This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

LR24 pump pulsing

The pump on my machine has started to pulse when I pull the lever to clean the screen after pulling a shot, sometimes it stops after 15-30 secs, today it carried on until I turned off machine.

I have a video but when I try to insert It's not being accepted.

Comments

• hi peter

click on the cog icon in the top right of your post above, then click edit

then click the icon with the <> symbols on it

that will allow you to paste the url for your video that you have published on youtube, vimeo, or other web hosting site

note that if you drag the machine along the bench rather than lift it you can dislodge the non return valve

to rectify this take a hammer and hit in inside the area shown in the green circle on the image below 6 times in staccato fashion; this will reseat the non return valve

kind regards

• Thanks Reiss

I thought I could I could post video straight from my computer.

I'll give the hammer tap a go.

• This is what I had before hitting with hammer.

This is after.

• edited November 2020

hi peter

thank you for posting these clips

if you set the preinfusion pressure to 6 bar, what is the highest pressure that you see on the console screen?

it needs to reach 12 bar at a minimum

if it is not then adjust the expansion valve as shown in this post:

https://forum.londiniumespresso.com/discussion/904/does-the-pump-stutter-on-and-off-repeatedly-when-your-lr-is-idle#latest

let me know what you discover

kind regards

reiss.

• Thanks Reiss

I'll let you know when I check.

• I presume I can use the App to check, if so at 6 bar I'm getting 11.8 - 12 bar.

Machine seems to have settled down to 1 to 5 pulses after short cleaning flush.

• hi peter

i will write an email right now and copy you in and arrange to send you the bits that make up the non return valve

you will need the following set wrenches; 19, 17, and 13mm

i am happy to have a video call with you to help swap the parts over if you prefer

kind regards

reiss

• Thanks Reiss

Very kind of you, I should be okay to swap over parts.

If I have any issues I'll let you know.

• Hi Reiss

New parts fitted on Saturday, everything went fine when tested, when machine turned on Sunday pump started to pulse straight away and would not stop.

Valve taken out and checked, I took off o-ring and found a small piece of swarf, valve carefully reinstalled and all seems fine now. No problems this morning.

I noticed while testing machine I have a slightly leaky anti-vac valve, I tried to remove valve to replace with spare but It's not moving. Is this fitted with thread seal, I presume I just have to hit spanner harder, any tips to help remove valve.

Thanks

• hi peter

thank you for taking the time to report back

the only thing i would say looking at the images above is perhaps the pressure hose is being pulled around too small an arc around behind the pump

you can alleviate this quite easily if you remove the back panel and you will discover that the other end of the pressure hose connects to an elbow fitting before joining the pump and this elbow fitting can be articulated to the left to give you a bit more pressure hose to take forwards so it isnt pulling on it quite so tightly on the end that joins the NRV

on the anti vac valve i suggest tapping it in staccato fashion first, when the boiler is pressurised, to use the steam to dislodge any grit/debris that may be present. if that doesnt work then these days i would probably suggest a deep 17mm socket over a wrench to remove the anti vac as it is harder to access with the ambidextrous boiler pipe location, connected to a breaker bar rather than a ratchet wrench, and then strike the breaker bar with a hammer to shock the threads apart as normal

kind regards

reiss

• Hi Reiss

I'll move the elbow for the hose so it's not pulling, regarding anti vac I've tried pressing the top quite a few times but hasn't worked, I'll get hold of a socket and breaker bar and try that.

Thanks.

• Hi Reiss

I moved the elbow fitting over to the left so the hose runs smoother to the NRV, relieving a small kink in the hose last week and I have had no problems with pulsing since.

Thanks very much for your help. 🙂

• edited December 2020

Hi Reiss

I seemed to have spoke to soon, I turned machine on tonight and I,m back this

https://youtu.be/LB-fk190-As

• hi peter

wrap 5 turns of ptfe tape around the top thread on the brass NRV housing that screws into the bottom of the manifold

do not allow the ptfe tape to rise above the top of the uppermost thread

this will cause the brass housing to stand off the manifold slightly and i believe it will solve the issue

i apologise that you are having to play around with the NRV

kind regards

reiss.

• Ok Reiss, I'll give it a try.

• Hi Reiss

ptfe tape now added, pump not pulsing at the moment, hopefully this sorts the issue, I'll update in a few days.

Thanks.

Pete.

• Hi Reiss

This morning I got woken up by my machine.

Turned machine off then back on which stopped the pump, after pulling shot the pump started pulsing again after short cleaning flush.

• hi peter

i know what that is. it isnt the non return valve. i will send you the part you need and also a pdf instruction sheet

kind regards

reiss.

• Hi Reiss

Thanks very much

Pete.

• i have PM'd you the PDF, so hopefully you have received it. reiss.

• PDF received, board on it's way.

• Hi Reiss

New board fitted last night and all seemed ok, when using machine this morning the pump started to pulse after the boiler refilled and only stopped when I pulled a shot. It didn't start to pulse after short cleaning flush.

https://youtu.be/suZNS1I7uJU

• hi peter

would you mind sending a clip that records the pre infusion pressure numbers moving on the console screen (under the right side panel)?

kind regards

reiss.

• edited December 2020

Hi Reiss

I'll send a clip later, with the new board installed I haven't been able to connect to the app yet, do I need to press reset button.

This morning I was woken again by the pump, the machine was on a plug in timer.

https://youtu.be/AA5CL_tmy60

• edited December 2020

hi peter

you have a grandfather clock/similar nearby i take it?

in the first video of the three clips the regular ticking sound is present before the machine is turned on, other than the singular pump pulse at 16s to lift the pressure when it falls below 3.2 bar (which i would consider normal), correct?

the first video does not indicate any problem that i can detect

the second video does not indicate any problem that i can detect

the third video does not indicate any problem that i can detect

did i miss something?

• with the new board it is quite possible that you will need to reset the board to get rid of the factory connection - have i sent you instructions on how to do this? also check that the board is not in standby mode when you perform the reset or it will not have any effect. to take the board out of standby mode push and hold the left of the three buttons underneath the LCD screen for a couple of seconds, after which time the words 'Standby mode' should disappear from the screen. Immediately perform the reset.

i am available for a video call if you prefer

kind regards

reiss.

• Hi Reiss

Yes I have a clock, can you send me instructions on how to do the reset.

Pete.

• hi peter

apologies for the delayed reply

with the cover off the control board you will easily spot the reset button in the bottom left corner of the board - it has the word 'RESET' written in small print underneath it. push and hold the reset button until you see the tiny flashing green/yellow LED just above the reset button on the extreme left edge of the board change its pulse rate (it has the word 'STATUS' written vertically beside it

let me know how you get on

kind regards

reiss.