This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Distribution tool path

I've been experimenting with different patterns of moving the grinds with the distribution tool, but I've yet to settle on one. If I swirl it about the edges, I end up with a hole in the centre; but if I swirl closer to the centre, I end up with walls of coffee rising over the edges of the basket on one side or another. On the other hand, if I just trace out random patterns, I get random results. What do others do?

Matt

Comments

• I do a random stir, a brief shake, one tap with the pf on the counter, mild press with the flat tamper, lock in and go.
  • I do the same as Frans and results are so much better than without the tool. I add the ring to the portafilter, grind on demand and stir. Love how the ring prevents most mess. I almost always get a good looking naked shot.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
  • I wrote some more details here:

http://kostverlorenvaart.blogspot.nl/2017/12/puck-preparation.html

will add more to the blog, also improve on the video clip, hopefully later this month
  • Thank you for that fascinating account, Frans. My puck preparation is a little different. I grind into a small flask and weigh the grinds in the flask, having previously tared the flask. I usually aim for 15g in a 15g VST basket, although I lower the dose for dark roasts. My go-to brew ratio is 30g liquid out for milk drinks and 32 for plain espresso. I see you prefer more ristretto ratios.
    I next pour the grounds into the basket, employing an OE dosing ring, through which I WDT. Then, if needed, I level the grounds roughly with the edge of a palette knife, rather than tapping the basket. Finally,I give the surface a quick spin with an OCD distribution tool and drop the prepared basket into a bottomless pf.
    I have a pre-R Londinium 1, and I find that with lighter roasts I have to wait too long for drops, so I just release the lever after 10" pre-infusion. That usually results in the lever catching at 45 degrees and a picture-perfect pour. I aim for a flow rate of roughly 1g per second.

Matt
  • Frans Goddijn post=14217 wrote: I wrote some more details here:

http://kostverlorenvaart.blogspot.nl/2017/12/puck-preparation.html

will add more to the blog, also improve on the video clip, hopefully later this month

Thanks, very useful.