This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Comments

• Excellent, can't wait! Thanks for making the video.
    Out of curiosity, can you adjust pressure during pre-infusion?
    Thanks
    Christos
  • yes the adjustment is pretty immediate, so if you keep the lever down, and you wish to increase pressure, that would work as long as the puck is not letting the pressure out immediately. But lowering pressure would take time to first let water/pressure escape into your espresso cup.
  • Wow this is awesome!
  • Frans Goddijn post=16188 wrote: yes the adjustment is pretty immediate, so if you keep the lever down, and you wish to increase pressure, that would work as long as the puck is not letting the pressure out immediately. But lowering pressure would take time to first let water/pressure escape into your espresso cup.

Fantastic! Thank you Frans. Makes the LR just that extra bit more versatile!
  • Good Job Frans! Looking forward to my installation following your video :) :) :) :)
  • panel clanging is coming to an end :woohoo:
  • One fun aspect of the system is that I can log in and monitor the machine remotely, far away from its location. So if someone who is not very machine savvy tells me the espresso is a bit on the 'sour' side, I can remotely increase the pre-infusion/extraction pressure/temp and boom, problem solved ;-)
  • That's pretty cool Frans!

I just realized the module isn't connecting directly to the phone, but uses an online IoT platform. Which makes me wonder if there will be a way to make direct connection that doesn't require the Internet to be working, and doesn't require constant maintenance of the IoT platform. These platforms come and go sometimes.
  • thats why we used Blynk.
  • Hi Frans,

What was your dose? What factored into your decision to pull the cup when you did?

Out of curiosity, have you discovered a consistent relationship between ideal preinfusion pressure and Tonino number?
  • Hi Lee,

Dose was about 18g.

I pulled the cup at 30g which I usually do (mostly on sight but this time I wanted to use the scale/timer)

For the Tonino number, when one wants to be able to exactly compare with fellow roasters, one needs to be calibrated to each other's grind setting when preparing the test grinds. Having said that, of course T#110 always points at a fairly light roast, T#120-130 to filter roast, T#60-70 to very dark roasts that i would never drink etc.

I mostly roast to my Tonino #95, plus or minus 4 and then extract starting with 3-3.5 bar preinfusion.

On the light roast Ethiopians, I found 4.5 bar on a more coarse grind also worked very well but my girl friend prefers the 5-6 bar preinfusion and the grind as used in the video. At lower PI pressure, the very special and in my view fascinating taste of these honey processed Ethiopians are highlighted but i understand why for some, a little of that 'wildness' is already sufficient in the cup to start the day ;-)
  • Frans,

Thanks for your response. I was curious because I have also been pulling a lightly roasted Ethiopian at the same dose and found it tasted better at 5 bar preinfusion. The roaster recommended 18g dose / 30 g yield, but I found I preferred a 36g yield.

The Tonino seems like an objective way to determine roast level, and thereby expedite and/or simplify dialing in a roast. Didn't realize that little bugger runs $600 USD, though!
  • the primary driver for this approach is the correct pre-infusion pressure for any given roast in our machines varies as the coffee ages: it is not a constant that you can set and forget

for this reason we have made the investment to make it quick and easy to change the pre-infusion pressure instantly if the next shot you pull is not exactly to your liking

the architecture of our machines is such that you do not have to wait for the group temperature to respond to a change in the heat in the system before the change takes effect

you want to reduce the pre-infusion pressure as the coffee ages, which also reduces the brew temperature and the shot volume

typically you will be reducing the pressure in increments of 0.2 bar to compensate for the ageing of the coffee.
  • as a rule of thumb i like to pull the cup when the lever arm reaches vertical; this willl almost entirely avoid the blond tail going into your cup if you have the correct pre-infusion set for the roast/dose/grind combination
  • with an organic product like coffee you are chasing a moving target

the londinium architecture now allows you to almost instantly shift the settings of the machine to track the ageing of your roast in a way that is intuitive and utilises a single parameter only (pre-infusion pressure) to control the other parameters (brew temperature, brew volume) whilst maintaining the equilibrium of the system (i.e. maintain thermal stability)
  • the other advantage of an almost instant response from the system to any change you make to the pre-infusion pressure is that if you dont get it quite right on the first attempt it doesnt matter, you just tweak it a bit more, or less and the system responds almost instantly again

sitting there for half an hour waiting for the group to change temperature gets old fast. that does not happen with the londinium architecture.
  • Reiss,

