This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Londinium beans

Hey Reiss

When do you think you will have beans roasted and up online for sale?

Cheers
Ian

Comments

• Hmm, I wanted to post that under the Londinium Beans category not the Pre-sales questions category but it didn't seem to be an option...?

12.00pm 06/09/14
    Hey Reiss
    Thanks for the offer, I need beans, but I'm not desperate enough to make you bend over backwards to set up a special deal just for me. I will use my normal supplier this time and just keep an eye on you website/blog for the announcement that you are ready to go.
    Cheers
    Ian

P.S. I am sure this post has been shifted as it didn't originally appear in the beans section, but now it has been moved I don't seem to have the rights to post a reply? Any idea why I can't post in the Londinium Beans section?
  • hi ian
    yes, i am able to roast, no problem
    the issues i now have are website based - i.e. my website is not configured to support shipping from multiple locations with different shipping rate tables from multiple shippers
    we have reached the point where we are trying to do something fairly tricky for such a small business
    but we have very clever man, kelsey, on the case - next weds kelsey & i are booked to spend a whole day on it
    if you want them urgently perhaps i could roll you some manually as a manual paypal transaction
    i do apologise for the delay, but we have some fairly big structural decisions to make it terms of how we make this all hang together going forward, whilst making the administrative burden as light as possible
    kind regards
    reiss
  • Thanks Reiss

I appreciate being given the Londinium beans posting rights. Even though I haven't purchased any Londinium beans, I have tried them on a number of occasions when they have been included with other shipments.

I have just received 150g of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and 500g of a Nicaraguan La Divina Provendencia but will definitely order Londinium beans in a few weeks time.

I see you have prices up on the website now. How much is shipping likely to be around NZ, say 500g to Invercargill?

Cheers
    Ian
  • i'll just send you some ian - can you email me where you want it to go - i roasted some rwandan this afternoon

anyone in new zealand who pays us a visit will be given a free bag of coffee beans to take away until further notice - we need to get the word out as there is plenty of choice in roasters in NZ, but i think we have something different to offer from what I've tasted to date

notable exceptions from coffee labs nz, espresso workshop, and some of supreme's stuff, who are all worthy competitors. I'm sure we'll find others as we go along
  • Reiss

Thank you for your very generous offer. I will be in touch by email as I have a couple of questions to ask...

Cheers
    Ian
  • hmmmm, i was planning a trip to NZ at some stage :P
  • do come. if you have any choice in the matter id recommend march as the best month to visit - the weather is more settled
  • James
    If you want to visit the deep south we could put you up in Invercargill...
    Cheers
    Ian
  • Ooh thanks Ian, well thats two good espressos now guaranteed in NZ
  • Is there good mountain biking in Invercargill?
    :whistle:
  • Meh, its OK but nothing spectacular.

There are several hours of undulating single track riding cut into the forestry land out at Sandy Point. Google Map: Invercargill, Sandy Point, Southland, New Zealand.

Or if you head 20min south by car to Bluff there are some downhill trails. Google Map: Bluff Hill, Bluff, Southland, New Zealand

Or 2 1/2 hours north you can be in Queenstown, the "Adventure Capital of New Zealand" where there are numerous MTB trails and even a gondola service to get you and your bike to the top of the hill for all day downhill riding! http://www.skyline.co.nz/queenstown/mountain-biking/

If you make it to New Zealand, I would definitly go for a ride in the Whakarewarewa Forest just outside Rotorua, this is where I crashed and separated my AC joint at Christmas on the "Challenge Trail" http://www.riderotorua.com/

Cheers
    Ian
  • Cool, thanks Ian
    We've done Rotorua, and are possibly planning a trip to queenstown early next year, so might have to pop down to your place for a look see.

cheers
    james
    Ian Densie post=5003 wrote: Meh, its OK but nothing spectacular.

There are several hours of undulating single track riding cut into the forestry land out at Sandy Point. Google Map: Invercargill, Sandy Point, Southland, New Zealand.

Or if you head 20min south by car to Bluff there are some downhill trails. Google Map: Bluff Hill, Bluff, Southland, New Zealand

Or 2 1/2 hours north you can be in Queenstown, the "Adventure Capital of New Zealand" where there are numerous MTB trails and even a gondola service to get you and your bike to the top of the hill for all day downhill riding! http://www.skyline.co.nz/queenstown/mountain-biking/

If you make it to New Zealand, I would definitly go for a ride in the Whakarewarewa Forest just outside Rotorua, this is where I crashed and separated my AC joint at Christmas on the "Challenge Trail" http://www.riderotorua.com/

Cheers
    Ian
  • Hey Reiss

What beans have you got on offer at the moment? I'm keen for 500g of something... I probably drink 80% espresso, 20% milk based drinks. Prefer chocolate, caramel, nutty flavours as opposed to passionfruit, tropical, citrus flavours.

