This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Calling L1 Owners in California!

Greetings All!

I have enjoyed reading all your posts and watching your carefully executed videos over the last weeks while delving into the lever arena. Thank you for all your contributions of passion and information to the craft.

The fiancee has tasked me with determining which grinder and espresso machine will go on our wedding registry, and in our future home. I have already decided on the HG 1 as the grinder.

Now, as far as the machine goes. I have fallen prey to the L1 vs Strega debate. There are so many takes and positives on both sides that it seems like a blind toss up. Budget is not a factor. I simply want the least trouble down the road and want the best quality I can get. I plan to have the chosen machine for the rest of my life.

I had hopes that seeing either (or both) machines in person would help make it a clearer choice. Therefore, I am appealing to any Californian L1 owners for your advice, and (potentially, hopefully) your invite to view it in action.

In return, I would be happy to exchange my knowledge and/or services if it is of interest. I happen to be a Honemeister and 5-star Yelp rated Straight Razor Restorationist in the Los Angeles area, partner to over nine Art of Shaving outlets. However, I currently live in the Bay Area.

Thank you all for your time and assistance.

Gratefully,

Ben

Comments

• Ben,

I'm in Monterey and you're welcome to come see, use and taste what my LI can deliver.

If interested you can e-mail me here: dstreight at mac dot com

Dan
  • Ben! I am sure Dan will set you on the correct path, plus he is easy to communicate with :-)
  • I moved from a Strega (tank version) to the L1 (plumbed) and never looked back, the L1 has a different taste profile due to softer pre infusion, you can expect more sweetness and more delicate notes in your coffee.

The HG-One is a great grinder, a very good choice.

Good luck.
    Kfir.
  • I'm in L.A. and have an L1 that I'd be glad to walk through if you were down this way. I also went through the mental gymnastics of balancing the same two machines, deciding on the L1 as being more likely to provide the quality of espresso I desired with the least fuss and longest life. Thus far, I believe I made the right decision for my needs. I can always be emailed at gvdub at gvdub dot com if you're around.
  • Thank you all for your kind support, suggestions and generous offers! I am now learning the extent of "tightness" members of this forum feel toward one another.

I look forward to learning more each day.

Cheers!
  • Hey Ben,

I'm in SF. I've just received my L1 yesterday and should have a HG1 mid next week. I don't have anything near dialed at the moment but you're welcome to swing by and take a look. Let me know an email if interested.

Tom
  • Tom,

I would love to be in contact to learn of how your acclimation process goes.

Email me here: Transcribe from telegraph words to letters (hoping to avoid any bots): bravo echo romeo golf echo romeo DOT bravo echo november AT mike echo DOT COM.

Again, thanks very much to all!
  • This really is a no brainer, you are considering a proper lever machine against a pseudo lever machine, leave the Strega well alone, I have had both and wrote a review on the Strega, don't secumb to the shulman bullshit!