This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Production changes for the LI

I searched and didn't see a comprehensive listing of the running production changes for the LI. As often is the case (think Caravel, Cremina, Maximatic, Livietta, etc., etc.,) its arguably easier and better to identify production changes near the time they occur than to rely upon forensic research years later...

So...unless Reiss has a strategic reason not to list these changes I am curious about them.

And are the two LI variants, each containing their own smaller scale production line changes, referred to as "Series 1" and "Series 2"?

I noticed on a recent post from someone posted photos of their presumably recently produced LI the status lamps on the front panel have nice chrome/SS(?) trim ring bezels around the lamps...nice!

Comments

• Great question Dan! A list with dates that the items were enacted would be handy for owners of older machines, and new ones, when it comes time to order parts.

This brings up something that I have mentioned before. An exploded view with Part Numbers would really help too.
  • I guess such a detailed plan is made by factories with very high production numbers. If I try to imagine the amount of hours work that would be needed to create all these diagrams and part numbers, then answer questions from owners who go "Hmm, that would make me have version xyz.34 and I ordered earlier than Barry who got this other version that seems actually newer than mine so this must be terrible!" Or "Okay, I would like the blue internal lights of the first run but with the handy driver box of run three please."

There cannot be any profit in it, unless people would be willing to collect money or produce these diagrams themselves and share them.
  • Dan Streight post=3186 wrote:
    I noticed on a recent post from someone posted photos of their presumably recently produced LI the status lamps on the front panel have nice chrome/SS(?) trim ring bezels around the lamps...nice!

That's been the case since the start of the 'series 2' machine. Check out the photos in the gallery: http://londiniumespresso.com/gallery

Bear in mind that I'm nowhere near privy to all changes to the machine, but as far as I know there've really only been two significant changes to the machine:

1) A change to the frame and panelwork - increased rigidity and improved ease of access with the snap-on panels
    2) A change to the type of steam wand on the machine

I *think* these are the only examples where the parts aren't cross-compatible between the versions.

Of course there have been minor tweaks here and there, but as far as I know, not backwards incompatible ones.
  • Kelsey! Don't forget the cleverly concealed Pressure Gauge that was moved out from behind the Steam Toggle.

The addition of an "ON" lamp.

Then not only the steam wand but the tips went through an evolution.

I am sure there are others that are not so visible.
  • Pretty sure the steam tip changes came with the new wands?

We're more talking about changes that cause confusion with ordering between the machine variants. I'm not counting minor revisions like the lights because you wouldn't order an 'on' lamp for a series 1 machine. The pressure gauge moved, but as far as I know it's the same one or is at least interchangeable.

I guess you could consider the move to wooden handles as those with series 1 machines might want to order that upgrade, but it's still interchangeable.
  • The tips might be considered accessories.

Yes, the gauge is the same, just now it is exposed to be readily viewed. The next change is the dial face on that gauge which will be a real welcome to these old eyes and worth every penny for the purchase! I rotated my gauge 90 degrees counterclockwise so I could see it.

I am real glad that Reiss did not try to make the machine decorative and just let the product speak for itself with great espresso!
  • hi dan!

yes, its a good idea

when we get the L3 out of the shed and things settle down there is no reason why we can't publish a parts diagram

in brief, yes, its series I and series II

the series II has a stronger chassis to 'courier proof' it

pop-on panels give you the same feature that is commonly found on commercial machines for quick & easy access

as sweeney mentioned we added a power on light to keep him happy :)

the signal lights in the series I are neon, those in the series II are LED with lens, so they actually project the light some distance across the room, which i like, but others may not

a bit of jiggling with the position of the water & steam valves & gauges, but none of this affects servicing (unless you were replacing the pipe to one of the valves

the series II has a different drip tray which i think is a retrograde step from the series I drip tray with the lip at the back, but hey ho, customer always right and all that good stuff

a lot of small tweaks, for example brass hex bar was used on plumbing beside the solenoid in the earlier machines, and this has subsequently changed to brass rod

no changes to how the machine makes coffee, despite our good friends on coffee snobs trying to dig themselves out of a hole by claiming the machine must have undergone significant changes since they received theirs. no, they were just not telling the truth

i think its called slander, but its all part of the game. they compromised their integrity in an attempt to discredit us. they'll live with that on their reputation, not me
  • Reiss Gunson post=3198 wrote: hi dan!

yes, its a good idea

when we get the L3 out of the shed and things settle down there is no reason why we can't publish a parts diagram

in brief, yes, its series I and series II

as sweeney mentioned we added a power on light to keep him happy :)

the series II has a different drip tray which i think is a retrograde step from the series I drip tray with the lip at the back, but hey ho, customer always right and all that good stuff

Great Reiss! A diagram would at least give some of us who are not espresso machine technicians by trade a better idea of what you call the parts when referring to leaks or possible, eventual, parts failures.

