This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

New to Lighter Roasts

I ordered the LR to venture into lighter roasts, so I would like to hear your recommendations and experiences on how to pull these coffees (I am getting a sampler from Olympia Coffee Co. in US).

Besides the stock basket I will have the IMS 18-20g basket #B702TFH26, and I plan to grind finer and dose higher, like 22g in the IMS for a start. What target times have worked well as far as pre-infusion and then the pull?

Comments

• hi matthew

the IMS basket will cope with 22g, but you may find 20g or even 18g easier to get started with

i would suggest that for a light nordic style single origin roast you might expect to wait about 12s before the first drip falls in the cup during pre-infusion

once the first drip falls in the cup simply release the lever and the machine takes care of the rest, other than in time you may choose to pull the cup away from under the stream of coffee before it stops flowing

the key thing is to use the distribution tool and funnel so you achieve sweating across the entire face of the basket during pre-infusion, then having these beads of coffee all pull together and drop from the centre of the basket as a single drop, and eventually these drips fall more frequently to form a central stream from the centre of the basket; that is the key to a good extraction

kind regards

reiss.
  • Thanks, that’s helpful. For these lighter coffees, are we generally still looking for an average 1 gram per sec after pre-infusion, or is it more time? I want to adjust the grind to get in the ballpark of what’s getting the most out of these beans. Thanks.
  • Matthew Brown post=14819 wrote: Thanks, that’s helpful. For these lighter coffees, are we generally still looking for an average 1 gram per sec after pre-infusion, or is it more time? I want to adjust the grind to get in the ballpark of what’s getting the most out of these beans. Thanks.

Hello Matthew,

I also have an LR and am in the U.S.
    I have had many coffees from Olympia Coffee but none were nordic light roast. Many of their coffees are roasted with their "carmelization process" and lean more towards a medium roast. Some of their SO are lighter but not all. Feel free to PM me.

Regards,
    Roger
  • Hi Roger,

Thanks for the heads up about the roast level; I'll PM for specifics on the beans.