This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Modishspoon?

I saw this on Kickstarter. I'm all for gadgets, but is a special spoon really necessary to stir espresso?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/375392569/modishspoon-change-the-way-of-enjoying-espresso

Comments

• Wow. This product seems so wrong in a lot of ways.
    - good espresso doesn't need sugar to cover up bitterness (ok, I know some folks will disagree on this one)
    - why would I want to keep the crema intact? it tastes disgusting on its own
    - why change something as simple and pretty as a spoon into a useless, fugly piece of metal?

I guess the reason this product exists is that the stereotypical home barista is someone who even enjoys being milked by a growing gadget industry.
  • The only reason I can think that one would want to keep crema intact would be because some believe crema is keeping flavor trapped in it, or maybe under it?

Crema has a mystique about it verging on the magical with some people. Another form of 'eye cupping' in my opinion.

I've heard of some customers spooning OFF the crema, some stirring it into the liquid, and some just drinking the shot. All without putting anything in the espresso. For those that drink it straight I suppose this Klingon looking spoon would stir the liquid with minimal disruption of the crema.

Also, I agree- crema isn't pleasant on it's own. I explain that crema is a sign that your prep in pulling the shot was good and everything went well, not that the crema is the actual goodness in the shot.

To each their own. Taste is a preference. Personally I will try new things every now and again. The last 'new thing' (as an example) cost me $170 US and was the levtamp. So I've spent my experiment money for a while :)

Before something like this I think I'd prefer to try that Aussie invention that is supposed to distribute grounds in the basket better.

Sorry, I'm getting off topic! This spoon is cool in that you can hang them up and pull one down as you need them. I fear they would disappear in a cafe though.
  • Is it fair to say that you won't be a backer, Matthias? :)

I will admit to enjoying a little Splenda in my espresso once in a while, but I usually put it in the cup and pull the choy on top of it, so no more than a light stir is needed.

Richard, Not to hijack my own thread, but how do you like the Levtamp? I blew my coffee budget on the LR and the accessories, but I was looking at the Levtamp the other day.
  • The levtamp is kind of meh... It does line up everything nicely for you, and that's nice. However, it will tilt when you tamp as the sleeve isn't super tight to the piston inside that pushes the tamp down. Hope that makes sense.

SO, if you don't distribute well you can still have a not-so-level tamp.

I bought the mushroom one to try. I can't really recommend it or recommend against it really.
  • Ron Lewen post=13068 wrote: Is it fair to say that you won't be a backer, Matthias? :)

Sorry, if I sounded a little harsh there, didn't mean to insult anyone personally. I just think in the coffee world there are so many things distracting from good coffee, people (including me sometimes ;-)) tend to think they need to upgrade every household item they have to get an improvement in the cup.
    I recently visited a friend with a very sophisticated espresso setup and he made me an espresso from some expensive SO Hasbean roast as he wanted me to try his new favourite. Seriously, that was probably the most unpleasant, sour piss I've ever had to taste, couldn't drink more than a sip.
    What I'm trying to say is that he seemed so distracted with all the gadgets surrounding him that he didn't seem to bother much about the actual espresso.
    In other words: There are already enough tools in your kitchen that will let you stir your espresso without damaging the crema, if you really feel the urge to do so ;-)
  • Richard Gregory post=13072 wrote: The levtamp is kind of meh... It does line up everything nicely for you, and that's nice. However, it will tilt when you tamp as the sleeve isn't super tight to the piston inside that pushes the tamp down. Hope that makes sense.

SO, if you don't distribute well you can still have a not-so-level tamp.

I bought the mushroom one to try. I can't really recommend it or recommend against it really.

I wonder if there is something wrong with your levtamp. I too have a mushroom one, and I haven't noticed anything other than level tamps when using it. I do take care, however, to present level distributions to it.

Matt
  • You'll get level tamps if your distribution technique is good. All I'm saying is that it won't solve problems you create before you tamp because the base will wobble a bit on the ring. The nice thing is it lines your tamp up nicely.

So all I'm saying is you can't expect to be sloppy before the tamp, it's not a fix-all. For the price, I'd like it to be more of a fix all :) Still a good training tool to show people what a properly lined up tamp is.

I do like the sharp edge around the base. It certainly will last forever.
  • I take your point, but you don't want to crush an unbalanced distribution into place with a level tamp either. If there is more coffee on one side of the basket than the other before tamping, the tamp will compress the higher side more than the lower and the result will be an uneven extraction, as the water will rush through the less dense side and trickle through the denser one.

Matt