You changed the lights just for me?!!? :ohmy: I am honored, although I am surprised you just did not source a Lighted ON/OFF Switch. I see from your Blog you are changing switches on the 110v models. If they are the older models without lamps indicators it sure would be a perfect time to put a lighted switch in there!

I really like the drip tray with the lip. There is no way water gets behind it!

Thanks for the good support!

Stephen
  • Thanks Reiss and Kelsey for your replies! Reiss: You stated you moved to LED lamps...so I assume you tucked a down voltage transformer inside the chassis somewhere?

FWIW I like my LI just the way it is...but appreciate recording/noting the differences of production line changes. And I think all buyers will appreciate and value the steps you've taken, representing a constant thought process, how to make the LI even better if nothing more than the non-in-the cup results from said upgrades (lights, panels, chassis, drip tray, etc.).
  • Reiss Gunson post=3198 wrote:
    no changes to how the machine makes coffee, despite our good friends on coffee snobs trying to dig themselves out of a hole by claiming the machine must have undergone significant changes since they received theirs. no, they were just not telling the truth

i think its called slander, but its all part of the game. they compromised their integrity in an attempt to discredit us. they'll live with that on their reputation, not me

I have noticed greatly reduced or eliminated noise and rancor from the detractors on a couple different coffee/barista sites :) They now seem to be using price/value for their drum beat...

Funny.
  • In threads about the Pharos grinder I saw that OrphanEspresso was on the point of quitting, actually announcing the end of the Pharos because of the trouble a small group of people were making. With very few people developing something new, there are very many people who are not developing anything who happen to be THE experts in telling others how it should be done differently, what they would have done, if only they had the time, skill, resources...

One reader remarked that manufacturers and people producing modifications maybe generally should not bother reading all that crap anyway and just go about their business ;-)
  • Dan Streight post=3207 wrote: Thanks Reiss and Kelsey for your replies! Reiss: You stated you moved to LED lamps...so I assume you tucked a down voltage transformer inside the chassis somewhere?

There are 120v LED's, I believe. This might be one of them.
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Lumex/SSI-LXR9126SID110V/?qs=wrqjLIOlH7vLXF9G7e97vQ==&gclid=CIOgmoKo-bwCFcqUfgodrBkARg
  • Stephen...thanks, I didn't realize there were direct 120v LEDs!

Frans: Even inventors and fabricators are human :). I have friends who have fab shops, products, etc. in the off-road 4x4 space. And they've learned, to stay on point and keep to their core business acumen/plan, to mostly stay off the related forums so not to allow the noise to divert their energy and purpose....or sanity!

I think with the advent of these types of forums the temptation to utilize the forums for product design feedback is a real temptation. But IMHO it does not circumvent the need for a structured beta/product testing phase where the product testers are selected and contained.

Sometimes its a huge challenge to be just a listener!
  • I might be the only one...but given my LI is plumbed and sans water tank I'd like to see the on/off switch moved to the rear panel. It cleans up the front panel #1; and #2 makes keeping the front panel shiny and clean just a little easier and aesthetically less cluttered.

It could be mounted to upper side of one edge...and reaching behind even with the LI on a counter with cabinets overhead wouldn't be a task really.

Of course I could move the switch on mine without too much difficulty...but then I'd have a hole in the front panel ;)

Good idea/bad idea?
  • You could put a Power ON indicator LED in the hole created by relocating the switch.
  • Stephen Sweeney post=7318 wrote: You could put a Power ON indicator LED in the hole created by relocating the switch.

If not for already having added the 3rd lamp for power on :)
  • and for the people who have their L1 in a bar style kitchen where the back panel faces the visitors? ;)

its also vulnerable to a dousing as people refill the water tank

quite a few owners also have to push their L1 hard back against the wall behind to fit it on their bench

and finally, how many switches sitting exposed out on a flat panel would survive the love they get from the couriers?
    (in its current location it is well protected)

im guessing one in ten

we have not had a single series two L1 sustain shipping damage (unless you count a couple of busted spring clip retainers for the ball end studs for the panels

that is an incredible record