Thanks for your insight. It did not occur to me to reduce the preinfusion pressure as the coffee ages (I would've guessed to increase as it ages). Thanks for the pull-when-vertical rule of thumb. I'll keep an eye on my pulls and see if I'm close to that mark.
  • hi lee

yes, that has been one of the lessons i have learnt since we developed the digital pre-infusion

that made it even more important to develop the wireless module as pulling off the side panel regularly is a pain

some customers have requested the ability to pre-infuse to pressure 'X' then for the pump not to come on again and an ultra long pre-infusion duration of up to 5 minutes

i am pleased to tell you that the wireless module supports this style

all you need to do is select the longest pump interval (2s) then select the pre infusion pressure you desire, then as soon as the pump turns off after you pull the lever down (indicating that the target pi has been achieved) you slide the target pi to zero, which ensures that the pump does not turn back on

kind regards

reiss.
  • I can’t wait to order mine
    Reiss do you have an ETA?
    Thanks
    Dominique
  • hi dominique

i think in a month from now we will either be sending them out, or very close to sending them out

we haven't got any issues holding us back as i write this

kind regards

reiss.
  • Lee Ramseur post=16214 wrote: Reiss,

Thanks for your insight. It did not occur to me to reduce the preinfusion pressure as the coffee ages (I would've guessed to increase as it ages). Thanks for the pull-when-vertical rule of thumb. I'll keep an eye on my pulls and see if I'm close to that mark.

to put it in context lee, i would more than halve the pre-infusion pressure from the first shot i pull on a fresh 1Kg (2.2lb) bag until the last shot, which probably spans about two weeks

as the coffee ages the 'burnt' notes will keep coming to the fore as the acidity and all other contributors to the taste of the coffee wane

with the simplicity of the LR you can now counter this quickly and easily by reducing the pre-infusion pressure by 0.2 bar every couple of days as you sense the burnt notes starting to overwhelm the flavour profile of the coffee

reiss
  • This is great information. Thank you Reiss!
  • On a LONDINIUM-R with digital pre-infusion module and wireless dongle & app you have the option to pre-infuse at a pressure of your choice (for instance 6 bar) and then immediately slide to 0 bar, in effect stopping the pump. This makes the pre-infusion last longer if you wish (for instance when playing with very light roasts). Then raise the lever as soon as the first droplet falls into the cup:

• So awesome, can't wait to order one. Standing by with credit card in hand, Reiss :)
  • for the avoidance of doubt the dongle will be free of charge as i have committed to this since we first released the digital preinfusion module

you will however need to pay for the delivery as the unit cost has come in cost a lot higher than budgeted

kind regards

reiss.
  • Does this mean that the cost of the digital pre-infusion module might increase when the wireless dongle is finished and included with the module? I've been holding back on ordering the digital pre-infusion module until it came with the dongle included, to avoid the double shipping cost...
  • hi troels

i think that is a reasonable assumption, yes

kind regards

reiss.
  • Reiss Gunson post=16243 wrote: for the avoidance of doubt the dongle will be free of charge as i have committed to this since we first released the digital preinfusion module

you will however need to pay for the delivery as the unit cost has come in cost a lot higher than budgeted

kind regards

reiss.

A while back you mentioned that we will not have to pay for delivery for the wireless module as long as we purchased other items through the store at the same time. Is that still the case?
  • Yesterday I was fortunate enough to receive a pre-production WiFi dongle for the LR Wireless Pressure Module!

Ignoring the fact that it is housed in a PROTOTYPE 3D printed enclosure, here are my initial comments:

Frans' installation video, at the head of this thread, is clear and easy to follow.
    Essentially, with machine switched off, plug the dongle into the socket at the bottom of the Pressure Module.
    Then switch machine back on.
    Download the free Blynk App.
    Sign in, using your device camera and the QR code supplied with the dongle. Don't blink or you will miss it!

That's pretty much all there is to it. If the whole process takes you much more than 10 minutes then, I imagine it will be down to the time that it can take to remove / re-fit the top and side panels.

The App interface is no-frills, simple.

At the top it displays the recorded pressure. While the machine is pre-infusing, it closely reflects the pre-infusion pressure it is maintaining. (While the machine is idling, you will see higher and variable values that don't directly relate to your PI setting. )
    In the middle is the slider with which you set / adjust your desired PI pressure.
    Below the slider it shows the current setting for pump time interval. This can be adjusted, if and when you really need to, by using the +- buttons.

Once you have set your desired PI pressure, there is no need to monitor any of the above while pulling a shot. Unless of course, you are either interested or otherwise, bored.

As far as making coffee goes, there is no doubt that changes in PI pressure influence both temperature and shot volume. The importance / use of this control variable will vary, according to the individual concerned. The likes of myself will no doubt make occasional, strategic, adjustments, before drowning the shot in milk. The mad, coffee-scientists amongst us will however, spend many a happy hour tweaking PI pressure to their hearts content.

Either way, the dongle / App now provides a truly faff-free, impressively responsive, means of varying the LR's PI pressure.