This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Outlandish coffee

Let's post pictures and data about some of the more exceptional coffees we sourced / roasted / used.

From a friend I got a few kg's of "Sumatra Mandheling" beans. They are obviously not well sorted / culled yet as the better beans are mixed with damaged beans, beans that have had insect trouble, beans that were half mashed by the machine that takes the fruit pulp off the cherry et cetera.

I spent a lot of time sorting through the beans before roasting and then again after roasting I took out the beans that were way too light, as if they were too moist to effectively absorb and process the heat of the roaster.

The result in the cup is delicious!

Unsorted:

Sorted, the rejects on the right:

Espresso, having used the new button tamper:

Comments

• I found that the shot lacked one thing... another shot!

• You are a very patient man but the result is a fine looking shot in the cup!
  • Thanks!

To be honest the after taste has a dryness in it that suggests my "rate of rise" should be a little higher in the later part of the roast so I'll work on that some more. It's interesting how the results of a change in roast profile can be smelled, and measured using a Tonino, right after the roast but the proof of the pudding is at least a few days later when the espresso is pulled. I could try to learn 'cupping' but the few cupping I've attended the hocus pocus and the communal sharing of saliva put me off a bit.

It does pay to stick to a certain bean when roasting for a few weeks, just as exploring one (set of) bag of beans for a while to grind and extract and optimize with one basket does teach me to find my way with a bean quickly.
  • Educating the palate and logging what was done with the roast are important to the home roaster.

I tend to just wing it and my results at roasting are sometimes great and others pure crap. I know what to do but am way to lazy to try to learn it and put it into practice.

Some beans roast with a better visual result as well as a more pleasant odor. Decaf beans are much harder to judge the level of roast with the naked eye and maybe a Tonino would help with that.

I have enjoyed your scientific approach Frans, and seeing its results! Keep it coming :-)
  • thank you for this super post frans - it makes a huge difference to the taste in the cup doing what you did for a coffee like a Sumatran, which are typically poorly graded

if any one else has found coffees that they particularly enjoy, please feel free to post

kind regards

reiss.
  • The two friends at the specialty coffee cafe have also tried the Mandheling beans on their grinders / espresso machine and they love it (see their text message quoted / translated below) but in the far distance of the after taste there is still something dry, so I must tweak the roast profile a bit more.

PS: used up the last three portions of these beans and ended on a higher temperature, will know more in a week!
  • I just heard that Erna Knutsen, the "grand old lady of specialty coffee" and actually the person who invented the term specialty coffee, is extremely fond of Sumatra Mandheling.

http://www.coffeeawesome.net/august-31-erna-knutsen-a-portrait-of-a-coffee-pioneer/

On another note: the LONDINIUM I is so very helpful in bringing about the best in a good roast. I feel it is so easy to get a splendid extraction providing the beans are fine. On a pump machine this requires a little more effort at best and a lot of experimentation at worst, but the LI lever squeezes out that delicious espresso as soon as it gets hold of nice grounds.

Below one of Colombian beans that I bought green maybe as long as 5 months ago. I did not get the roast profile right at first but I did not throw away the beans as they smell wonderful so I knew there was something to get out of them and now I got it.

• Frans, do you have a good web site for acquiring those beans?
  • Frans, do you have a good web site for acquiring those beans?
  • I very rarely buy green beans online as there are enough local roasters here in Amsterdam who have a varying collection of beans that I can buy a few kg's from now and again, also a friend who roasts & lives around the corner has another friend who sometimes sends him 10kg of beans that he likes and he then shares with me again. I'm glad these small logistic lines are growing and I hope over time many more people will be able to buy green in the neighborhood.
  • You are correct about the desirability of a small supply chain.
  • I purchased some excellent Sumatran from Bodhi Leaf Coffee ... I really liked this one ... SUMATRA VOLKOLPI MANDHELING GRADE 1 The site has a home roasters page ... look at the top left center and click on the home roasters banner.

Another good supplier of coffee for folks.

Steve
  • Thanks for the information Steve. I think this is the Link to their site.

http://www.bodhileafcoffee.com/

Will try some of their offerings :-)

Was that bean that you mentioned any particular Lot #?
  • If you sign up for their mailing list .. the let you in on sales of their new coffee ... (weekend specials) ... I was low on Sumatran so went for these

Sumatra Volkolpi Mandheling Grade 1 (5LB ($5.85 per lb))
    Sumatra Rainforest Alliance Lintong Gr 1 (5LB ($5.91 per lb))
    Sumatra Rainforest Alliance Mandheling Gr 1 (5LB ($5.63 per lb))

(got a discount at checkout) ... The Vokoloi and the RFA Mandheling were my two favorite of the 3 and would order either again.
    (drinking the RFA Mandheling as I type!)

In my experience most Sumatran beans need to be gone over before roasting to improve the flavor by picking out what seem to be beans that have been injured in the drying process. Lots of "tortured beans" in there very unique way of processing beans in Sumatra (can read more on this from Tom at Sweet Maria's) ... love the "walking in the Olympic rain forest taste" though.

Steve
  • Thanks! Just ordered some of their Sumatran beans. The Volkopi, Lintong and Mandheling decaf (wife like the zero buzz).
  • I did sign up for their mailing list since their web site is organized and professional AND their prices are good!
  • Steve Egge post=7807 wrote: I purchased some excellent Sumatran from Bodhi Leaf Coffee ... I really liked this one ... SUMATRA VOLKOLPI MANDHELING GRADE 1 The site has a home roasters page ... look at the top left center and click on the home roasters banner.

Another good supplier of coffee for folks.

Steve

Thanks for posting Steve

Better coffee and better grinders are the missing pieces of the puzzle once you have an L1
  • One thing we do not need: coffee tasting like a horse or a chimpanzee... see video below. I have tasted their coffee a few times, also visited the company on a Nespresso coffee pod-tasting session. Very pleasant people, all young bright and handsome and full of energy. The first time they had a wonderful roast by a master roaster here in town, then later they chose to roast "for the average customer" as they call it, darker, sending out beans roasted at least month ago. Their idealistic approach is to have coffee roasted in the country of origin and accept that the quality will be less, but the image of the brand makes up for it:

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]TNIJqnaCs8Q
  • That was hilarious!

What Cafe' was it that had those cups?? Moyee?
  • Definitely not SCAA cupping protocol!
    Hilarious!

:unsure:
  • Stephen Sweeney post=7863 wrote: What Cafe' was it that had those cups?? Moyee?

The clip was by/about Moyee indeed. I never noticed the cups. Would you like me to try & get one for you?
  • That is very kind of you, yes :-)

In fact I have had one sitting here for you for about a week.
  • Hilarious video! I bet they were pretty hungry after that ;)
  • Paul Marshall post=7869 wrote: Hilarious video! I bet they were pretty hungry after that ;)

I am surprised that brownies were not being served in lieu of hors d'oeuvres.
  • Stephen Sweeney post=7863 wrote: What Café was it that had those cups?? Moyee?

I picked up your Moyee espresso cup & saucer 5 minutes ago, will pack& mail to you tomorrow!
  • The funny movie clip is successful: over 24.000 views so far, the man at Moyee told me.
  • I never knew about Lupine as a food source! Thanks for the enlightenment and for the warning about the burrs being stressed by the hard shells of the Lupine.

Where did you get the burrs, just standard Mazzer?
  • I ordered new burrs from HG One. I am aware that the burrs from Italy make an expensive round trip to the US and then back again to me, but I wanted to be sure they would fit right away.