This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Power Draw Changing Grinder Speed

Here’s something I never thought about before:

I live in the US in an old house with sufficient but not fully modern wiring and electric power supply. Usually everything works fine and I don’t blow circuit breakers. Big power draws are my old 220V air conditioner, my L1, and my brand-new 450W Compak E5.

The E5 is set for 9.2 seconds which usually gives me about 17g of ground coffee. (US residents please note that grind times are longer due to 120V instead of 220V used by Reiss during his tests.) Last night, making coffee for a houseful of guests the same grind time gave me lots of different weights, some as low as about 12g. It occurred to me that maybe I hit the grind button at the same moment the chiller and the L1 boiler were on, all conspiring to slow the grinder (although the sound didn’t change noticeably.)

So for the first time ever I’m thinking about an uninterruptible power supply. Yes, for my grinder. I’m a Londinium owner and we do stuff like that, don’t we, Frans. Does anyone think this is a reasonable thing to do? Any suggestions/ guidance?

Thanks.

Comments

• hi laurence

are you sure you weren't grinding with very few beans in the hopper, allowing pop corning to occur?

im doubtful about your voltage drop, unless you've measured it - you can buy a plug in meter that will allow you to monitor the voltage as you use the grinder - this would provide you with some hard data

kind regards

reiss.
  • The beans were low but not that low. Maybe the bottom 1/5 of the hopper.

Maybe when the beans get low I’ll put a little saucer on them to weight them down.

I’ve got a new pound of beans in there so I’ll see if there’s a consistent yield until things get low again.

Thanks Reiss.
  • Did you have any unusual temperature fluctuations going on? Like lots of people generating heat then opening the windows or turning the AC on higher. I find my grind times fluctuate with temperature changes and humidity quite significantly.

Also have you tried running the same volume of beans through the grinder in roughly the same time without a houseful of guests just to see if it is as consistent as you expect? I'm assuming the cost of a few bags of beans is insignificant compared to getting all that rewiring done (depending on what you are drinking of course!) It might be due to the grinder itself heating up or something getting stuck inside the exit chute.