This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Why Did I Wait So Long?

I changed the piston seals today, after nearly two years using the original seals. For the last 6 weeks or so I've had a myriad of problems with my espresso, and had the hunch that it was all related to the seals, but the stubbornness in me resisted changing them, wanting to get two years out of them.

I really don't know why I waited so long. The problems haven't been worth it , as the espresso has been very ordinary to say the least.

Changing the piston seals over wasn't all that difficult, and using a couple of small Hex Keys to guide the new seals over the slots for the other seals made it a fairly straight forward activity. Everything was lubed up with the Loxeal #4 Silicon Grease and went back together smoothly. I also changed the shower screen while I was at it.

The old seals had hardened considerably, tearing apart as I pried them out of position. They were well and truly deformed, from the past two years of use. It was easy to see what was causing all my problems.

In fact the most time consuming portion of the whole process was reseating the shower screen gasket. SWMBO insisted on her morning latte, so the machine was not absolutely cold when I did the seal change, which made things a little more difficult with the shower screen gasket.

Still, I had it all back together and making coffee in under and hour. And making great coffee again.

I think I'll make this an annual event in the future. Moral of the story - don't be stubborn or procrastinate when it comes to changing the piston seals, just do it and you won't regret it one little bit.

Comments

• Thanks for posting Karl

How long did they take to get from UK to Northern Queensland?
  • The seals left the UK on a Thursday, arrived in NQ on Sunday, but it took a further 3 days for me to get the seals, due to the local contractor for DHL not delivering to my preferred address, and not being at the delivery address when the delivery arrived, which incurred another days wait, and me having to go to the depot to pick up the delivery.

In comparison, I bought some IMS baskets from Bella Barista about the and they left the UK a day earlier via Royal Mail, and by the time I got the seals, the baskets had arrived. £38.92 vs £6.60 and a day or two difference? Not what I call good value for money in shipping costs.

DHL itself isn't the problem, it's the contractor at this end that's the problem, which is why I would like to see a Royal Mail alternative for smaller items shipping international. At least then I know that the items would be delivered to my preferred address within a reasonable time frame, at a reasonable cost. But that's a business decision that's up to you.
  • Hi Karl
    That's interesting, thanks for posting
    We'll have to do something about that
    Perhaps DHL for high value items only
    That's crazy
    Reiss
  • It's clear that this year we need to progress from startup mode to the next stage, where we review all our processes and look for better ways to deliver our products and communicate with you
  • Where possible I plan on buying all my machine maintenance products from your business, and as an extra treat I may lash out and get one of your tampers :cheer:

I still fervently believe in this machine and the espresso it delivers. I've just got to change the seals more frequently in future B)
  • Yes, but the answer to the title of this thread appears to be, 'because the shipping charges are too high'

We have to address that
  • There's that, and the fact that I can be a right tight bastard at times. :lol:
  • Karl Ashman post=7563 wrote: There's that, and the fact that I can be a right tight bastard at times. :lol:

There is no shame in being frugal!
  • Shipping, I know I have complained about this before, that DHL was super expensive and at times very slow, but today I was very surprised.

I ordered a part last Thursday late Seattle time. The part left Birmingham England Monday morning and a few minutes ago it arrived at my door!!! I could not mail a letter across town that fast!!

Kudos for having a super system when it is needed. Now when my machine comes on the Power On lamp will be lit :-)