This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

The new 1.0mm Steam tip

Today I received my new steam tip from Reiss and it works so well. The microfoam it produces is shiny and silky even though it was my first attempt with this new tip.

I'll get a photo or two to show tomorrow to show the result. I believe it is quicker and with less large bubbles than my former 1.0mm where the holes were much closer together and so it disperses the steam over a larger volume of milk rather than having a concerned burst.

I also think the milk tasted sweeter too!

Comments

• Are all new machines going to be shipped with this TIP Reiss?
  • As promised some photos.

With this steam tip, I now find I'm able to control how fine my microfoam becomes. The first drink I attempted today was done using only one hand to hold the jug as the other was holding my phone/camera. The result was that I let the jug drop down tot much and it gains a lot of extra air so that when I got the jug to temperature it almost came to the top of the jug BUT it was still uniform and quite useable. Probably better suited to a Cap than a Lat!

The first photo shows the starting point before I throw the toggle.

This photo is after I have the volume and it's now heating. The texture is evident.

Close-up of the latest jug just before I make the drink.

Nearly there!

The result.

Highly recommended.
  • Stephen Sweeney post=8275 wrote: Are all new machines going to be shipped with this TIP Reiss?

yes, absolutely, thats already in place. it took us since launch to get this right, which sounds daft, but now its done. tick.
  • thank you trevor for taking the time to report on that, with images

you're right; it is significantly better: as a small workshop business we haven't got the bandwidth to develop gimmicks

anything we offer has to deliver real and significant benefits

reiss.
  • I have been using the new tip for about a week. It makes the best looking and, more importantly, the best tasting microfoam I have ever made. For the rcord, I steam very small quantities of milk, maximum 150ml.
    Matt
  • That is good news! I cannot wait to try one when my new machine arrives, since my steaming ability has been less than encouraging.
  • I've just received the new steam tip from Reiss and immediately put it to work.

Milk texturing isn't my favourite thing. I'm a straight espresso drinker, but my wife and almost everyone else who visits prefers the latte. And because it's just my wife and I most of the time, I'm usually texturing a very small amount of milk each time.

The previous tip was pretty good at its job, however I found it difficult to get the 'vortex' started and needed to be constantly on guard in case I slipped and additional air was sucked in.... turning it into 90's style cappuccino!

Neither of those are a problem with the new tip.

The vortex forms easily and quickly and it seems to resist air suckage, so I'm very very happy with the update. Nice smooth microfoam with a much silkier texture than I've been able to achieve before.
  • I have to say, that I am not having the same experience as those above...

In my house, it is me who is the milk drinker, everyone else has theirs black.

My usual milk jug is a 25cl Motta, which generally has around 100ml of milk to steam.

I received my new nozzle last Thursday, and I have been using it ever since, in the hope that my technique improves.

My results are distinctly inferior to what I was getting with the older tip. Generally speaking, I have been getting what looks like good milk in the jug, but then once poured, larger than usual bubbles appear on the surface.

Anyway, yesterday afternoon, I had three guests and I employed the 75cl Motta jug... Result... absolutely perfectly stretched milk, a marvel... and much quicker than the old nozzle.

What seems to be the case, is a much more effective release of steam, and a more aggressive vortex develops, which makes it easier to make larger quantities quicker and better quality than before, but for me the compromise is currently too much power to lazily make enough for one flatty.

I expect I will get the new tip to produce as good milk as I used to get with the older one... Cue the three "Ps"... Practice, Practice, Practice. :)
  • Stephen,

I guess I should have mentioned the volume of milk in my posts. It's about 200mls and because it's so efficient, you have to be quick to control it to avoid bubbles. I've had a couple of not so good results.

So glad you have had some success. :)
  • not saying that it is necessarily relevant to your scenario stephen, but be aware that the acidity in light roasted coffees will curdle the milk, making it look like this:

(when i poured it there were no bubbles - this is after about 4 or 5 minutes)
  • Reiss Gunson post=8430 wrote: not saying that it is necessarily relevant to your scenario stephen, but be aware that the acidity in light roasted coffees will curdle the milk, making it look like this:

(when i poured it there were no bubbles - this is after about 4 or 5 minutes)

This was an immediate reaction, i.e. I poured the milk straight in as soon as I had finished steaming.

You may be onto something regarding the curdle though Reiss... It could be that the milk is getting hotter... (too hot) faster than I think?

As I said earlier, I did not have any trouble with the 75cl jug... I am just taking a little bit longer to learn how to handle 100ml or less, in the 25cl jug.
  • trying to texture 100ml or less makes life very hard I'm afraid

not saying it can't be done, but its a ball ache
  • Great discussion, and thanks to those who Posted the photos showing what the roast level can do to the foamed milk!
  • Stephen Sweeney post=8441 wrote: Great discussion, and thanks to those who Posted the photos showing what the roast level can do to the foamed milk!

That's more likely to be the lighting than the coffee Stephen, my coffee is likely to be a slightly darker roast than Reiss's, even though it is sold as a medium roast... (Square Mile Sweetshop blend).

I have got a flash firing over the top of my coffee, and Reiss is using the available light from Mordor, by all accounts, a dark and foreboding place.
  • I was looking at the bubbles more than the color but thanks for the heads up on the lighting.

The volume of liquid being steamed is also of interest because I never know what to put in the pitcher and now I will have a baseline :-)
  • Reiss Gunson post=8440 wrote: trying to texture 100ml or less makes life very hard I'm afraid

not saying it can't be done, but its a ball ache

Would you say, Reiss, that the two hole tip you offer is better for very small volumes of milk?

Matt
  • I use the 2-hole tip (2nd gen IIRC) and it works splendidly for making microfoam with smaller amounts of milk (< 100ml). Typically for the capps I make I steam about 50-75ml of milk...

Related: I just picked up the small (12oz) Espro Toroid 2 frothing/steaming pitcher and its my new favorite design. Highly recommended!
  • Dan Streight post=8452 wrote: .....
    Related: I just picked up the small (12oz) Espro Toroid 2 frothing/steaming pitcher and its my new favorite design. Highly recommended!

That's the jug pictured in my post #8282!