This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Newcomer and Eager!

Greetings!

'twas but a mere few months ago I dabbled into the forums. The dabbling turned into hours of endless research, study, and inquiry.

A week or two went by and I found myself at Dan Streight's home in NorCal. We spent hours together, drinking espresso, sharing interests, and enjoying good company. Those were the best drinks I've ever had. I was sold.

Another two months later and I'm happy to report my L1 is on the way, trailed by an HG One and a few L1 accessories.

I thank Reiss and the members of this site for your generous support, information, and passion. It is amazing to see how an interest in espresso leads to many friendships and supportive relationships.

I would also like to extend myself, my knowledge and my other passion to you all, should you be interested.

I am a straight razor restorationist and honemeister. I have a 5-star Yelp rated business in Los Angeles, Blade & Stone. Please check me out at http://tiny.cc/2jswxw and http://bladeandstone.wordpress.com .

I feel that for lever guys and/or standard transmission drivers, the next logical progression is a venture into straight razor shaving. Please give me a shout if you have been curious about this, but would like to learn more.

I've attached one of my recent projects here. This is a pre 1920's Sheffield, England razor from Wade & Butcher. One of the best vintage producers of all time, IMHO.

Best wishes to you all and stay sharp!

Comments

• thanks for posting here ben

the same goes for all of you - feel free to open threads promoting your businesses here - just clearly label the thread as the name of your business - include a link back to your business and all that - no need to be bashful

you've supported me in becoming an L1 owner so i am more than happy to return the favour

you never know who is interested in what you've got for sale and it makes the forum a lot more interesting i think

now for me to go and book ben's machine out - we should be able to despatch tomorrow ben

best

reiss
  • Ben, welcome to the fold of L-I owners!

The comparison of simple old world methods is not lost on me since I shaved with a straight razor for almost 20 years and still have my grandfathers Double Duck. Funny how things come full circle.

When you look through these Threads you questions will be answered but use the "Search" button rather than wasting time with just looking ;)
  • Welcome, Ben

Hope you enjoy the forum. Theres a ton of experience and advice here.

FYI also a straight razor enthusiast... After a few years I've settles on a simpson wee scot brush, Arko stick soap and a Wostenholm 8/8 Celebrated razor.

Also went with the HGone as well.
  • Ben: Oh how fun all things espresso are going to get for you and everyone around you ;).

Isn't the feeling, presumably just like when you were 9 years old and right before Christmas/insert preferred flavor here :D, just the best?!
  • we despatched ben's machine on monday from birmingham & he received it the very next day in california - I'm not saying that is representative of what the average californian customer can expect, but it is worth a mention i think

we spent some time on Skype video today and got Ben in the zone

i really don't know why more customers don't avail themselves of this service - i find email and text are easily misconstrued

video will get you up and running in a fraction of your time and my time

neither is it good to spend too long wrestling with something on your own or you start to lose confidence in your purchase

i would much rather spend a couple of hours on Skype with someone from the moment they open the box until they pull the first shot than have them struggle for a couple of weeks before coming an asking for help

our machines are very simple to use and not one person that i am aware of has been unable to master it quickly

if you are not completely satisfied with the results you are achieving, even if you have owned your L1 for a long time, please feel free to contact me - I'm generally on deck for 18 hours a day so you won't have to wait too many hours for a response. if you can avoid contacting me on a sunday that would be helpful

best

reiss.
  • Reiss is over the top. Over the first few days he spent well over 4 hours on and off with me making sure I was completely satisfied and assisted to get the best results. This is not to say that it takes this long to get good results, more a reflection of my lack of knowledge. In no time (relatively) I was getting great shots.

Couldn't be happier to have bought a Londinium as my first espresso machine. I usually don't dabble in things, I'm in or out...fully. Glad I made the right dive. Could not have asked for better service. Reiss had my machine from door to door in less than 24 hours... Birmingham to Los Angeles in a day! Rediculous!

P.S. Special thanks to Dan Streight for working with me intensively over the days to help out and guide me along. This community is such an honor to be a part of.

Cheers to all.
  • Ben Berger post=5316 wrote: Reiss is over the top. Over the first few days he spent well over 4 hours on and off with me making sure I was completely satisfied and assisted to get the best results. This is not to say that it takes this long to get good results, more a reflection of my lack of knowledge. In no time (relatively) I was getting great shots.

Couldn't be happier to have bought a Londinium as my first espresso machine. I usually don't dabble in things, I'm in or out...fully. Glad I made the right dive. Could not have asked for better service. Reiss had my machine from door to door in less than 24 hours... Birmingham to Los Angeles in a day! Rediculous!

P.S. Special thanks to Dan Streight for working with me intensively over the days to help out and guide me along. This community is such an honor to be a part of.

Cheers to all.

That is blazing fast delivery!
  • Good to hear your espresso is coming along Ben! It's fun to help someone else elevate their espresso habit all things LI, HG-One, Pharos, etc. Thanks to Stephen Sweeney for being my sponsor before and after I got my LI (and of course Reiss, et al); he helped me immeasurably up my 'spro game!

Its a paradox in ways: How something so inanimate could initiate precious and wonderful human relationships! I've had the fortune to witness this in many different mechanical/electro-mechanical arenas...the Londinium LI being no exception.

Cheers!

Dan