This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Londiniums in Sydney, Australia?

Hi there,

I'm very interested in a Londinium I. I was wondering if any owners on this forum live in Sydney? If so, I'd really appreciate catching up and having a chat. In return I'm happy to demo my HG one and Quest M3.

Thanks,
Terence

Comments

• if any owners in Sydney could respond i would be most grateful as i am unable to hand out your contact details to prospective customers without your consent.
  • Hey Terence, sorry i'm in brissie, but hows the quest, did you import it yourself?
  • Thanks James,

I did import the Quest myself (no other options really) middle of last year. I've found it to be a great roaster with exactly the right capacity for me. I really only roast for our needs at home and occasionally for friends. I'll generally charge each roast with 190 g and perhaps do 3-4 roasts in a session with a good glass of whisky.

At that charge level the roaster is very responsive to temperature adjustment (or as responsive as one could expect given that it is electric). It's got plenty of power with roasts for the profiles that I use generally taking 11:30 to 12:30. It's easy to clean, easy to take apart and maintain, and it's also very compact (fits in a cupboard adjoining the kitchen).

I have almost made the decision a couple of times to purchase a gas powered Taiwanese or Chinese roaster but at 3-4 times the cost and me really not needing the extra capacity, I've ended up balking.

Anyway, long story short, if I had to make the decision over again from scratch knowing what I know now, I'd not hesitate in buying the Quest again. It's such a wonderful hobby learning roasting on a manual machine.

Terence
  • 240v Quest isn't it? Mine is a 120v and it works OK but it does take some planning to adjust the roast temps. As you point out, it is an electric roaster and does not change quickly :-)

I had the opportunity to get a Diedrich HR-1 electric roaster but the fellow wanted a bunch of money for it and I could not see it. I took the $$ from the sale of the GS/3 and bought an L-I and a Quest and a HG-One. Good trade I think :-)
  • Yes 240V... electric will, of course, never have the instantaneous temperature control of gas... but I honestly don't find it too bad especially after having painted the outside of the drum with a flat black high temp paint (which makes the whole system much more heat conductive).

From all accounts the HR-1 is a very serious piece of machinery, pity Diedrich don't make it any more.
  • Yeah, it was nice and Diedrich is apparently not interested in electric roasters anymore.

I too painted the drum and I think it increased the rate of rise, if I want to do that, and I can't help but think it helps in cooling as well.