This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

VST vs stock Londinium baskets

I've had my L-R for about 2 months now, and I'm considering upgrading to the VST 18g basket. Has anyone compared the stock basket to VST? Is there a noticeable taste/clarity difference in the cup? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• hi michael
    you would buy the 18g VST simply on the grounds that it is a larger basket than the basket we supply with the machine
    you would also buy it because it is a basket that many people have, so if you are having issues it is good to have a standard basket if you want to compare notes with someone else
    our IMS baskets & screens are on order, expected end of the month
    best
    reiss.
  • I've got one of the VST baskets but keep finding myself switching back to the standard tapered basket that came with my machine.

I'll go through phases where I can get good shots from the VST basket but (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) the tapering of the standard basket is much more forgiving for poor prep and I very rarely suffer from channeling / spritzing with it so personally find it much more consistent.
  • hi jack
    the taper does make the basket more forgiving, you're quite correct
    kind regards
    reiss.
  • The way I see it, VST baskets perform a useful service by revealing any faults in puck preparation (which could be due to distribution, grinder, tamping ...). Getting that right will improve richness and sweetness of your shots. At least, that has been my experience.

Matt

Jack Blackmore post=14450 wrote: I've got one of the VST baskets but keep finding myself switching back to the standard tapered basket that came with my machine.

I'll go through phases where I can get good shots from the VST basket but (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) the tapering of the standard basket is much more forgiving for poor prep and I very rarely suffer from channeling / spritzing with it so personally find it much more consistent.
  • at £25 a throw i expect them to mow the lawns too im afraid. its bonkers and we're not doing it anymore. IMS at the end of the month.
  • Reiss Gunson post=14462 wrote: IMS at the end of the month.

I got one! Good looking, easy, lovely extractions. With a light roast the basket can pack 20-22g but with my own medium roast, 18-18.5g is excellent already.

• a key benefit with this basket is that unlike the 22g VST the crema will not bridge the gap from the basket to the portafilter and then run along the bottom of the handle and drip onto your kitchen floor.

dose big without a big mess.
  • Basket seems nice with londinium logo.
    However if I intend to stay with 18g dose, than I guess 18-VST is still top performer.
    Long time ago, I used IMS baskets with ridge and they were easier to use than VST, but needed coarser grind (or lower dosage, even though the same height).

Have anybody done comparison of VST and IMS given similar dose and can give the differences in taste (also what kind of roast)?

P.S. What about custom shower screens? Were they delayed?
  • Lukasz Dziekan post=14660 wrote: Have anybody done comparison of VST and IMS given similar dose and can give the differences in taste (also what kind of roast)?

When I switched from my VST18g to the Londinium IMS basket, I did not change grind setting on my E8. I first assumed I'd need a higher dose but 18g works just fine.

Roast color Tonino 91, so I'd call that a medium roast. A well developed but not at all dark roast, from a specialty microlot, quite delicious.

• Difference in taste is the final point, but to avoid the subjectivity of one person’s taste versus another, comparisons might also be made of measured extraction yields. If I’m not mistaken, VST baskets were developed with consistent, high EY in mind.

Matt
  • Frans Goddijn post=14661 wrote:
    When I switched from my VST18g to the Londinium IMS basket, I did not change grind setting on my E8. I first assumed I'd need a higher dose but 18g works just fine.

Roast color Tonino 91, so I'd call that a medium roast. A well developed but not at all dark roast, from a specialty microlot, quite delicious.
    Frans, very detailed answer.
    FEW question though, did you find any difference in cup comparing with VST? Not changING grind I would say is a good sign and I expect similar results taste-wise.
    What kind of ratio are you using?
  • Tije has the same basket now as well:

• Frans Goddijn post=14664 wrote: Tije has the same basket now as well:

That's a nice looking tamper, is that something he made? Any for sale?
  • Roger Bachman post=14667 wrote: [quote=Frans Goddijn post=14664]Tije has the same basket now as well:

That's one I made, not intended for sale, but . . . . it could be done once more .
    Although it's a good looking tamper, its base is made from aluminum, so probably no food grade quality. . . . .
  • Tije de Jong post=14668 wrote: [quote=Roger Bachman post=14667][quote=Frans Goddijn post=14664]Tije has the same basket now as well:

That's one I made, not intended for sale, but . . . . it could be done once more .
    Although it's a good looking tamper, its base is made from aluminum, so probably no food grade quality. . . . .

Thanks for the reply. Yes, stainless steel would be a must. It could get expensive though...