This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

A Blended Coffee out of the USA

Comments

• Shopping cart
    Product image Description Quantity Price
    House Roast: 100% Bolivian. Fully Washed AAA. Certified Fair Trade & Organic - 2 lbs. / Roastmaster's choice / Whole bean
    House Roast: 100% Bolivian. Fully Washed AAA. Certified Fair Trade & Organic
    2 lbs. / Roastmaster's choice / Whole bean
    1 $19.99
    86+ Find: Jacinto Titirico (Bolivia). Microlot Roast - 2 lbs. / Roastmaster's choice / Whole bean
    86+ Find: Jacinto Titirico (Bolivia). Microlot Roast
    1 $24.99
    86+ Find: Carolina Villalobos (Bolivia) Microlot Roast - 2 lbs. / Roastmaster's choice / Whole bean
    86+ Find: Carolina Villalobos (Bolivia) Microlot Roast
    1 $24.99
    86+ Find: Siete Estrellas Community Peaberry (Bolivia) Microlot Roast - 2 lbs. / Roastmaster's choice / Whole bean
    86+ Find: Siete Estrellas Community Peaberry (Bolivia) Microlot Roast
    1 $24.99
    86+ Find: Celso Mayta (Bolivia) Cafe Golondrina Microlot Roast - 2 lbs. / Roastmaster's choice / Whole bean
    86+ Find: Celso Mayta (Bolivia) Cafe Golondrina Microlot Roast
    1 $24.99
    Scroll for more items
    Cost summary
    Description Price
    Subtotal $119.95
    Shipping $103.56
    Total USD $223.51

order placed! i see they also offer these as green beans which may be of interest to some of you.

here is an interesting part of their story here; https://invalsacoffee.com/pages/about-bolivian-coffee

this is very much a blind google search for me, so lets see how it turns out; im desperate to get back into some top shelf bolivian coffee
  • as im likely to run out of coffee before the above arrives from the States, ive also ordered this coffee from the world famous in new zealand coffee roasters, Coffee Supreme; https://shopnz.coffeesupreme.com/collections/coffee/products/burundi-rubagabaga

it is labelled as filter but almost any coffee that isnt jet roasted in nz is labelled as filter as the general populace still like them dark and blended for espresso in nz

the LR can tame even the lightest filter roast and turn it into a magic espresso

updates when it arrives, probably weds

reiss.
  • Thanks Reiss for all your recipes.
  • I've got more; how about this filter roast

i met success with 6 bar of pre-infusion for about 15 seconds until the first drip with an 18g dose for a brew weight of around 30g

Attached files

• the Bolivians arrived today!

the first one i opened, for no particular reason, is the Jacinto Titirico

there is no easy way of saying this; it's a disappointment

rather flat and tired - the coffee lacks bite and character

it is definitely freshly roasted, the pack says it was roasted on 15 April 2019 and i believe that; there is lots of body and crema but it is just bland and nondescript

i have dialled it back to 1.8 bar of pre-infusion

if you like a coffee that tastes a bit like hot chocolate you'd probably like this - will happily be consumed by those who like to pile in the milk on top

lets hope the next bag is a step up

reiss.
  • its getting worse not better I'm afraid

ive wrestled with this and given up; its going in the bin. soot

once again the Tonino conveys the source of the problem with candour

• this one just as bad, and it hit the bin even faster:

i've had enough coffee for one day

i'll revisit the two remaining coffees that i have opened and dont appear to be as dark for tomorrow morning

hopefully one of them is a gem

reiss.
  • thank you for flagging that up Pawel as what ive got is not looking good

order placed:

Attached files

• so now we're onto the peaberry:

as you can see from Tonino #87 it is roasted lighter than the others, but anything roasted darker than Tonino #90 i no longer enjoy or recommend

for this bean i used a pre-infusion pressure of 1.0 bar and possibly should have dropped to 0.8 bar

a light tamp and it still took 30 seconds for the first drip to appear and an extraction time of 25 seconds

a kafatek max grind setting of circa 2.8-2.85

unfortunately from what i can taste the beans have quite a lot of potential but they have simply been roasted too dark to make any solid recommendation on them

its ok if you turn it into a flat white

one roast remains, but after about 8 extractions from the above im going to head out for a run and come back to evaluate the last roast this afternoon

reiss.
  • into number 5 of the quintet of disappointment, and its more of the same im afraid

quite possibly good coffee, but we'll never know as it has simply been roasted too dark

verdict: given away

better luck with our next global coffee adventure
  • Reiss Gunson post=15575 wrote: thank you for flagging that up Pawel as what ive got is not looking good

order placed:

I think you would be pleased if you like Bolivian coffees. The roasters knows theirs job, last one I had from them was Bolivia Finca Alasitas (I see it is no longer available), and it was very good, high quality, modern roast.
  • They've arrived!

i started with this one simply because it had the earliest roast date:

18g dose, 4.5 bar of pi and we get this:

• ive turned the wick up to 5.5 bar of pre infusion and what i have here is a collection of fantastic bolivian coffees

as with all light bright roasts i like to draw the flavour out by using very high inlet temperatures (which is what our high pre infusion pressures deliver) and run the grind slightly coarser so the flow rate stays high

doing this ensures you taste a clean representation of the coffee; slowing down the flow rate to more conventional 1g/s distorts the flavour profile in these light roasts in my view

more to follow.
  • this is my favourite: the first shot and its good - a little bit less pre infusion pressure, this shot is 6 bar, and it will be superb. 18g dose.

• i forgot to mention, pre-infusion pressure of 5.5 bar on an 18g dose gives you a brew weight of 80g (150mL cup shown below):

• So what is the ratio/brewed coffee weight you aim to achieve using those cinnamon roasted coffees?
    Is this the 80 grams out of 18, or this was just a test to show what is the maximum wight you can get with machine?
    I usually aim for 2.5:1 ratio (18g -> 45g).

I am glad you enjoy Coffee Collective coffees. Did you try the Geisha or not yet?
  • hi pawel

for me personally i like 2:1, in the case of the Buena Vista a 20g dose to produce a brew weight of 40g

but there is a school of thought on homebarista that they like to take every last drop of a light roast, so i thought it was interesting to point out that at high preinfusion pressures our lever machines will give you a 80g brew weight

note that as with all these kind of statements i make i mean it delivers 80g without any trickery

you pull the lever down, you wait for the first drip to fall in the cup and you release the lever and you get 80g of coffee in the cup

no second pulls or half pulls or any other convoluted nonsense

ive tried the geisha but i dont think is at its best as an espresso really - its a mismatch. i will probably give it away to someone who drinks filter
  • Reiss Gunson post=15600 wrote:

ive tried the geisha but i dont think is at its best as an espresso really - its a mismatch. i will probably give it away to someone who drinks filter
    If you won't find someone local, I am happy to pay the delivery cost back to Europe:)
  • ha! yes. im onto this one now and i enjoy it at least as much as the first:

• if you haven't tasted a good bolivian coffee and are wondering if it is for you, then the taste profile i would assign to it is passionfruit

it has the same sharp tang as passionfruit, but also the fruit sweetness supporting in the background

if you get these good examples i think it is one of the absolute best single origins - it is a very clean and very vibrant, tropical taste

incredible coffee.
  • Ok, I need to order 1 kg next week.
    Out of those 3 which one would you recommend to have a decent espresso cup using standard LR pre-infussions (3,5 bar).
  • Hi Pawel

I like the Catuai but it is such a light roast that i think you'll really struggle without the PI kit - i am running mine at 6+1 bar, so twice the 3.5 bar setting of the Mater

I think the Buena Vista is the one for you

kind regards

reiss.
  • Can’t he just raise the lever to the catch point, which will put about 6 bar pressure on the PI column of water?
  • It will indeed, but that isn’t what the LR does.
  • Hi Reiss :)

I can’t recall if you have had any Bonanza beans yet. I understand they roast as 'light as possible'

https://bonanzacoffee.de/wordpress/product-category/coffee/

Forgive me if you have already mentioned them :)
  • Bonanza used to roast light. Nowadays you don't really know what you get until you open the bag. In fact, most well known German roasters are a bit more towards medium light.

I'd stick with the scandinavians for light roasts. Da Matteo of Sweden are pretty well regarded among light roast enthusiasts.
  • so last night i finished up the last of the Catuai as an affogato and the result was superb. the tropical flavour of this coffee combined beautifully with the ice cream to produce a very clean crisp affogato. highly recommended.
  • next up is the fincas los rodriguez

from the moment you open the bag you get a welcome strawberry aroma wafting around

this coffee does not need to be ground as fine as the catuai does

this coffee exhibits extreme acidity, but one that i personally like less than the catuai which i can most easily describe as passionfruit in taste, whereas this has a strawberry aroma but it is not strawberry to taste. after the initial sting of acidity this coffee then exhibits cocoa/chocolate notes after it has been in your mouth for a while, so it is definitely a very interesting coffee with lots going on in the cup; highly complex

no doubt we'll improve the extraction with practice. this coffee was roasted on 17 April 2019 and it is definitely tasting better now than when we first received it and pulled a couple of test shots; it was off the scale back then, it is still extremely lively today and better for a little age to take the extreme edge off it

reiss.