This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

GS3 style (top mounted) steam wand

I have been drooling over the idea of having a steam wand that goes from the top of the valve. I am not sure of its name, but some photos will certainly be handy:

(Minus the bulky connecting bit - it looks ugly :) )

The reason I would want this not just about aesthetics. I do sometimes struggle with having less milk in the pitcher (and I tried few). I do get good micro foam for latte art. The technique might not be perfect as I tend to angle the wand a bit more, which makes it more difficult to lower the pitcher without hitting the bend/rubber piece of the wand. Secondly, it would be much easier to use Espazolla tool if there was no wand.

Is this possible with Londinium R (late 2018 model)?
What would I need to do/replace? Would it be as simple as flipping the valve upside down and fitting the new wand?
How do I go about sourcing one...

Cheers,
P

Comments

• hi

it looks like a bolt on for a Vesuvius as i don't see it featured in their stock images here; http://www.elcor.it/vesuvius-en/

if i were you id drop them a line, or your local Vesuvius reseller

kind regards

reiss.
  • Reiss Gunson post=15771 wrote: hi

it looks like a bolt on for a Vesuvius as i don't see it featured in their stock images here; http://www.elcor.it/vesuvius-en/

if i were you id drop them a line, or your local Vesuvius reseller

kind regards

reiss.
    Thanks Reiss. Yeah, as far as I know it was never a standard and just one off. However, it is an interesting prospect and I’m just wondering if it would ever fit Londinium steam taps.

I’ll see what Paolo says about it.
  • the steam and water valves are, like most things on espresso machines, catalogue components

they are made by the same people that make the lever group

i would be surprised if it doesn't screw straight on

kind regards

reiss
  • Thanks Reiss, that’s good to know. Am I right saying I should be able to loosen up the steam valve assembly and rotate it by 180 degrees?
  • yes.

as you loosen and tighten the nut that secures the copper pipe to the back of the valve be sure to hold the valve with your free hand at the 'T' otherwise it will turn

best

reiss.
  • Brilliant, thanks Reiss.

No reply from ACS (Paolo) yet, but still have some web shops to crawl through and see if I can find a place to source such steam arm.

I’m quite worried it won’t solve any problems, but worth a try regardless.
  • PPapa post=15768 wrote:

Is this possible with Londinium R (late 2018 model)?
    What would I need to do/replace? Would it be as simple as flipping the valve upside down and fitting the new wand?
    How do I go about sourcing one...

Cheers,
    P

I know this is an old thread, but yes, it is as simple as flipping the valve upside down and fitting the new wand.

I ordered the GS3 wand through espresso parts and used the original rubber finger guard off of the LR steam wand. The steam tip on the GS3 steam wand is different than the original LR steam tip, so that will need to be replaced as well. I used this as an opportunity to upgrade to the adjustable LW steam tip.

Here is a link to the wand that I ordered:

https://www.espressoparts.com/la-marzocco-gs-3-steam-wand

• thanks Brandon. options!
  • GS/3 parts ordered... doing the same. Brandon, thank you for sharing...

In my case, just went with the stock GS/3 steam tip as well... I might not install this right away, but wanted to have the parts here for whenever I want to make the switch...

Nothing wrong with the stock setup... this just looks cool, lol.
  • Jaime O Diaz post=16834 wrote: GS/3 parts ordered... doing the same. Brandon, thank you for sharing...

In my case, just went with the stock GS/3 steam tip as well... I might not install this right away, but wanted to have the parts here for whenever I want to make the switch...

Nothing wrong with the stock setup... this just looks cool, lol.
    I was quoted astronomical price, in region of £120~150 if I recall correctly. I thought I can live with it now, although sometimes I do find myself hoping for a longer steam wand when steaming for less milk.

May I ask if you ordered only the steam wand and the tip? That would be parts 1 & 3, with product codes L173 and T2101. A rubber sleeve would probably be a good idea, but it sounds like an O-ring isn't required.
    https://lamarzoccoparts.com.au/parts/gs3/steam-and-hot-water
  • I ordered the:

La Marzocco GS3 Steam Wand - Part # T2101
    La Marzocco Stainless Steel Steam Wand Tip - Part # L173 (correct, description mentioned no o-ring required)
    La Marzocco Steam Wand Heat Protector -Part # F2017 (because I want to leave the stock sleeve on the LR wand)

Total came to US$102.00 with tax and free shipping... this was from Espresso Parts in the US.
  • Done! Thank you Brandon!

I will have to test performance to see how this setup compares. The stock setup (tip) on the LR is amazing at steaming perfect milk... No, I am no expert, but it was so easy the THREE times I tried it, hehehehe. I hope this at least compares favorably to the stock setup.

1 - MZ_404-(MZ_404) La Marzocco GS3 Steam Wand
    1 - MZ_208-(MZ_208) La Marzocco Stainless Steel Steam Wand Tip
    1 - MZ_405-(MZ_405) La Marzocco SteamWand Heat Protector
    1 - W15295 - Steam Wand Anti-scorch Clip - 8 mm (waiting on this) - this is still required because even with the rubber cover, sucker gets extremely hot...

I like that I can now move it out of the way as I seldom do milk-based drinks.

• This thread has really inspired me.
    I absolutely love the steam power and micro foam my r24 produces but I do wish the wand was a little longer for bigger jugs (I’m thinking of my 500ml decent)

I bit the bullet and bought a gs3 wand but purchased a #0 slayer 4 hole tip (1.0mm holes) as I believe the stock r24 tip is 1.0mm holes (someone correct me if I’m wrong)

I will keep you updated on my thoughts when I install it
    I absolutely love the steam power and micro foam my r24 produces but I do wish the wand was a little longer for bigger jugs (I’m thinking of my 500ml decent)

I bit the bullet and bought a gs3 wand but purchased a #0 slayer 4 hole tip (1.0mm holes) as I believe the stock r24 tip is 1.0mm holes (someone correct me if I’m wrong)

• not sure if it is relevant hugh, but customers in the past have fitted the longer L1/2/3 steam wand to the L1(2012-16)/LR/R24
  • Thankyou very much Reiss,

I had given it some thought about buying the l1 wand but the shape of the gs3 wand has suckered me in like Jaime.

If it doesn’t work for me aesthetically I will definitely go down the l1 wand route :)

Thanks again
  • The only downside to this modification is that you will no longer be able to sit the jug to heat up /froth the milk, when doing 4 oz.

With the stock wand, and small amounts of milk in the jug, you can just leave the jug resting on the tray. Now, with the GS3 wand, it does not go down enough when using small amounts of milk.

Not a big deal, but something to be aware of...

I do mostly espressos, so not an issue for me. But someone asked me about it and I gave it a try to confirm, so figured I would share here as well.
  • Hi, has anyone tried to shorten the pipe (tip end) and then "re-tapped" threads further up onto the pipe to reattach the nozzle ? i.e to make the pipe a tad shorter.
  • Just an update: I wasn’t really a fan of the mod, I had gotten lazy ghost riding the steam wand so it’s back to the lr wand for me (stock is way quieter too)
  • Thanks for the heads up.
    Noobie question but what is ghost riding ?
  • Darren Watson post=17327 wrote:
    Noobie question but what is ghost riding ?

I was wondering the same! My guess is it's an example of "auto correct'" changing something obvious into something mysterious ;-)
  • did it involve patrick swayze?
  • well you live n learn...i shall give this a go....i'll either love it or hate it....i'll leave my temp probe in though until i become more experienced at determining the temp by feel alone; it may take a while lol.