This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Steam leak

Hi Reiss,

I noticed a little hissing sound coming from my LR. Using a cardboard tube as a stethoscope I traced the steam leak to the nut on the boiler with the thin pipe for the pressure gauge. Idle time between heating is 28 seconds and from what I've read it should be longer.

Using wrenches and a hammer I removed the steam wand pipe to gain access to that area. That went smoothly. I tired tightening the nut with wrench and hammer. Reassembled steam want pipe. The steam leak was still there. Cooled the machine and disassembled again. This time I tired removing the nut with the pressure gauge pipe. It won't budge. Before trying greater and greater force I thought it would be wise to ask for advice.

Kind Regards,
Michael

Comments

• Hi Reiss,

I noticed a little hissing sound coming from my LR. Using a cardboard tube as a stethoscope I traced the steam leak to the nut on the boiler with the thin pipe for the pressure gauge. Idle time between heating is 28 seconds and from what I've read it should be longer.

Using wrenches and a hammer I removed the steam wand pipe to gain access to that area. That went smoothly. I tired tightening the nut with wrench and hammer. Reassembled steam want pipe. The steam leak was still there. Cooled the machine and disassembled again. This time I tired removing the nut with the pressure gauge pipe. It won't budge. Before trying greater and greater force I thought it would be wise to ask for advice.

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Attached files

• hi michael

your first 5 or 6 posts need to be manually approved, which is why this post didnt appear immediately

i think if you watch the video in the permanent file (it is also on page 2 or 3 of the News section) on how to install the digital preinfusion kit that gives you the very best understanding of how to remove and then re-secure any fittings mounted on the boiler and connecting items, in your case the pipe to the pressure gauge

it shows the careful use of a hammer and set spanner to create percussion shock to free the fittings, and later to re-secure them

the pipe to the gauge is of cause very fine and easily damaged, but the technique remains the same

let me know if i can be of further assistance

kind regards

reiss.
  • when you get the nut off you will find a small brass olive between the end of the pipe fitting and the boiler fitting; check to see if the olive is cracked
  • I watched the the digital preinfusion kit installation video. That was helpful. I did another attempt on my LR and successfully removed the nut with the thin pipe to the pressure gauge. It felt like the nut had pipe thread (compression fit) and needed firm force unscrewing it all the way. Thank you for help and I will continue working on it tomorrow morning.
    Michael
  • The olive (called a compression ferrule in the United States) and the washer seat for olive looks ok. No cracks. I thoroughly cleaned the threads, olive and pipe with alcohol swabs. I tired resembling the fitting again . This time tightened down with a more pressure at the end. Power the up the LR and it leaked even more steam when heated.

The compression fitting at the pressure gauge seals nicely with only a gentle twist.

Now that I've unscrewed and screwed the compression nut on boiler a few times it turns easier.

Ideas for the next steps. Should I try wrapping the olive and the olive washer seat with PTFE (teflon) tape? or Get a new pressure gauge pipe assembly?
  • hi michael

so the last time an issue occurred at this junction was in Nov 2012 and i have attached the images from that time for your benefit

if you are saying no sign of anything abnormal anywhere my next guess would be that the leak is between the copper pipe and the ferrule that is pressed/swaged onto the end of the pipe - if the leak is there is will never seal, regardless of how tight the fitting is screwed on

kind regards

reiss.
  • can you please email me michael, advising where you want me to send the replacement copper pipe and olive to/that your details are unchanged since i sent you the machine

kind regards

reiss.
  • Nothing like that failure. Just brass of the washer seat ferrule and the olive shaped ferrule have blacked/oxidized from the leaking steam.
  • I've emailed you about shipping details. I appreciate you sending out replacement parts. When I get them, we'll organize a quick Apple Facetime call for the installation. It should be an easy job. Compression fitting are like Goldilocks and they need to be just right for them to work - not too loose or not too tight.

Thank You,
    Michael
  • The replacement parts took a bit less then 2 days to ship from England to the United States.

I installed the new pipe and olives (ferrules) from the boiler to the pressure gauge. It took many progressive tighter adjustments of the compression fitting on the boiler and it finally sealed. I marked nut with sharpie marker so I could visually track the rotation progression. I was careful to tighten it just enough to seal and no more.

I'm happy to say the steam leak is now fixed. Silence except for the click of the Sirai presurestat. The idle heat cycle on my LR has gone from 28 seconds to 60 seconds.

I'm thankful for Londiniun's inside open layout. That made servicing by a non professional possible. In comparison I had an Italian designed and made double boiler espresso machine. Inside of that was a tight mess of pipes, wires and tubes. Any service work would have been very difficult and probably required sending it away.

Reiss, Thank you for your help!
  • hi michael

thank you for taking the time to report back

we are still on target to have the wireless (not bluetooth) control and app ready this month - agonisingly close now & the anticipation after 15 months of development is driving me up the wall

the hardware has been finalised for a while - just bug fixing the software now

in unrelated matters here is the very first point and shoot image i took with my iPhone 11 pro just now (unedited other than a crop); great to get a much better camera onboard