This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Clicking sound from within the machine

Hello,
I own a Londinium R from 2018 with the wireless digitale preinfusion installed. Very happy with it.
However sometimes there is a strange sound - I have attached a Link to a video showing the sound.
I hope someone can help identify where the sound is coming from and whether it is normal. Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Can you take off the top and side panels and take more time to get close to the machine with the camera, taking your time, so one can see and hear better where the sound is closer / louder?

With the panels off you can also see if it's the pump having a 'spasm' since you can then see the water hose that has a metal jacket have that 'spasm', like a 'knee-jerk" reaction.

Especially study details with the camera in close up, not shaking, with sharp focus and enough light so you can show very precisely in all detail if there is a little leak maybe that causes the pump to maybe activate to top up the lost pressure again and again.

You can also video the pressure reading, also on your app, all to get a better and complete view.

Remember you are the only one there at your machine, we have to guess all that you can easily see.

Better info from you provides a better chance of the right advice...
  • Thanks for answering! I cant trigger the sound right now, but I have discovered a leak under the water tank, which also leaks onto my kitchen countertop.
  • Sorry for the way the pictures have been turned upside Down. Could the water be due to me removing the tank when filling it?
  • And a new video:
  • Here is a video with the panels off. The sound is triggered after pulling a shot. The sound does not get triggered when only flushing. The sound stays on after the shot. When machine is turned off the sound gods away.
  • It's best to keep the reservoir/tank in its place when filling. It's not made / designed to be taken out and slipped back in all the time. If you slip it in place slowly, you can observe there is a moment when water flows from it but not into where it should. If you slip it in quickly, no problem but just leave it in unless it's technically necessary to take it out. For instance I take it out when re-installing the top panel after taking that off if it's necessary for maintenance.
  • Thanks!
    Here is a video of the clicking sound. It only happens after a shot and keep clicking afterwards until I turn off the machine. The sound does not come on, if I am only flushing.
  • Thanks!
    Here is a video of the clicking sound. It only happens after a shot and keep clicking afterwards until I turn off the machine. The sound does not come on, if I am only flushing.
  • Thanks for your help!

Kind regards Emil
  • Thanks for your help!
    Here is a video of the clicking sound. It only happens after a shot and keep clicking afterwards until I turn off the
    machine. The sound does not come on, if I am only flushing.
  • Emil Rønnow post=17082 wrote: Sorry for the way the pictures have been turned upside Down. Could the water be due to me removing the tank when filling it?

almost certainly. as frans says, i dont recommend pulling the water tank in and out to fill it; leave it in situ and these troubles won't occur

kind regards

reiss.
  • hi emil

my off the cuff response would be that it is the pump, but looking at the brief moments in your video clip when the pressure hose from the pump is in frame there doesnt appear to be any movement in the pressure hose, which would suggest it isnt the pump

so i would suggest this exclusive factory londinium sound detection tool, available from a kitchen near you to locate the source of the noise, which i think frans also mentioned above:

hold one end to the suspected source of the noise and the other end to your ear; very simple, highly effective

let us know how you get on

kind regards

reiss.
  • Thanks for answering! Luckily I have been able to get my hands on this exclusive tool and will try it :-)
    Could the clicking sound be due to me picking it up in car and driving a couple of hours? Could this somehow lead to air in the system?
  • Just pulled a shot with pre infusion set to 0.0 bar (manually since I cannot connect to the wireless module). No clicking sound afterwards.
    Pulled a shot with preinfusion set to 4.0 bar. No clicking sound afterwards.
    Hopefully it is gone, but I will keep my eyes open.

Regarding the wireless module I am certain that I am typing in the correct information on my 2.4 G wifi. So I think a reset is neccesery. But the module is facing the opposite way and there I cannot push the button. How do I do this?

Attached files

• Emil Rønnow post=17092 wrote: Thanks for answering! Luckily I have been able to get my hands on this exclusive tool and will try it :-)
    Could the clicking sound be due to me picking it up in car and driving a couple of hours? Could this somehow lead to air in the system?

