This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

compak e-10 retention

Hello,
Can somebody tell me the coffee retention of the e-10?
Is it more than the K-10 fresh??
Is the k-10 pro barista better in this?
Any opinion on the single dosing hopper for the k-10 from orphan espresso?
Many thanks
Martin

Comments

• hi martin

I've got a K10 fresh and you're really looking at a two double shot purges in the morning, certainly one anyway

kelsey took delivery of an E10 today i believe, so after he's moved house he may venture an opinion, but i think you'll find its much the same as the K10f - the great thing about the E10 is Compak ditched the daft worm gear adjustment and gone back to the conventional direct adjustment of the top burr, and with it the even sillier electronic coarseness 'counter'

The K10 pro barista Dave Hyde has & i know he likes it (a lot) so he might chime in too - i doubt it is much different in terms of grind retention - its a feature of large conicals I'm afraid

what dosered grinders do offer i think (over electronic / on demand) grinders is better distribution i think

i can't comment on the Orphan product as i haven't used it

best

reiss.
  • Retention in the K10 PB can be significantly reduced by cleaning the exit chute with a small brush.
    Doing an extra 2 pulses and cleaning the chute with the brush will reduce it almost to zero.

That's valid only for single dosing, when using a hopper full of beans you can't clear all the grounded coffee but still by just brushing the chute once you can cut the retention by half.

As Reiss mentioned the K10 fresh retention is at least a full double shot and sometimes even more, it is not suitable for frequent changes of coffee beans or grind size.

I don't have hands on experience with the new E10 but from the pictures the body seems very similiar to the K10 PB and also the top collar and the hopper so I think the orphan espresso mini hopper will fit just fine.

But bare in mind that single dosing without the ability to clean the exit chute like on the K10 pb will not work very well, I once tried it with the fresh and it was not working for me.

Kfir.
  • I have been a L1 owner since March 2013 but haven't previously posted on the forum as my L1 has always been trouble free. I have enjoyed reading posts on the forum and learned a lot.

I have recently acquired a nearly new K-10 Fresh grinder and have been reading comments about retention and single dosing.

Single dosing on a K-10 Fresh with near zero retention is perfectly possible. Simply remove the hopper and attach a 58mm collapsible rubber camera lens hood to the throat of the grinder. These are available on EBay (although when I looked just now there was every size but 58mm for sale). The threaded plastic ring which attaches the lens hood to the camera isn't needed.

This is a modification popular with Mazzer owners but it works even better with the K-10 F.

16g of beans placed in the rubber hopper produced 13g of grinds, a couple of pulses and a gentle press with the palm of my hand on the rubber hopper expelled the remaining 3g.

My first test with the rubber hopper was done immediately after opening up the machine and cleaning the grinding chamber. On this test 0.9g failed to be expelled but subsequently 16g in resulted in 16g out.

The rubber hopper seems a much better solution compared with the vary expensive single dosing modifications I have seen on US websites.

I much prefer using the normal hopper and using the timed dosing as designed but I like the ability to easily switch to the rubber lens hood hopper and single dose when required.

I'll try and post a photo to illustrate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Bill, are you using RDT while employing the camera hood???

I use a puff of air down the throat of my Kony but the camera hood idea is a good one. Any particular brand or source besides E-Bay??
  • thank you bill for your common sense contribution

you are now able to post anywhere on this forum

kind regards

reiss.
  • Hi Stephen, I haven't tried RDT as static has never been a serious problem. I hesitate before introducing moisture to steel burrs although feel sure that the oils in the beans will provide protection.

The rubber lens hood is available on Amazon for £2.99 including postage :-
    Phot-R® 58mm PRO Universal Collapsible Rubber Multi-Lens Hood for Wide Angle Lenses inc. Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Sigma & More
    £2.99
    There are similar items on the U.S. Amazon site at $7.99.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • I have used RDT with the HG-One and the Mazzer Kony-E for well over a year with zero rusting of the burrs and it sure helps in clearing the grinder of residual grounds with that puff of air (Kony).