This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Steaming and extraction relationship

Hello everybody,

I´m a Rancilio Silvia and Rocky owner from Norway planning on upgrading my machinery. I´m very intrigued by the beauty and simplicity of the L1 and it´s currently on the top of my list (the distance to number two – a Rocket R58 – is growing by the day). The grinder will probably be an HG One.

Anyways; I have a couple of questions that I haven´t found out myself:

1) Relationship between steaming and extracting:
My understanding is that the L1 is a single boiler. Does that mean that I have to wait (or flush repeatedly) between steaming milk and extraction of the next espresso? I´m primarily an espresso drinker myself, but it would be great if the cappuccino abilities are better than my Silvia.

2) Plumbing:
Is the L1 currently shipping as a tank machine with full plumbing capacity? So that I can choose at a later time if I want to plumb in one or both ways?

3) Back side:
What does the back side look like? Is there a logo or does it look more or less like the sides?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Thomas R.

Comments

• Thomas Ramberg post=9721 wrote:
    My understanding is that the L1 is a single boiler. Does that mean that I have to wait (or flush repeatedly) between steaming milk and extraction of the next espresso?

Not at all. You can pull an espresso and steam at the same time even.

I never understood why "tiny boiler" systems are called "single boiler" which confuses people.
    Thomas Ramberg post=9721 wrote: So that I can choose at a later time if I want to plumb in one or both ways?

https://londiniumespresso.com/store/londinium-espresso-accessories/accessories/enhanced-plumbing-kit
  • Thanks for your quick reply, Mr. Goddijn! Good to hear that steaming works well.

I have now read some more (http://coffeegeek.com/guides/howtobuyanespressomachine/manualmachines) and understand that the boiler runs at steam temperature all the time and that the overall construction/design takes care of the brew temperature.

Kind regards,

Thomas.
  • Thomas Ramberg post=9721 wrote:
    3) Back side:
    What does the back side look like? Is there a logo or does it look more or less like the sides?

Well there is a logo and some vent slots.

• Thanks for the image Mr. Randell!

Some nice touches there. It will be standing on a benchtop bordering to our living room, so great to see that the back side also have been thoughtfully designed.

Kind regards,

Thomas.
  • thank you for your expression of interest thomas. thank you frans and jacob for replying before me

its a awful long way from a Silvia, and so it should be as it costs a lot more. every one of our machines represents best in class value for money

that does not mean we are the least expensive, but it means as a whole package we give you more for your money than anyone else

we now make all L1s as tank machines and then offer an optional (extra cost) plumbing kit that may be ordered in part or in whole, depending on your needs
  • Thank you Reiss for taking the time to answer and clarify. Much appreciated!

I have no doubts about the value of the L1 – I also consider this a long term investment in quality of life :-)

Best regards,
    Thomas.
  • Going from a Silvia to an L-I, especially the 240V version, would be like hopping off your horse and stepping into a starship.

I have had both the Silvia and the L-I.
  • Ha ha! Looking forward to board the L1 and discover new worlds of espresso. To Londinium and beyond!