Not sure. On the bigger commercial one group Londinium I heard clicking for a while after I had made apple sauce from apple parts, using the big steam wand for a long time continuously. A fun experiment but the machine's steam wand seemed intended for milk, not apple sauce making ;-)
  • Hi Emil

i dont recommend that you set the preinfusion less than the boiler pressure (1.0 bar), otherwise the water is going to run out of the boiler when the solenoid opens to fill the boiler

the issue with your dongle facing the wrong way will be the result of the serial port being mounted into the dongle the wrong way around

to solve this unplug the machine from the electrical supply, open the black metal box that houses the electronics for the pressure transducer, and unscrew the serial port and turn it over and screw it back down and then put the lid back on the housing and remount it

if it is not obvious to you how this should be done let me know and i will try to find some images for you

that will get the dongle facing the correct way and then i can help you to connect to your phone with a video call, but please have two devices available, say your phone and an iPad/equivalent with the londinium app on the iPad so you can train the camera on your phone on the screen of the iPad so i can step you through it

kind regards

reiss.
  • Thanks for answering. I have removed the 4 screws, but does not seems to be enough - Is there some hidden screw I cant find?

• yes, in the top left behind the frame you will find a screw that needs a 7mm wrench

you can see the lug in the top left; this is where you will find the screw with the 7mm head

once the screw is removed you need to pull the frame a little towards you and wriggle the pressure transducer console down and out, note that it has a right angle down the right side of the console so you will need to jiggle it a little and work the angles

kind regards

reiss.
  • Now the wireless module is set up! Thanks for your help!

Pulled a shot and the clicking sound was back... I think I will observe it over the next days to see if it goes away. I have not been able to find something not working.
    But thank you very much for your great help!
  • Suddenly this morning the pump does not turn on... maybe a lose wire? I think I will have to check.
    Any specific wires I sound put my attention on?
  • Emil Rønnow post=17101 wrote: Suddenly this morning the pump does not turn on...

You write "suddenly" -- was the pump on and then suddenly stopped?

Is the boiler hot / can you draw steam and hot water and if you fill a mug with hot water, does the pump not activate?
  • Frans Goddijn post=17102 wrote: [quote=Emil Rønnow post=17101]Suddenly this morning the pump does not turn on...

You write "suddenly" -- was the pump on and then suddenly stopped?

Is the boiler hot / can you draw steam and hot water and if you fill a mug with hot water, does the pump not activate?

To clarify, when I worked on the wireless module yesterday I took out the pressure transducer and had to move the gicar a bit. When done and the wireless module Was working I put it in place and turned off the machine. Therefore I did not activate the pump. Before I worked on the wireless module the pump was working fine and was activated when pulling down the lever.
    Today when turning the machine on the heat element kicked in, and just to check I tried to flush the group. But the pump was not activated. Therefore I am pretty sure that I have done something when talking out the wireless module causing a bad connect somewhere.

I have not tried to take out water due to me being scared of burning off the boiler if the pump is not filling the boiler.
  • How much water can be taken out from the hot water valve before the pump should kick in?
  • And another thing. What does this means?

• a small mug is enough, an espresso cup too little
  • Thank you! I just tried it, and the pump was activated. Thank you very much for your time.

Now I am just wondering what the error message about the expvalve means
  • To sum up my current concern is the message “Check Expvalve”, which I have not been succesful in finding the meaning of this errorcode.
    Futhermore I have found out that when I set the preinfusion to 2.0 bar or under the pump does not get activated.
    Any ideas what these two things are about?
  • Emil Rønnow post=17109 wrote: To sum up my current concern is the message “Check Expvalve”

I believe Reiss explained this in one of the messages about this phenomenon already.

Mainly, nothing to worry about. If the pressure in the thermosifon is above a certain value, the expansion valve drips some droplets of water back into the water reservoir which you can observe through the little transparent water hose.

Above a lower value, the control board states "check exp.valve" -- it does seem to instruct you to do something but it's just a text people thought would be helpful at the time when the option was built in.

If cold water is added to the thermisofon to keep the set pressure, that little bit of cold water immediately heats up and expands. This creates a great increase of pressure if there is no expansion valve. The valve opens somewhere between 10-15bar.
    Futhermore I have found out that when I set the preinfusion to 2.0 bar or under the pump does not get activated.

Setting a certain pre-infusion does not itself activate the pump.

The pump is activated when the pressure in the thermosifon falls below the set pressure.