This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

VST 7g baskets

Hi,

I'd really like to explore producing single shots. I have an IMS "The Single" and have had mixed results. I do wonder whether it's design is something of a compromise in order to allow people to use a 58mm tamper.

Has anyone tried a dedicated 7g basket, such as the VST precision 7g? I realise this requires a separate tamper, but I wonder if it will give better results.

Comments

• I have used the VST 7g basket, only not with a Londinium.

You're right, it works best with a tamp that is designed to fit the basket in the basket. The results were excellent.

I'm trying to remember where I got the tamp base from...
  • You need a 41 mm tamper, the basket can hold about 8.5 grams of coffee

I once got a nice funnel for that basket that allows you to even tamp with it, from this store:

http://www.tidaka.net/de/Board-Trichter/Boardtrichter-LM1-Groesse-M-mattInnendurchmesser-412mm.html

41 mm tamper are available, concept art for example:

http://www.amazon.de/Concept-Art-bf41-Tamper-Unterteil-Edelstahl/dp/B007CJIZIQ

Kfir.
  • MattW post=9802 wrote: Hi,

I'd really like to explore producing single shots. I have an IMS "The Single" and have had mixed results. I do wonder whether it's design is something of a compromise in order to allow people to use a 58mm tamper.

Has anyone tried a dedicated 7g basket, such as the VST precision 7g? I realise this requires a separate tamper, but I wonder if it will give better results.

I wasn't happy with results from the IMS SINGLE either. However, I am very pleased with the shots I am pulling from my LMS Strada 7g basket. They taste quite different to the singles I obtain by splitting a 14g shot with a double-spout portafilter, gentler and rounder yet full of flavour.

Matt
  • I have been using the OEM single basket and The Single IMS and dose them to 10g. I use a Reg Barber Euro Curved tamper that fit snugly.
  • i suspect when you talk single you are referring to the conventional 7g dose, 28g shot weight

but for a ristretto using a 12g dose, 8g shot weight i couldn't be happier with the IMS The Single

perfection as far i'm concerned.
  • Reiss Gunson post=9818 wrote: i suspect when you talk single you are referring to the conventional 7g dose, 28g shot weight

The formula I use is 7g dose, 14g shot weight, for a brew ratio of 50%
  • Reiss Gunson post=9818 wrote: i suspect when you talk single you are referring to the conventional 7g dose, 28g shot weight

but for a ristretto using a 12g dose, 8g shot weight i couldn't be happier with the IMS The Single

perfection as far i'm concerned.

This is a tad too short for me. My usual "double" ratio is something like 15g->27g so I'd like to achieve something similar in a single dose, maybe 7g->13g. I'm not really looking for a ristretto. When I've tried it with IMS The Single it doesn't seem to be able to produce good longer shots like this.
  • fair enough too.
  • I drink fairly light roast coffee and ristrettos can be a bit harsh
  • For what it's worth, here are the parameters issued by the Italian Espresso National Institute:

Note: they use a volume measure for what's in the cup, 25ml, which given that the relatively light crema will form say 15% of that, equates to a shot weight of about 21g (brew ratio, 33%).

Matt
  • Matthew Hoffman post=9824 wrote: they use a volume measure for what's in the cup, 25ml, which given that the relatively light crema will form say 15% of that, equates to a shot weight of about 21g (brew ratio, 33%).

Volume of crema varies wildly (type of bean, freshness, timing) so I think a volume rule leaves it all to guesswork.

picture source:

http://josumacoffee.tumblr.com/post/77619957870/robustamyth
  • Yes. Very interesting photo demonstration. I wonder what is the real weight of the average single espresso served in an Italian coffee bar.
  • Based on my experience, I'd probably say the average I've received is in the neighborhood of 12g. Some more, some less.

I've never tried the VST single, but I have the LM Strada 7g basket and love it. I'm looking for 8g in/11g out. Of course, my normal "double" is with a IMS 24.5 and I'm dosing 14.5, shooting for 23g in the cup.

This is with typically darker Italian roasts.
  • Salvatore Taibi post=9878 wrote: Based on my experience, I'd probably say the average I've received is in the neighborhood of 12g. Some more, some less.

I've never tried the VST single, but I have the LM Strada 7g basket and love it. I'm looking for 8g in/11g out. Of course, my normal "double" is with a IMS 24.5 and I'm dosing 14.5, shooting for 23g in the cup.

This is with typically darker Italian roasts.

What is the target shot time of a single? Is it the same as a double, i.e. around 25 seconds? Or shorter?
  • Shot time should remain the same.
  • When I was using the VST 7g basket I loaded it with 8.5-9g of coffee in the center and tamped hard with a 41mm tamper.
    I aimed for 22-23 seconds usually and 17-18g in the cup.

This basket can produce great single shots but a good thick double shot is hard to beat...

Kfir.
  • To each his own, Kfir. I'd much prefer a good, thick single of around 12g in the cup!
  • Followed by another a few minutes later, of course!