This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Gicar, continued.

Riese, this is a delayed response to the Gicar troubleshooting directions that you gave me on the closed thread. Attached is a still shot showing me jumping the reservoir contacts. The installed Gicar does not recognize the reservoir completion circuit.
(The harness wires are connected to the eight terminals of the replacement Gicar the same way that they were connected to the modification Gicar.)

Riese, please understand that when I first contacted you, I was not expecting something for nothing. I had assumed that your shop had supplied reservoir L1s to the American market and I was expecting to buy a replacement Gicar from you.
When you established that the L1 had been modded by David Cividanes, I was completely, unpleasantly surprised, as I expect you were, too.

Since David was not an espresso machine technician, it begs the question: who modified the machine for him? We both do not know.

When I did not receive an offer of a controller from you, I turned to two domestic shops, neither of which were familiar with the L1. They both offered me the same Gicar that they had in stock without any knowledge of the machine’s circuits. As it is, I wasted my money on this inappropriate replacement.
If your shop assembles reservoir machines for the American (120 volt) market, do you have a controller to sell me? If you do not make 120 volt reservoir machines, do you have any suggestions?

B

Attached files

Comments

• To be precise: when I turn on the machine with the terminals jumped, the alarm beeps and the pump never starts up.
  • hi buckley

the first thread you open is not closed, but never mind
    (i moved it to the correct LR/L1(2012-16) sub forum, as i have done with this thread)

there is a disconnect in our communications

you write above;

When I did not receive an offer of a controller from you, I turned to two domestic shops, neither of which were familiar with the L1. They both offered me the same Gicar that they had in stock without any knowledge of the machine’s circuits. As it is, I wasted my money on this inappropriate replacement.
    If your shop assembles reservoir machines for the American (120 volt) market, do you have a controller to sell me? If you do not make 120 volt reservoir machines, do you have any suggestions?

this is simply not correct

please see below the email that you sent me and i replied to on 17 September 2020 as below:

because this is the 240V Gicar we use:

https://londiniumespresso.com/store/parts?product_id=142&sort=p.price&order=DESC

and this is the 115V Gicar we use:

https://londiniumespresso.com/store/parts?product_id=219&sort=p.price&order=DESC

so my guess is the Gicar that has burnt out is not the one the factory fitted to it

your thoughts?

kind regards

reiss.

On 17 Sep 2020, at 19:36, Buckley wrote:

Dear Reiss,

Well, that is exactly it - I am taking great care to get the correct Gicar but the label suggests a 240 volt controller (see attached). It has been functioning normally for years on 120 voltage. I am looking for the paperwork for a serial number or somesuch. We do not know what the proper replacement is.

Buckley

----- Forwarded Message -----
    To: Buckley
    Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2020, 12:17:00 PM EDT
    Subject: Re: Gicar controller

The alimentazione shows 240V which is the EU voltage

all other components inside the machine must say same voltage

otherwise yes something is not right

anyhow the 220v is the same of this one even if the code is different

it can be special ordered from Italy, I have an order pending and potentially can be add to it then once the PO is in their hands will take 3 weeks or so,

the price is in the same control box range of 285-200 or so

but first you need to figure out the real voltage of the rest of the mahcine

this is the one I'm looking at,

<9V8318 (1)_W.jpg><9V8318 (2)_W.jpg>
    Stefano's Espresso Care
    www.espressocare.com
    Authorized Service Repairs and Sales
    Elektra--Isomac--La Marzocco--La Pavoni
    Saeco--Rancilio--Vibiemme
    Elmira Oregon USA

On 9/17/2020 9:12 AM, Buckley wrote:
    Nothing in the picture says 230v to me - but I am just a mindless consumer. Anyway, I have been using it plugged into a standard 120v American outlet for 6 or 7 years now. Boiler get up to steam with no problem. Pump and electrics worked as normal.

Buckley

On Thursday, September 17, 2020, 12:08:44 PM EDT, Stefano wrote:

picture shows 230V no?

Stefano's Espresso Care
    www.espressocare.com
    Elmira Oregon USA

On 9/17/2020 9:08 AM, Buckley wrote:
    No. I made a mistake on my first email to you - - - I have a 120 volt machine!

Buckley

On Thursday, September 17, 2020, 10:35:41 AM EDT, Stefano wrote:

BUT yours is a 230v therfor no we don't ops

just notice that

Stefano's Espresso Care
    www.espressocare.com
    Elmira Oregon USA

On 9/16/2020 4:29 PM, Buckley wrote:
    Thank you.

On Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 7:17:54 PM EDT, Stefano wrote:

Not really, looking at the functions and the pins

the only function that is different is the pin6 "lever switch" that is semiauto machine will be activating the pump once the lever and the micro are engaged

but let's see what the supplier also says (one completely said NO)

and go from there

I'll let you know tomorrow

sincerely

Stefano

Stefano's Espresso Care
    www.espressocare.com
    Elmira Oregon USA
    On 9/16/2020 4:13 PM, Buckley wrote:
    I used some solvent and scraped a layer of crusted plastic off to reveal more of the label: is 9.1.41.86G what we are looking for?
    Significant difference from the ....57G code in your picture?

Buckley

On Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 6:08:09 PM EDT, Stefano wrote:

Ouch

we can check with couple of our suppliers to see if they can cross-reference it my the machine name and model but not sure if that information will gave us much results

you should have a printing on the inside on the motherboard itself

something like 9.10.....

Stefano's Espresso Care
    www.espressocare.com
    Elmira Oregon USA

On 9/16/2020 2:22 PM, Buckley wrote:
    Dear Stefano or correspondent,

My Gicar controller burst into flame inside of my machine. As you can see from the photo, the information is obscured.

I need a controller for a 220 volt Londinium I. It is one of the first machines shipped to the U.S. I do not have the manufacture date, but I am thinking it is 2013.

Do you have a replacement in stock?

Buckley
    <9V8318 (2)_W.jpg><9V8318 (1)_W.jpg>

in my email reply to you above i provided you with a direct url link to the 120V Gicar controller that you needed for your machine and you elected to purchase it elsewhere, which you are more than entitled to do

however, you now you have a problem with the 120V Gicar you purchased elsewhere so surely it is common commercial practice for you to go back to the party who sold you the 120V Gicar and petition them for assistance? (rather than me)

additionally, as i have written in another email, and also on this forum in response to your earlier post, that both our records and the factory records show this machine was built as a 115V machine, so i am unclear as to why you think we do not build 115V editions and supply 115V spare parts for them. we send parts orders to the USA monday through friday, almost every week of the year.

furthermore i am perplexed as to why your images show a burnt out 240V Gicar in a machine that was built as a 120V machine; it is clearly not the Gicar that was fitted to the machine at the factory as a 240V Gicar in a 120V power supply will simply not function

please step me through what im missing on this

kind regards

reiss.
  • anyway, to get back to your low water alarm test you need to remove the water box carrier and pull the female terminal connectors off the low water electrodes on the underside of the water box carrier

then join those two wires to close the low water alarm circuit and see if that solves your issue

kind regards

reiss.