This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

A Blended Coffee out of the USA

let me know of a speciality coffee roast that you like and i will buy a kilo and feature it here

that way you will have the settings i used for a particular coffee to refer to

reiss.

Comments

• Trevor Watters post=15467 wrote: Currently my favourite!
    Bay Coffee - Guatemala Ceylan Organic

thank you trevor. i will order this and report back. kind regards, reiss.
  • Thanks Reiss. Great idea.

I can't wait to see yours results and recipes.
    When they will be arriving let me know, I want to be sure I have them at my desk, so I will be trying your recipes.
  • Thanks Reiss. my recipe is 18.2gm producing 27gm in about 27sec. using 3.5 pre-infusion.

Just gave my Laundry Renovators a cup each reducing their sugar requires from 2 -> 1 and 1 to none respectively. Both made very good comments.

Looking forward to any suggestions
  • Reiss Gunson post=15468 wrote: [quote=Paweł Walczak post=15466]Here you go:
    https://sklep.javacoffee.pl/en/products/471-guatemala-san-marcos-huista.html#/select_type-medium_roast_espresso_whole_beans

https://shop.gardellicoffee.com/coffees/58-67-cignobianco-signature-blend#/32-size-1000gr

https://shop.gardellicoffee.com/coffees/222-mzungu-project-uganda

https://www.timwendelboe.no/coffee/caballero-espresso

thank you Pawel, i will order all of these and report back. reiss.

so the update Pawel is that i have sat down here now to order all of the coffees you detail above, but after an hour of struggling i was only able to order the tim wendleboe coffee as their website was the only one that worked correctly for orders to new zealand

i have paid for it to come on FEDEX so it should arrive before next weekend i think

kind regards

reiss.
  • Reiss Gunson post=15469 wrote: [quote=Trevor Watters post=15467]Currently my favourite!
    Bay Coffee - Guatemala Ceylan Organic

thank you trevor. i will order this and report back. kind regards, reiss.

hi trevor
    just jumped on to order the coffee you suggest and they only deliver within australia
    i tried!
    reiss.
  • Hi Reiss,

I just checked on Java, and in fact, they ship only to UK, sorry.

Gardelli is shipping to New Zeland however, so if you want to taste those coffees (and its worth trying, he is one of the best coffee roasters in Europe) send me PM with your shipping address, I will try to make the order on your behalf.

Pawel
  • Hi Reiss,

Thanks for your efforts. I have 3kgs being delivered tomorrow and I wondered if you would be happy to receive a kg.

Cheers

Trevor
  • thank you trevor, that is pretty decent of you. drop me an email or PM me and i will reimburse you. kind regards, reiss.
  • Paweł Walczak post=15483 wrote: Hi Reiss,

I just checked on Java, and in fact, they ship only to UK, sorry.

Gardelli is shipping to New Zeland however, so if you want to taste those coffees (and its worth trying, he is one of the best coffee roasters in Europe) send me PM with your shipping address, I will try to make the order on your behalf.

Pawel

hi pawel
    yes, that is true. the trouble is at the time of writing the field in the checkout containing country codes for telephone numbers does not contain New Zealand (+64) or Australia (+61) and does not appear to have any obvious order to the listing; it is clearly not alphabetical or dialling code numeric
    i am playing email tennis with them as i am very eager to try their work - if you have connections it would be great if you could mention the issue to them too
    kind regards
    reiss.
  • Reiss,

Please try using the Pitcairn Island from the drop-down list. It has +64 as prefix (as New Zealand)
    If you need +61 (Australia) please use Christmas Island.

