This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

A couple of newb questions

Hi all,

As a new owner, I have a couple of questions I hope you can answer for me:

1 - I've read many times that the recommend starting point for ratios is 15.8g into 28g output in about 28 seconds. However, the roaster of my coffee has a recommended recipe of 20g into 42g in 30 seconds. I expect their recipe is not for a lever machine, so do different rules apply? Or is it likely that something closer to their ratio is worth considering (perhaps 16g -> 33g for example)?

2 - When the machine is on and idle, the red 'heater' light kicks in about once every minute. Is that normal?

3 - I know that a light tamp is recommend. Can anyone try and describe how light is 'light'?!

Thanks!

Comments

• MattW post=6295 wrote: 1 - I've read many times that the recommend starting point for ratios is 15.8g into 28g output in about 28 seconds. However, the roaster of my coffee has a recommended recipe of 20g into 42g in 30 seconds.

For simplicity, to get a delicious shot easiest and as soon as possible after first installing the machine, it's helpful to have one recipe / time / dose. The standard basket that you have with the L1 is not really large enough to hold the 20g that your roaster uses, though.
    MattW post=6295 wrote: 2 - When the machine is on and idle, the red 'heater' light kicks in about once every minute. Is that normal?

Perfectly normal. The boiler cools down a little, the heater comes on and clicks off when the boiler is a little warmer again, a normal cycle. It is regulated by the pressostat, which measures pressure (temperature and pressure are brother/sister here).
    MattW post=6295 wrote: 3 - I know that a light tamp is recommend. Can anyone try and describe how light is 'light'?!

There are video's on this forum, but it may help to keep in mind that it's essential to tamp the grinds to have a flat surface on an even distribution. Not flattening a mountain of grinds in the middle or on one side. Like a handshake, no need for a 'weak handed' tamp or a "squeeze their painful hands" handshake. Compacting the grinds a little to get the flat surface not trying to create a stone hard cake.
  • Frans is correct.

If you have time check out the Orphan Espresso Video Vault and in the Kyocera Hand Grinder video it discusses the tamps for a lever machine. Check out their other videos involving grinders and he talks more about it too!
  • hi matt

thanks for posting

one of the things that took me from a cushy corporate job to doing this if simply a freedom to explore, an escape from templates, checklists, continuing professional development, and a general suffocation of any deviation from 'best practice' which often isn't best, but simply what has been documented as 'the company way'

so anything you read here, at least anything i write is intended as a guideline

i implore everyone to get out on the edge and experiment - squeeze a drop or two of freshly squeezed mint or lemon, or a couple of drops of vodka or limoncello, or whatever takes your fancy

id love to see some images of recipes and cocktails with espresso in them from the L1

try my 15.8g in the standard basket for 27g of espresso in 27s from when it first hits the cup

try what your local roaster suggest, as frans said you will need a bigger basket to get 20g in, but note the comments from the Scott Rao lecture where the pros are stepping down from triple shots - anything over 20g is no longer the norm and interestingly Scott and friends are more around the 18g level now

my suggestions are simply for people who post here going I've just got my new L1 and it all sucks and I'm getting horrid espresso and i wish id never bought this sodding thing - please help! - they are middle of the road instructions to yield results that are going to be broadly agreeable to as many palates as possible

kind regards

reiss.
  • in a similar vein, there is no substitute for simply pulling more coffee

this time of year when you are likely to have friends or family around, there is no better tool you can buy to improve your barista schools than a kilo of beans from you favourite local roaster and when the visitors turn up start pulling espresso and just keep it rolling until the whole kilo is gone

my view having done this for a few years now is that the performance of most home baristas suffers from a single, common reason; you don't pull enough shots in a session

with the L1 you now have the tool for knocking out back to back espresso as fast as you can prep the basket: get into it & watch your skills improve in just one hour

i am very much of the view now that the very hardest way to make an exceptional espresso is as a one-off beverage

most of you don't need to buy any more gizmos or bits of coffee related junk this xmas - just start using what you have and buy better coffee! a better grinder will always make you look very clever

work that L1 this festive season!
  • Frans Goddijn post=6296 wrote:

There are video's on this forum, but it may help to keep in mind that it's essential to tamp the grinds to have a flat surface on an even distribution. Not flattening a mountain of grinds in the middle or on one side. Like a handshake, no need for a 'weak handed' tamp or a "squeeze their painful hands" handshake. Compacting the grinds a little to get the flat surface not trying to create a stone hard cake.

I'm sorry for bumping an old thread, but I'm reading back as I drink my morning coffee :)

Frans, this might be the best description of tamp pressure that I have read!

Thanks!