This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

God Shots

Curious to hear your definition of the elusive, for me anyway, "God Shot" and how often you get them. And if you are able to reproduce them with regularity what is your secret(s)?

Every once in a while I get one. The last one was a week ago. I bought some Guatemala A'achimbal from 10-Speed Roasters in Hood River Oregon while there for a wedding and started pulling shots on my LI as soon as we got back home.

The first shot, 5-days post roast last Tuesday, was what I consider to be a God Shot. It had pronounced and separate layers of flavor including toasted cashew, strawberry and a nice salty-caramel finish/aftertaste; and rich crema with creamy body too. 16g into an 18g VST and 30grams espresso weight. Didn't happen to have my thermocouple attached that day but it was the regular routine: 1-hour on/hot; quick 1-second pre-basket loading flush; 3-5 second pre-infusion...all regular and consistent for me.

I can count on both hands how many true God Shots/ 10 on a 10 scale, shots I've had...most of them at home and a few from very persnickety roaster/cafe on Lineas.

Although subsequent shots since last Tuesday have been very nice I have not been able to repeat the feat even with the same rest period from beans ala freezer. I guess that's what makes them so special...:)

Comments

• Dan Streight post=4858 wrote: the regular routine: 1-hour on/hot; quick 1-second pre-basket loading flush; 3-5 second pre-infusion...all regular and consistent for me.

I only do the very brief (less than a second) flush after pulling a shot, never before one. Pre-infusion here is 7 seconds and sometimes (with very light roasts) longer. With the very light roasts, the extraction can sometimes take up to a minute even, all is permitted as long as the result makes me swoon.

Do you keep the beans in the freezer? You wrote "ala freezer" and I'm not sure what that means. My guess is they do not improve much if kept there. I like to taste the development of the beans through the week, or preferably weeks, that I have them. Some mature in an amazing way. I'm not sure yet but it seems the very light roasts take longer to get at their best.

I currently have a row of ten bags, the front one the 'oldest' of a week ago, the one in the back roasted yesterday so I can move through the rows, comparing rest times and roast depths (some roast a little darker Tonino #90-95, some lighter of #100-108). I roasted a first batch of Panama Geisha yesterday, cannot wait to taste that in a week.

I assume 'god shot' moments in part depend on elements coming together that are hard to replicate, mood, curiosity, surprise.