Do not ask me why they put it like this :) It is probably because the drop down only supports one numerical code per list, and by mistake they took the secondary countries that are sharing the codes with Australia and New Zealand.
  • ha! that's priceless Pawel

you're quite right - my telephone number is now assigned to the Pitcairn Islands and as a result i have been able to place my order

superb. im very grateful for your attention to detail

kind regards

reiss
  • Paweł Walczak post=15466 wrote: Here you go:
    https://sklep.javacoffee.pl/en/products/471-guatemala-san-marcos-huista.html#/select_type-medium_roast_espresso_whole_beans

https://shop.gardellicoffee.com/coffees/58-67-cignobianco-signature-blend#/32-size-1000gr

https://shop.gardellicoffee.com/coffees/222-mzungu-project-uganda

https://www.timwendelboe.no/coffee/caballero-espresso

I've run Gardelli single origins on my original L1 with no issues if that helps at all? Tend to go with 1:2 ratio, it's what I like. The first time the website refused to believe my address existed but I emailed them and they sorted it right away, nice bunch of people.

hey Pawel

a big thank you for flagging up Gardelli, very impressed, exceptional coffee well roasted no doubt about it

I've only pulled a few shot so far and what i have learnt with turning these light roasts into espresso is i seem to get a better result if i run a higher pre-infusion pressure and a high flow rate (a high pre infusion pressure and a tight grind to hold the flow rate back to a convention 1g/s strangles these kind of roasts in my experience and you distort the clean distinctive notes in the coffee into something a bit funky and tortured). Equally a low pre-infusion pressure and a very long pre-infusion muddies the delicate taste notes in my view and they tend to bleed into a single 'average' taste which kind of defeats the purposes of buying very expensive coffee in my view

my settings:
    IMS 18-20g londinium basket
    pre heat the cup with hot water for 30s
    4.0 bar pre infusion
    20g dose
    40g brew weight
    a very fine grind yet first drip falling in 3-5 seconds due to the relatively high pre-infusion pressure
    a flow rate of 2g/s, i.e 40g of coffee flows into the cup in 20s

kind regards

reiss.

and this morning Wendelboe arrived
  • Hi Reiss,

I am glad you like the beans. I see you started with Mzungu, you set expectations high :)

I read you last post, I fully agree it's amazing how we can experience goods from all over the world. We are lucky people.

Also big thanks to you, as the direct sales model of Londinium is great, how many other machine's designers are asking people what coffee they drink, and then share their recipes with the community? Amazing!

Big thank you!

Enjoy the coffee.

PS.

Not sure if you drink pour over coffee from time to time. If you have any Hario, Kalita, Chemex - I recommend you try the Mzungu also as brewed coffee. Different experience than espresso, but still amazing taste.

PS2.

When you will be ready for next round of coffee roasted in Europe - please try La Cabra (https://www.lacabra.dk/). Here, they change the coffee often, so I cannot recommend any particular coffee, but I never had bad coffee from them. They roast light (uni-roast), but with LR and Max/EK43 you have everything to make delicious espresso from those beans.

Ps3

yours/my settings:
    IMS 18-20g londinium basket / VST 18 g basket
    pre heat the cup with hot water for 30s / I usually skip the preheat as I avoid very hot drinks in general
    4.0 bar pre infusion / I still have the Mater, so 3-3,5 bars
    20g dose / 17.5 dose
    40g brew weight / the same
    a very fine grind yet first drip falling in 3-5 seconds due to the relatively high pre-infusion pressure / bit longer probably 5-7 seconds
    a flow rate of 2g/s, i.e 40g of coffee flows into the cup in 20s / 20-25 seconds
  • Mzungu was very interesting in LR, though beans were IMO roasted on darker side, yet without bitterness.

For Tim W. I see you have espresso roast, I used filter roast very light but evenly roasted. Recommended for sure.
    La Cabra for sure to be tested, very staple light roast.

I usually go 2:1 and something slightly faster than 1g/s, need to check fast flow 2g/s. Still grinding on Pharos though (try grinding TIm W. ;) ) but would love to test Max/ EK43 grinder...
  • i own my tonino just for moments like this:

its the lightest roast (highest tonino value) i have ever measured!

when you've got a kafatek max at setting 2 or less and 4 bar preinfusion on the LR and the extraction is still running at 2g/s (fast) it is well within the definition of a light roast

to my taste it is a fabulous coffee. yes it has high acidity but with the extremely high inlet temperatures that you can configure our londinium machines to deliver this is easily tamed. tightening the grind too far is a mistake as the highly complexed flavours in this coffee are easily distorted into something unpleasant if you force the extraction to run at a more conventional 1g/s. for these ultra light roast speciality coffees extract them hot and fast is the rule i work to.

