This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Bottomless pf video

Here is a video of my LR using 17.5 g of Ethiopia Hambela natural process with the distribution tool and the compak e5. See any problems? Is it a bit too slow by watching the time?

[video width=425 height=344 type=vimeo]245534364

Comments

• Looks good enough to me. After a slow start, a generous and good looking flow begins to come into the cup. With an Acaia scale you could monitor it also, but if the taste is delightful, no cause for any worry.
  • Frans Goddijn post=14193 wrote: Looks good enough to me. After a slow start, a generous and good looking flow begins to come into the cup. With an Acaia scale you could monitor it also, but if the taste is delightful, no cause for any worry.

Thanks Frans,

I have a Pearl scale and it works OK with the bottomless but still a tight fit.

I know you have compared both the IMS and VST baskets, do you have a preference between those and the stock basket? I have heard on forums the IMS takes a bit finer grind over the VST, have you found this to be true?

thanks
  • Roger Bachman post=14194 wrote: I have heard on forums the IMS takes a bit finer grind over the VST, have you found this to be true?

I don't have a link to the specific person on what forum who said that IMS would take a bit finer grind but since baskets of different make/size/type behave differently it is to be expected that they all need a bit different treatment if you are a perfectionist ;-)

In my experience, the VST basket for 18g can take 17g of more developed roast ground a little more coarsely and 19g of lighter roast ground more fine, whereas an IMS basket for 18g has a wider range in which it can deliver a nice easy and successful extraction. The standard basket with the machine, being tapered, is the easiest of the baskets, good to begin with or to return to when one is a bit lost. If extractions seem to be way off, use the default basket that came with the machine to enjoy enjoyable espresso without wasting too many beans on 'getting it just right' -- then when that goes very well consistently, try the other 'precision / competition' baskets that can take higher doses like the 18g baskets do.

IMS baskets feel a bit easier to work with than VST. Both look great, good finish. VST was first to produce these types of high quality baskets, IMS came later, with a wide range of much similar poducts.

Always make sure to distribute well using the tool for that.

For darker roasts (or beans that don't even look all that dark but taste like they're darker, which you can also chew more easily than light roasted beans if you don't mind testing it between your teeth) I keep a very short pre-infusion time (just waiting until the rotary pump has stopped filling the brew chamber), with lighter roast I tend to wait about 7 seconds after pulling the lever, until the rotary pump comes on for a fraction of a second, indicating pre-infusion was completed. Then lifting the lever for extraction.
  • Nice shot.
    One thing to observe in next shots:
    Here you see that one half of the basket start extraction earlier, and coffee flow from that half is also bigger.
    Usually it means not optimal distribution and/or not level tamping. So you might want to check if this was only this shot or you see a pattern.

Frans :
    I keep a very short pre-infusion time (just waiting until the rotary pump has stopped filling the brew chamber),
    So do you mean you do not wait with darker roast for the whole coffee puck to be in contact with water? You just start the pre-infusion and then end it correct?
  • Paweł Walczak post=14196 wrote:
    So do you mean you do not wait with darker roast for the whole coffee puck to be in contact with water? You just start the pre-infusion and then end it correct?

The 'Primavera' washed Brazilian beans roasted 29 November measure a color of Tonino #95 but they taste / behave like a darker roast. A longer pre-infusion makes the taste too heavy for me. As soon as the rotary pump stopped working, I raise the lever and I can see that dark pearly droplets appear immediately, so the puck was almost completely saturated but I did not wait until the first drops would appear / fall under the pre-infusion pressure. I usually aim for 30g in about 30s but a faster flow is not a problem at all with these beans.
  • Thanks Pawel,

I noticed that also.

I am using the londinium dist tool and then using a leveler/ groomer that does a good job of leveling the coffee. I do a light tamp. I will have to keep checking other shots to see if this normally happens.
  • Frans Goddijn post=14197 wrote: [quote=Paweł Walczak post=14196]

The 'Primavera' washed Brazilian beans roasted 29 November measure a color of Tonino #95 but they taste / behave like a darker roast. A longer pre-infusion makes the taste too heavy for me. As soon as the rotary pump stopped working, I raise the lever and I can see that dark pearly droplets appear immediately, so the puck was almost completely saturated but I did not wait until the first drops would appear / fall under the pre-infusion pressure. I usually aim for 30g in about 30s but a faster flow is not a problem at all with these beans.

Frans sent me one of his medium roast coffees (image above) and his advice above is exactly right; shorten up the pre-infusion time with darker roasts to prevent it being over-extracted. this will ensure the natural sweetness is not lost. Thank you for the coffee frans, which i am enjoying - i am still pushing it a bit too hard at 30s/25g brew weight - i will ease it back to 30s/30g
  • Reiss Gunson post=14205 wrote: i am still pushing it a bit too hard at 30s/25g brew weight - i will ease it back to 30s/30g

Reiss, how do you measure the time? With pre-infusion, or just flow?
  • the pre-infusion time is not included in the figures i have stated above
  • Reiss Gunson post=14205 wrote: Frans sent me one of his medium roast coffees (image above) and his advice above is exactly right; shorten up the pre-infusion time with darker roasts to prevent it being over-extracted. this will ensure the natural sweetness is not lost. Thank you for the coffee frans, which i am enjoying - i am still pushing it a bit too hard at 30s/25g brew weight - i will ease it back to 30s/30g

Thanks Reiss!

These past days I tend to pull about 35g espresso from 18g grinds of these Brazilians. It 'opens up' the subtle sweetness while it still keeps the creamy mouthfeel. I should maybe revert back to a 14g basket for these beans and pull 30g of espresso, a more classic way fitting the classic quality of these beans.