This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Steam on left or right?

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. I'm just organising the funding for an L1 and wanted to get some clues as to whether I should order the steamer on the left rather than the right which I believe is standard.

I'm right handed and the proposed position of the machine is across a corner of our bench and mostly likely with the lever more on my right side than left. To the right of the machine will be my HG-One grinder.

If the steamer is one the right, I'm reaching across the group. As my left hand will be controlling the tap, it will be close to the hot parts of the machine.

Currently I have a Zacconi Riviera Espresso sold under the name of Savinelli Roma. Its a simple machine and It's steamer of on the right and requires that I extend my arms a little more while doing the milk.

Is the right side for steam some sort of convention?

Comments

• hi trevor

thank you for posting your pre-sales question here - its the right way to do it

i our experience it is almost all of our German customers who want the steam on the left - it seems to be the convention for Germany

the rest of the world is ok with it on the right, and the only people who order left hand steam are either those who current machine has the steam wand on the left and they are used to it, or they are placing the machine into a space where it will simply be more convenient to have the steam on the left

i hope this helps

kind regards

reiss.
  • Good question and one I've gone back and forth on. My first machine, a Rancilio Silvia had it on the right, as did a Rancilio Epoca I had for a short time. My other pro-consumer machines, a La Cimbali DT1 Casa and LM GS/3 have it on the left. Seems there is very little convention even amongst the well known Italian brands.
    I tend to hold the jug in the right hand and control the steam flow with the left. Seems to be more intuitive to have it positioned on the left and keeps various appendages from hot components. I still haven't decided.
  • Thanks Reiss and Haydn for your comments. My thinking is on the left but the size of the milking jug probably should also be considered because the right side for a right hander means a larger jug can swing outside and provide greater clearance to control how the steam enters the milk.

Still considering the options without being in front of the machine. Anyone in Sydney with an L1 that I could look at or even talk to? PM me if you like.

Edit: Oops, no PM on the forum. My number is 81993278 but please post here first.
  • Haydn Ball post=3905 wrote:
    I tend to hold the jug in the right hand and control the steam flow with the left. Seems to be more intuitive to have it positioned on the left and keeps various appendages from hot components. I still haven't decided.

if that is true, then surely having the steam wand on the right is the most natural/comfortable position?
  • I guess it all depends how one approaches the toggle lever. I tend to come in from the side with this type of actuation. But I can see the advantage with a larger jug being on the right.
  • If you are holding the jug, not the handle but the jug, so you can feel how hot the pitcher is getting then you might want to hold it off the edge of the machine and not over the drip tray. Just a thought :)
  • Stephen Sweeney post=3912 wrote: If you are holding the jug, not the handle but the jug, so you can feel how hot the pitcher is getting then you might want to hold it off the edge of the machine and not over the drip tray. Just a thought :)
    Just to check my thermometer :)
    Yes, I'm leaning to the right but then again you could do the same thing on the left!
    Thanks for the thought.
  • My former espresso machine...Livia 90...had the steam wand on the left side of the machine. So when I placed the original order for my L1 I thought I had to have the steam wand on the left side; custom order and upcharge too.

Well impatience ruled the day when Reiss told me he had a right hand steam wand unit, the stock configuration, available and ready to ship presumably weeks or longer before a custom left steam arm would be ready to ship. I can honestly say...it doesn't matter to me which side the steam wand is on now having owned and used left and right side steam arm variants :)