This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Pump problems on 2015 L1

Hi,

I have a 2015 L1 and haven't had any problems since I bought the machine 5 years ago. A couple of weeks ago the pump's sound changed to higher pitch and it started to take more time to fill. Today the noise changed to an even higher pitch and it no longer seems to pump anything in (never ends). Do I need a new pump or could it be something else?

Br,
Andreas

Comments

• hello Andreas
    most likely the pump needs to be replaced, but it is worth checking first that the solenoid is opening
    ensure the machine is cold (depressurised)
    place the machine on the drain tray beside your kitchen sink, or other location where water can run out of the machine and not cause harm
    i suggest unscrewing the pressure hose that connects to the outlet side of the pump at the point it screws to the inlet solenoid
    direct the free end of the pressure hose outboard of the machine so it does not pump water into the machine when the pump activates, ideally into a bowl or similar
    turn the machine on, the Gicar control unit will turn the pump on unless the boiler is already full to the maximum point
    if the boiler is full and the machine turns the heating element on immediately then wait for the boiler to pressurise and open the hot tap until enough water is allowed out of the boiler for the blue light and pump to turn on
    when the pump turns on do you get a strong stream of water out the end of the pressure hose and has the noise from the pump disappeared?
    if so the cause is the solenoid; look on about page 8 of the Permanent file to see how to take the solenoid apart to clean it out
    if you dont get much water out of the end of the pressure hose when the pump turns on the pump is the issue
    there is a post on how to change that pump in the permanent file also
    kind regards

reiss.
  • Hi,

Thanks; I did the check and it seems like it's the solenoid. The sound changed to normal. Is the stream normal? Here's a video:

-Andreas
  • Hi,

I cleaned the solenoid and machine works like a charm again!

Thanks again!

-Andreas
  • super Andreas! thats how this forum is meant to work. have a good weekend. reiss.
  • Hi,

I was a bit hasty with my previous reply. The sound is much better and it fills, bun unfortunately is still very slow (i.e. takes more time). Especially after flushing or using the hot water tap.

Did you look at the video; is the stream strong enough?

-Andreas
  • hi Andreas

actually, after the solenoid on your machine is a non return valve

open the non return valve and give that a clean too; that might be the culprit

kind regards

reiss.
  • hi Andreas

actually, after the solenoid on your machine is a non return valve:

i appreciate that the machine in the image above is a plumb in luxe version, but that portion of the plumbing is the same as on your machine with the non return valve downstream of the inlet solenoid

after 5 years the non return valve is likely to need a clean and then it should be good to go again

note that the chaps at the factory have probably used liquid ptfe on the threads on the non return valve (which i think is unnecessary, and if it is necessary loxeal 55-03 is a much nicer product to use) so gently heat the body of the non return valve to 150-200C if it is proving difficult to open

kind regards

reiss.

Attached files

• Hi,

I cleaned the non-return valve today, but unfortunately it's still very slow in refilling the boiler. After a 3 dl flush it took forever and the Gicar box started beeping a few times (switched off/on in between).

-Andreas
  • Maybe the solenoid cleaning was just partially successful. I had a similar issue once and as I found it cumbersome to take apart the solenoid (without a vise nearby) I just replaced it with a new one and that solved it.
  • hi Andreas

yes it will be as frans has suggested; most likely the coil in the solenoid is tired

if you decide to purchase the solenoid from us i suggest you get the pump at the same time as it will not increase the courier charge and once the machine is 5 years old the piston pump could fail at any time

kind regards

reiss.
  • Hi,

Thanks for the info! I'll try replacing the solenoid.

Btw, is it possible to install the rotary pump to my machine?

-Andreas
  • hi Andreas
    no, it is not possible to fit the rotary pump to your machine
    kind regards
    reiss.
  • Hi,

Just wanted to report back. I guess it was the pump; I replaced the solenoid, but that didn't help. Yesterday I had the plumber over and now the machine is plumbed-in. Ah life is good again!!!

Thanks,
    Andreas