This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Londinium R service tasks and frequency of them

My Londinium R is slowly ticking to the first year anniversary. It's been a joy to own an LR so far and I am truly loving it.

I am currently on such schedule:
[ul]
[li]Daily Espazzola clean, wash basket and portafilter, wipe down the machine[/li]
[li]Weekly Cafiza soak for basket, shower screen (and occasionally steam tip)[/li]
[li]Occasional wax of wood[/li]
[li]Wash the water tank every few months[/li]
[li]Cleaned piston and re-lubed after 6 months[/li]
[li](Just about to) replace piston seals, portafilter gasket and re-lube piston - I imagine I will do this every year[/li]
[/ul]

What else needs to be done on a scheduled basis as opposed to "wait until it breaks"? Shall I worry about steam/hot water toggles, seals, boiler, etc?

I feed machine with BWT jug filtered water. I live in area with soft water, 12.5 ppm of calcium carbonate.

Cheers,
Paul.

Comments

• hi paul

good to hear from you

wait until it breaks is actually a very good strategy, with the exception being hard water

definitely run the piston seals until they leak - you're just throwing money away otherwise

have the parts on hand of course, but wait for the leak

ive not yet known a domestic machine to need to seals replacing on the steam and water valves, but if the toggles have never run that smoothly then taking them apart, stripping the grease, cleaning the internals, lightly regreasing, and reassembling will make it a whole lot smoother (they get smoother as they age, but you want to keep the grease clean and free from brass filings that will accumulate over time otherwise it turns into a grinding paste and produces excessive wear in a commercial environment)

it would be very interesting to know your TDS - im assuming it is at least 60ppm?

kind regards

reiss.
  • Many thanks Reiss.

I am planning to swap out to the silicone seals just to see how I get on with them.

I have attached the water report for the area, but I am not sure I understand what it says. Are you concerned of it being too soft? I am happy to do a hardness test on tap/filtered water. The water tank alarm definitely kicks in and doesn't malfunction.

Water201804MilngavieC3Last12Months.pdf
  • hi Paul

TDS does not appear to be given in the test results, but thats ok; i was only curious as to what your TDS might be and if the level probe is functioning reliably then its all good

kind regards

reiss,