the next coffee i tried was the Caballero from Tim Wendelboe

bear in mind that i do not like honduran coffee, regardless of the roaster, but it was immediately apparent that this was a very high quality coffee and it has been roasted with care and expertise

if you like honduran coffee this is a great example

i settled on 6.0 bar pre-infusion to reign in the acidity with a 20g dose, and about 7 seconds before the first drip fell

i would generally run it long, i.e. 40g brew weight or greater at a flow rate of about 1g/s, or just slightly faster (never slower)

lots of different tastes in the cup to make it interesting

i am now onto the Gardelli Signature Espresso blend which i am still dialling in

already i have coarsened the grind and reduced the pi to 4.0 bar and it is likely that i will move further in this direction

it is clear that this is going to be a superb coffee when i get it dialled in

reiss.

this is the first shot of the Gardelli Cignobianco, at 4.0 bar pi, 20g dose, 33g brew weight, 7s pi duration

its slightly too hot so the next one will be at 3.0 bar pi
  • I settled upon a 2.2 bar preinfusion, 20g dose, about 10s pre-infusion duration and a 25-30g brew weight.

if it is helpful to anyone, the grinder setting ended up here:

Attached files

image image
  • and now i am onto the coffee that Trevor Watters kindly sent me from Sydney, Australia:

i am starting with the 2.2 bar of pre-infusion that i was using for the previous roast, which i suspect i will need to lift to 2.5-3.0 bar

i am also having to tighten the grind as the first drip is arriving in less than 5 seconds presently

Attached files

• with this coffee i have now evolved to 3.8 bar pre-infusion (4.0 bar deadens the acidity slightly too much), which produces the first drip about 3 seconds after the lever is pulled down, and i have 34g of coffee flowing into the cup in 25s, a flow rate of 1.36g/s

i am still using a dose of 20g

with all the LONDINIUM machines it is a very simple matter to control the acidity very precisely and easily by simply raising the pre-infusion pressure

with a LONDINIUM machine your costs of ownership will be exponentially lower, and your downtime minuscule, and you will never 'get lost' in a myriad of controls, yet you have all the control you need to optimise the extraction of any roast, be it very dark or very light

reiss.
  • Thanks Reiss!

I will try your specs. My grinder is only an E5 so if there's a difference, it comes down to the grinder. The 20gm is a bigger dose so i'll grinder a little courser to promote the quick flow.

Next Day:

I have tried the specs and its great!! What I have learnt here is that minor machine changes can make significant coffee changes. It means that changing beans takes time to experiment and precludes the constant single dose swaps from one bean to another unless you have experimented and dial in the best settings for each.

This thread has been a great help and really illustrates the power of the LR for home coffee. Well done Reiss!

Cheers

Trevor
  • thats why the biggest favour anyone can do for themselves is to buy at least 500g of any coffee they buy; the permutations are vast if you hope to find the optimum

nothing more frustrating than discovering the optimum just as the coffee runs out - the first 500g to optimise, the second 500g to enjoy

there is a reason why coffee in great cafes tastes great and it's almost entirely due to the barista running the same coffee all day everyday, and i believe it is the number one reason why home baristas struggle: hopping from one bean to another, one shot of this, one of that; its almost guaranteeing a sub optimal result in the cup

buy 500g - 1000g of a bean and work it and work it and work it, until you know you are getting the very best out of it

that's my top tip.

• a brief update on this coffee. as with most light roasts, the acidity eases away as the roast ages, although it is quite pronounced with this particular roast. i have had to drop the PI back to 2.5 bar and i am running a high flow rate of 3g/s, producing 60g brew weight in just 20s. this progressive reduction in the PI pressure these last few days dramatically reduces the brew temperature, ensuring the acidity is allowed to show in the cup and no burnt notes present themselves. the high flow rate keeps the taste clean, ensuring no astringency results. fortunately with this coffee there is a lot of body, so the high flow rate does not result in a thin, mean beverage, but still has plenty of body

kind regards

reiss.

Attached files

• does anyone know of a speciality coffee roaster that is currently offering an exceptional bolivian coffee?

a good bolivian coffee is probably my favourite origin of all but the quality does vary, a lot

reiss.