This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Roast dial-in question

I'm not a roaster...

...But I'm curious: When you've got a bean you are roasting for the first time (no prior experience with the bean) and given best flavor profile is 1-2 week rest wait how do you know you've got the proper roast profile...without waiting a week or two to cup?

It certainly seems, from the outside looking in, roasting is even more of a proverbial "3-legged stool" than even making espresso!

Comments

• I certainly am no expert but just going by sight sound and smell has worked OK for me but I follow the roasting recommendations on the greens provided by Sweet Maria's. I try to wait a week before testing the beans, but rarely make it to the one week mark to test.

Reiss is the expert! His roasts are very nice, but sadly very expensive to import/ship.
  • I think its more of a one legged stool :silly:

I guess if you have a bigger roaster you can cup

Otherwise its just practice and experience

I often grind straight after roasting just to get an idea of flavours
  • I have tried that but also have noticed that oils come out of the beans a few days afterwards. I suspect it makes a taste difference.
  • absolutely
    it's constantly changing, i've even ground every morning for 14 days to see the taste evolution

I'm tempted to try small manual eject of beans at various times during the roast on the hot top, but i figure the largest percent drop in bean mass will screw up the roast
  • James Springfield post=2909 wrote: absolutely
    it's constantly changing, i've even ground every morning for 14 days to see the taste evolution

I'm tempted to try small manual eject of beans at various times during the roast on the hot top, but i figure the largest percent drop in bean mass will screw up the roast

I think you are correct, disrupting the roast in progress messes up the profile. It would be similar to adding green beans part way through the roast, sort of ...
  • so there really is only one solution....a bigger roaster

I'm working on SWMBO to knock down the current garage, put in a 3 bay two story monster with room for workshops and a roasting area in the back.....progress is slow
  • WOW! Quite the project!!!