This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

L2 for a new cafe

Hello everyone,

I am a micro roaster from Quebec/Canada and i am working with peoples to help them open a nice cafe in a new commercial building. Tomorrow we will meet the designer of the cafe bar and i have one question. We will get an L2 and i need to know what you think will be the best counter bar height to install the machine for an average barista? The bar will be in a U shape.

I am thinking of placing the two espresso grinders to the left of the machine, a scale in front with an integrated knockbox just beside to his right. Then, the tamping station will be either in front of the scale or to the right of the knockbox (will decide later) and on the right front of the L2 we will place a pitcher rinser integrated in the counter so it will be flat. There will be a second scale under the group ready to weight the espresso shots.

The rest of the setup is easier to plan but the espresso setup required to carefully think everything. Right now the info i really need to get is what would be the best counter height to work on an L2?

Thanks,
Séb

Comments

• Standard bench height is 900mm in the countries i am familiar with

I would suggest a bench height between 900mm and 1000mm
  • When I went to a Barista school at a Coffee Lab in Vermont the suggested design was knock box, grinder, machine. They didn't really mention a height, for that I'd go with Reiss' suggestion of 30-39". It is nice to have a lower surface for shorter Baristi to tamp. At my old shop the counter top was just tall enough to accommodate an under the counter fridge, and it stuck up a bit which was handy for shorter employees to tamp the coffee.

You should have a fridge with milk & such nearby, and under the machine is a very easy place for it so take that into consideration.
  • The height of the operator is the biggest problem. I am 5'6" and my wife if 4'10" (we are both shrinking) so the counter height has an effect on what we do there. Our counters are 36" and are fine for me and a bit of a reach for my wife.