This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

L-R clunking noise with cleaning flush

Hello!

I received my L-R a couple of days ago and have been enjoying it so far. It is my first lever machine so forgive me if I'm unclear about something. I've been doing a cleaning flush after I finish pulling a shot and there seems to be a very loud clunking noise when I do this. At first, I thought it was related to releasing the lever but it seems that on a longer flush (like when I'm using my espazzola) the clunk happens near the end of my flush. It's quite unsettling as it's very loud but I don't have too much experience with lever to know if this a normal noise. I can try taking a video with sound later today to show it but I figured I would post to get some insight first to make sure I'm not just overreacting due to my unfamiliarity with lever machines.

Best,
Andy

Comments

• hi andy

yes if you can post a video here taken by a person different from the person operating the machine ideally (i.e. a wider angle shot that shows the entire machine, including all of the lever), that would be super

include the lights on the machine in the frame please as these provide a more complete picture of what is happening

kind regards

reiss
  • Hi Reiss,

I pulled a shot when I arrived home and then did my cleaning flush. No noise this time so I'm not sure what's up. I do recall that I took the tank off so that I could get some panels off in order to adjust the pre-infusion pressure. Perhaps that had something to do with the noise? I recall that I had experienced it first when I pulled my first shot. I took the tank off after the initial filling to adjust the panels. Perhaps removing the tank introduced some air into the system? I'll do another flush tomorrow after my morning shots for my GF and I and record in case it happens again.
  • I was able to reproduce this noise this morning after pulling my morning shots. The video is short and slightly shaky but I think it captures the information needed.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7WewgGA7YXaXLEP48
  • hi andrew

thanks for that

i believe that is the drip tray popping as the hot water lands in it

my expectation is that your drip tray is rocking on one diagonal or the other

i refer you to this post here in the permanent file for the details;

https://londiniumespresso.com/forum/permanent-file/927-does-your-drip-tray-rock

let me know how you get on

kind regards

reiss.
  • Hi Reiss,

You were spot on about my drip tray being ever so slightly bent. It took a couple tries but my 135lbs of weight was finally able to lean on it enough to flatten it out. Its a bit late now for some coffee but I'll give it another couple flushes in the morning and report back. My tray is definitely not wobbling anymore so hopefully this solves the issue.

Thanks!
    Andy
  • excellent, thanks for reporting back andrew
    kind regards
    reiss
  • Hi Reiss,

Just an update on things. I've done a couple days now since flattening the tray and there are still times where the tray makes a noise due to flexing. Not a big deal for me but its much much quieter now. Now that I know what's causing the noise, I'm no longer concerned about it. I'll probably continue tweaking the tray a bit to see if I can make the noise go away completely but thus far, it is much improved and only happens on occasion.

Thanks!
    Andy
  • find a friend who is a big lump and get him to lean on it for you; that will solve it completely, i assure you.