Email me the cost and a bank account number and I'll get the $ into it tonight.

Cheers.
    Ian
  • hi ian
    i roasted some colombian for you yesterday
    give it at least 2 weeks post roast and preferably 3 before you open it - this gives it harmony, rather than the broken glass effect that espresso has if it is too fresh
    i am going to get it in the post to you tomorrow - i just have to wade through the various quotes i have here for postage
    best reiss
  • posted. just now. :cheer:
  • Thanks Reiss, the beans arrived today. Thanks for the IMS single basket, it was an unexpected surprise :) I am looking forward to trying the beans and the basket out.
    Cheers
    Ian
  • im roasting a lot lighter now ian, so i would recommend you keep those beans unopened for 3 weeks - I've just opened some at 4 weeks and they still have a lot of zing

if you open these lighter roasts too soon there is no harmony in the roast - allowing them to rest brings all the different flavours together and smoothes everything out

that said, they are your beans, so do with them as you please - we can only advise!

yes, you just have to try that basket - I'm going to dump all my other single baskets as it renders them obsolete
  • Hey Reiss

I am slowly making my way through the last lot of beans that you sent me. I let them rest like you suggested, opened the after 3 and a bit weeks and they have been great.

I thought I better get my next order in now so they have time to rest before I need them. What have you got on offer? I'm keen to give anything a try really, I am happy for you to choose, 500g of one or 2x250g of different beans?

Give me an email with the cost and bank account details and I'll transfer the money to you.

Cheers
    Ian
  • Reiss Gunson post=5296 wrote: im roasting a lot lighter now ian, so i would recommend you keep those beans unopened for 3 weeks - I've just opened some at 4 weeks and they still have a lot of zing

if you open these lighter roasts too soon there is no harmony in the roast - allowing them to rest brings all the different flavours together and smoothes everything out

that said, they are your beans, so do with them as you please - we can only advise!

yes, you just have to try that basket - I'm going to dump all my other single baskets as it renders them obsolete

Good advice on the light roasts and the advice about the single baskets is spot on! I use my IMS "The Single" baskets for low doses and have shelved the standart style single baskets.

I get to impatient on waiting for the light roasts to mature so about the time I run out they are starting to get good, DARN!@!%#@!
  • I ordered some Bolivia and Columbia beans from Reiss; here's my comments on the Bolivia so far. As soon as I get into the Columbia I'll post up but for now I'm concentrating on the Bolivia :)

When Reiss was in GB I would typically get bean orders from there to Nevada/California destinations in 3-5 days maximum. However the logistics of shipping from NZ, assuming any respect for shipping costs, proved to be much slower: 15-days total (with Christmas holiday in the mix of days). So the beans basically arrived at the total recommended rest period; not the end of the world but I do like to taste the progression of flavor profile as the bean ages.

I have been solidly anchored in a couple different beans from Redbird (Bozeman Montana USA): Ethiopia Sidama Red Cherry Premium SO and also a 50/50 blend of Redbird Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Wote Konga & Sumatra Permata Gayo. Both of these result in big bold flavors in the cup! I've primarily been pulling these two beans/bean combo for the past near year (Red Cherry became available late last summer/early fall) with many, many pounds pulled so not only am I intimately familiar with extracting bullseye/near bullseye shots from these but also have the LI temp dialed for these two bean profiles.

I knew from past experience with Reiss' Rwanda beans I was going to need to bump the LI temp up a little more to extract a balanced espresso. The Bolvia beans don't require quite as high of a brew temp as the Rwanda but more than the Redbird beans I've been using. It took me most of the first 250g bag of Londinium Bolivia to get my dose and group temp figured out but once I did, at the beginning of the 2nd 250g bag of same, I have been able to extract some very tasty espresso. I monitor my group temp...which has meaning to me for benchmark temp purposes only but I had to bump the group temp about 5-6 degrees F to get to the bullseye of flavor profile for the Bolivia beans (@15+ days post roast).

The best shots of the Bolivia I have pulled so far have been at 16.5g bean weight in a VST 18g basket with a PI of around 5-seconds and liquid weight of 23g. This combination resulted in a well balanced flavor profile with a sweet-ish lower acid grapefruit citrus presence (think Pomelo or Oro Blanco) coupled with a light, dry cocoa underlying profile with a slight nuttiness near the end (peanut?).

Although I would like to have tasted these beans with less rest I have to say even at 15+ days post-roast the Bolivia beans and Reiss' roast profile are impressive and tasty!