This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

A boost to pre-infusion pressure on the L1

Having read the spate of posts about the advantages of the 3bar PI pressure available on the L1-P, I decided to try to ramp up the PI pressure on my L1 by adopting the "Fellini" lever move often written about on Home-Barista.com. After a shorter PI than usual (at boiler pressure 1.2), I've lifted the lever to just above where it catches and held it there. Drips appear almost immediately and after a moment I allow the lever to resume its usual course. The greater saturation of the puck (attested by the drips) results in a faster pour at the same grind. I think there may be more mouth-feel too.

Matt

Comments

• Matthew Hoffman post=9776 wrote: Having read the spate of posts about the advantages of the 3bar PI pressure available on the L1-P, I decided to try to ramp up the PI pressure on my L1 by adopting the "Fellini" lever move often written about on Home-Barista.com. After a shorter PI than usual (at boiler pressure 1.2), I've lifted the lever to just above where it catches and held it there. Drips appear almost immediately and after a moment I allow the lever to resume its usual course. The greater saturation of the puck (attested by the drips) results in a faster pour at the same grind. I think there may be more mouth-feel too.

Matt
    Hi Matt,

I'd like to confirm the use of the lever in ways other than just gently letting it release.

I think your approach is one way of getting better saturation. Lately I have let the lever rise to where it's just catching and then pulling down again to get more water. I understand the risk of upsetting the puck but being wet, it settles very easily. The lever catches a little earlier on the second release because we now have a little more water above the puck. Still getting a single cone very early (under 6 sec) and the right flow rate.

I've had my L1 for about 10 months without any maintenance issues. Over the last month, I have noticed the lever catching a little higher so maybe it's getting close to replacing the piston seals.

Trevor