This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Handy article about dialling in espresso

http://europeancoffeetrip.com/pdf/5-LCwG-handling-and-dailling-in.pdf

Several interesting tips like:

My starting point for beverage weight is:
• Darker roasts: 66% EBF, 1g coffee to 1.5g beverage weight, aiming for about 22-25 secs
• Medium/ light: 50% EBF, 1g of coffee to 2g beverage weight, I aim for around 27-30 secs.
• Light roasts (often called filter roasts): 38% EBF, 1g coffee to 2.6g beverage weight in 19-22 secs

Comments

• How does your routine compare Frans?
  • I agree with his findings for medium/light roasts. I never deal with dark roasts and few times when I had a struggle with very light roasts, those were not just light but also not very well developed. If the very light roast smells promising and alive, then I try a 10% higher dose and finer grind, up to 45º turn on the HG One burr. If it's not wonderful then, I just throw it away.

Where he says:
    • Increasing beverage weight can also expose age and
    defects, by reducing the beverage weight these flavours can
    be disguised by increased strength.

I noticed that a shorter shot with the same dose & grind can be pleasant in a "stronger/salty" way, whereas a longer shot can "open up" a coffee, make it more expressive, speak/sing more, bit it will indeed also show more clearly if something is missing.

Since I get my roasts better, I enjoy more of the 'longer' shots. A Burundi that I roasted the 15th, 8 days ago, was delicious today with 17.6g in the basket, 36.3g in the cup, TDS 10 and 21.4% Extraction on the VST refractometer.
    Temperature from the grouphead is the last variable I change,
    I generally have my machine at 92.5c and leave it there.

I like it that Gwilym Davies only changes the temperature of his brew group as a very last resort. There is so much you can already do with grind/dose/tamp/timing.

I think some owners of different machines with a PID get lazy and think they must tweak the brew temp to "get it right". And while they think they tweak the brew temperature, they change the boiler temperature and often have no clue what the brew is doing, so they keep hunting for that wonderful shot they had yesterday in a way they cannot seem to reproduce.
  • thank you for posting frans - it is good to have more posts on actually making espresso, and the different possibilities
  • NB: EBF = espresso brew formula. if you want to know more about this we can expand
  • yup. I want to know more about espresso brew formula please.
    and the basket that comes with the naked portafilter. is it a 20g?

thanks!
  • our naked PF comes with the same double basket that is supplied with our double spout portafilter

Espresso brew formula (EBF) is a fancy term coined by some propellor head in the coffee world that simply means the dose divided by the brew weight

So, if you used 18g of coffee and the weight of the resulting beverage was 36g, that would give you an EBF of 50%

• Ali Al-Mutawa post=8425 wrote: yup. I want to know more about espresso brew formula please.
    and the basket that comes with the naked portafilter. is it a 20g?

thanks!

The basket for the "Double" or the "Naked" PF that comes with the L-I is the 16g basket that likes doses in the 15.6-.8g range as a maximum.

Get a bigger basket if you want larger doses.
  • Lazy? On the contrary.... OCD. Probably the only thing I'm OCD about :)

Thanx for posting this, I pulled some shots with my Vesuvius (yes, polar opposite from the Londinium) with two light roasts- Bali Kintamanti and Ethiopia Sidama Bonko. With just over 18g in and getting around 45+ out in 22 seconds using a profile that acts like a typical pump machine (5sec @ 2bar, the rest at 9) I got out some very pleasant shots. This did mellow them out a bit, this might be a good introduction to espresso for the un-initiated.

I did have my temp up at 203º, and ran out before I could drop the temp.

When I get the L II it'll most certainly NOT be pulling shots like this, more the medium roast 1:2 ratio.

This pdf got me out of my 'box' so thanks for sharing. Just another reason to sample everything instead of tossing them.
  • Frans- Any idea on when he starts timing the shots for those numbers? I went to the website and watched several videos but didn't find one labelled 'dialing in espresso.' The closest I found was the one about handling cups which is mentioned at the beginning and end of the .pdf.

I ask about timing because I see he's using a NS Aurelia II and my guess is that he is talking about from pump on to pump off time. SOME people don't start timing until they see espresso falling from the spouts, which is problematic as a bottomless PF will appear to start a few seconds earlier.

In order to keep things simple I'd suggest we all consider the start to be when water hits the puck. Pre-infusion or whatever you want to call it.

Thank you for the head's up on that site BTW. It's nice to see the basics reinforced with a smile and a pleasant accent (well, to me anyway).
  • Richard Gregory post=8562 wrote: Frans- Any idea on when he starts timing the shots for those numbers?

I don't know.

I personally start the timer when the first drop hits the cup. It will make the flow, the amount of grams per second, correct, rather than the average being lower because the first 7 seconds of pre-infusion there was only soaking and no flow.

As long as one uses one method consistently, it's fine with me. If someone says he pulls an espresso 7 seconds quicker or slower, I don't mind it much. If someone extracts twice the amount of espressos from the same dose/basket in about the same time, that's when I know we are talking of very different drinks and tastes.