This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Compak R120 and other big burr grinders

I thought it best to post a new topic vs taking over the espresso grinder thread.

A few questions re the R120 and probably EK, Bunn-zilla and others.

My limited experience with the R120 might be echoing what has already been stated- there's a higher extraction using a huge flat burr. I'm thinking this could translate into some real world changes in how shots are pulled.

So today I cut my shot shorter than my usual 1:2 ratio. Just a little, 18g in and 31.1 out. I feared it might be lacking but when I did a full 1:2 ratio there was some unpleasantness pulled out.

It turns out that even with less volume out the shot is crazy potent. I can use this amount to make a 16oz Americano with plenty of strength.

Is that just a perception thing on my part or does that make sense in that higher extraction % in a little less yield is just as 'strong' and probably correct? I'm not one to use 'correct' when it comes to personal preference on how to pull shots, what I'm wondering is if that notion is correct as to why a small yield is still plenty strong.

Thanx for any input!

Comments

• To be certain about "strength" you could use a refractometer.

I had a similar sensation though. I can get a full wealth of taste in 30g espresso from 15g in the VST 15g basket if I produce the grinds on the R120.

Until I got the R120 I would mostly use the 18g basket.

It would seem that one can save on beans when one invests in a high end grinder.
  • Excellent point about investing in the grinder and saving on beans Frans, I might use that line.

I trust my tastebuds, and the extraction readings shared by those with refractometers :) .

Or am I putting off learning to use my VST refractometer.... ugh another measurement.

test file