This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

What's your process?

Well I am pleased and as proud as punch to report that I am now the proud owner of a londinium L1 Luxe with the V2 modifications. It's a beautiful machine and a joy to use.

I was wondering however what everyone's process is for pulling shots. I appreciate this will vary from bean to bean so I'm really asking what your base process is.

For example what dose do you use, how long do you pre infuse for and how in how many seconds are you looking to pull how many g in the cup?

Whilst we are at it, from what point are you timing the shot. From the moment of pulling handly down to pre infuse or from the moment you raise the handle to it's biting point or from the moment the first drops appear?

Comments

• Welcome Cameron, there are so many variables in using the machine. What I would suggest is that you follow the general rules of what Reiss, and others have tried, and see what works best for you. Like are you pulling shots for milk drinks? Striaght shots?

The environment in which your machine sits, the part of the world in which you reside, the type of beans you use and the age of said bean and the grinder will all make a difference, so just start playing and have fun:-)
  • Thanks Stephen

Well I mainly drink straight espresso

I'm in London so subject to typical uk weather but the machine itself is in a pretty neutral environment in a converted under stairs cupboard in the kitchen where it isn't subject to cold from outside or heat from cookers or other white goods

I'm not sure what Reiss's general advice is though. Where can I find that?
  • Cameron, I tried to Post this several times and the phone keeps ringing!

Use the "Search" tab at the top right and type in dose. It will bring up a bunch of opinions/techniques.

I personally would start with 15.5g in you OEM double basket.

As to beans, grind, tamp, other baskets, the possibilities are endless.

I just ordered 2 other baskets today ims single and double baskets to try them. I also use VST, EPNW Triple, and a LaMarzocco basket that I had floating around.
  • Reiss normally advocates starting with 16g in the basket and aiming for 27g out in 27s.

But as Stephen has suggested this is merely a starting point and you can tweak to taste from there...
  • Thanks for the replies

When are you timing the 27 seconds from? From the moment the lever/spring reached it's biting point or when the first drops appear?
  • Start counting when the first drop hits your cup.

That's what I do, but you can try another approach of course as long as you do not change 2-3 details about your method at the same time. For instance if you change the grind, and the dose, and the timing, you will now know what exactly caused the result to be vastly different.
  • Great point Frans, only change one variable at a time :-)
  • Sorry for not replying sooner Cameron

Add 'tamp light' to the list

Kind regards

Reiss