This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Flushing group head to clean residue from previous shot

(Tried to post this question under the Londinium R (2012-2016) forum, but that category doesn’t pop up in the options listed when I select “new topic”? I’m baffled, so sorry if my question is in the wrong spot)

I am a new Londinium user, forgive the basic questions!

After each shot, is it ok to follow with partial flushes of the group head, instead of full flushes? (by partial flush, I mean just pulling the lever a quarter or so of the way down, rather than a full action pull to the bottom)
I find the group head temperature climbs dramatically if I do full lever flushes, whereas partial flushes keep the temperature somewhat closer to the temp of the last shot. (Partial flushes also save my filtered brew water.) I don’t know enough to know if these partial flushes play havoc with the way the machine operates in preparation for the next shots, so that is why I am asking. If partial flushes are a bad idea, please set me straight.

PS 
I am using an old version Londinium, one that came equipped with a thermometer on the group head. 

(I have been allowing the machine to warm up an hour on its own, without trying to speed things up with heating flushes. Is this the recommended method?)

Comments

• I always just do the tiniest of flushes. Most important is to hear the sound of air escaping, the little 'sneeze' one could call it, and then a little water through the shower screen to clean it.

No fully downward pull and gushing water needed.
  • Excellent! And, thank you for your help, Frans!
  • by small we mean 30-50mL