This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Londinium L1 build quality!

HB Wrote: Consider that a Ponte Vecchio Lusso retails for $1199; I like the Lusso a lot, but let's be serious... it's "working class" workmanship versus Olympia Express "world class" workmanship.

Londinium Wrote: Londinium I will meet or exceed (in some areas) the build quality of the Olympia Cremina whilst achieving the taste definition of the Bosco

Dear All,
As I only can own one machine, May I know what class belongs to Londinium L1? in terms of build quality and materials quality? Many people say Olympia Cremina build like a Tank, The materials they used in their machines are Top in quality and world class workmanship, So I would like what you say yours? Can L1 win over Olympia Cremina?

Thank you

Comments

Very keen for L1 owners who have or had a Cremina to post - speak your mind - I'm pretty comfortable with our build quality now

I've got nothing against Olympia, the construction of the boiler is very nice, but I think we have the edge in other areas

For example, our boilers are copper, which I consider has metallic properties that are far better suited for the demands a boiler places on it than stainless steel

Our panels are pop on, just the same as you get on a full sized commercial machine

Our panels are stainless steel

Our chassis is made from zintec rather than just powder coat directly onto mild steel, which is more vulnerable to rusting

The Olympia reigns supreme if space limitations prevent you from having anything larger, no question

But let's not lose the big picture, the L1 is a compact commercial machine, a Cremina is not

The L1 is easier to use than a pump machine, let alone a manual lever - my friend installed one in his office in Perth and has been able to show his staff who have never used any espresso machine before how to make their own coffee. My own mother finds it easy to use after just one brief demonstration. These are absolute facts, not puffery or mere hyperbole

The L1 has a hot water tap

The L1 has a fully articulated steam wand

The L1 is thermally stable to such an extent I find it quite incredible

But enough from me, I'll let others have a word
  • Londinium, Londinium...

So good, they named it twice.... :)

One of the questions that perhaps should be addressed is maintenance and repairs, both are inevitable, and a man and a spanner can carry out this work in a very straightforward manner. Along with this forum which contains the collective (er) wisdom of many Londinium owners and the owner and designer of the machine.

I don't know about Olympia, but I would be surprised if the aftersales care was as good!
  • Oops sorry, it seemed to hang, so I pushed the button a second time

The Cremina is an even simpler machine in terms of number of parts than an L1

It is most certainly possible to pull exceptional shots on a Cremina

You will do so with exponentially more consistency on an L1, that's the difference

Why? Partly the cubic inches argument that Americans will tell you - there's no replacement for displacement (the group on the L1 has over 7Kg of brass in it - it is unrealistic to think a small group can compete if asked to pull consecutive shots. Secondly it is the architecture - a dipper gives you the ultimate in simplicity, but you can't avoid thermal accumulation if back to back shots are needed. The L1 has a thermosiphon which allows you to pull consecutive shots at almost identical temperature profiles

Kind regards

Reiss
  • The build quality is just fine with the L-I, but it is all the other positive things the L-I gives over the Cremina that make it stand out.

Spring Lever. Same pressure shot to shot.
    Water Tap.
    Temperature Stability.
    Large Drip Tray.
    Ability to plumb it in. ++++++++
    You can actually stack things on top of it.
  • i forgot to mention that while the cremina is a very fine domestic lever machine, the lever does not have roller bearings and the steam wand tap is clearly designed for domestic use - examine a cremina group after it has had a few years of daily use and observer the wear on the pin and track for yourself

there is nothing wrong with the design of the cremina as it is a domestic machine, but you need to appreciate that the L1 gives you the best commercial lever group in the world and steam and water wands that have been designed to withstand the repeated punishment that a commercial environment deals out to an espresso machine

this point of difference may be of no consequence to you, but it is a difference none the less

in other words, we give you a lot more for a lot less

LONDINIUM lever espresso machines offer a taste in the cup that is on a par with the very best offerings from La Marzocco, Slayer, Synesso, KVDW et al. They are easy to maintain yourself if you are competent in such matters, they are reliable, and we can get the very few parts that are service items to you quickly wherever you are in the world at all times of the year. This is the LONDINIUM difference.
  • the L1 is a compact commercial machine, designed to cope with the rigours of commercial use with low volumes

i.e. we have a number of L1s in roasteries as they give the roaster exceptional insight into how accurate their roasting efforts have been compared with the previous roast

L1s are also replacing two group machines in restaurants where they often serve less than 30 coffees in an evening and the two group machine is consuming too much electricity and two much counter space

L1s are also invaluable in pop-up projects, exhibitions, and of course in the home

All 240V L1s are now shipped ready to be plumbed in & out - an enhanced plumbing kit will be available from September to support this (the enhanced kit includes a plumb out drip tray, drain hoses, clips, fittings, and taller 40mm feet to accommodate the drain hose)