This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Leaking

Hi all,
My 2016 machine has started leaking pretty bad. First I noticed a little water under the machine and I ignored it, so two weeks later a lot more water came from under the machine. It also was beeping because the pump had been running for too long. After inspection it tuned out the anti-vac was letting water through so I replaced it. This did not help: the new valve also leaks and I can also see some water coming through the overpressure valve.

Now this could be a coincidence, but I guess something else is going on.

Could it be that the boiler is overfilling (more than the 2/3 I expect it should do), causing water to escape instead of air during warming up?
So my questions would be: can this be the case, can I test this and if so, how to remedy?

Thanks in advance,
Mattijs

Comments

• The water level sensor might need to be cleaned (or replaced) as it seems the machine assumes the boiler is not sufficiently full, therefore adding water to the boiler.

If I remember correctly, Reiss has documented on the forum how to check / fix this. If you can't find his post, no doubt he will shortly point out where it is.
  • Hi Mattijs

Your machine is over filling

Assuming the composition of your water has not changed, cleaning the lever probe on the top of the boiler towards the right hand end (with the yellow wire running off it) should fix things for you

Unplug the machine from the electrical supply at the wall from the socket/outlet

You will see the level probe is mounted into the boiler with two nuts; under the larger nut with a 17mm spanner/wrench from memory and use a hammer to strike the wrench loose as with all fittings mounted on the boiler - please ask me if this approach is not familiar as it is important

Clean the lever probe with a descaling solution rather than something abrasive as you do not want to scratch the surface of the probe as it merely gives any scaling compounds in the water an easier surface to key on in future

Refit level probe using hammer to strike spanner until the spanner hardly moves when struck by the hammer - please ask me now if this technique is unfamiliar

You now need to drop to water level in the boiler to the correct level

Lock wenge hot water valve on machine into the open position and leave it open, placing a large mug or measuring container that has a handle on it and is designed to safely hold boiling hot water as you will need to carry it to the sink to empty it shortly

Plug machine in and turn on

Place a towel under the machine as water will push out the anti vac valve until it closes, at which point all the water will come out the hot water tap

Allow water to exit the hot water tap until the blue light on the front panel turns on, then close hot water tap

Pump should turn on when blue light illuminates and fill the boiler to the correct level

If it floods again the assumption would be that your water is too soft for the level probe to function reliably, or you have the level probe pulled up too high (it should be pushed in as far as it can go, ie to the right angle bend in the probe)

Kind regards

Reiss
  • Thanks Reiss for the extensive information.

This was interesting:
    first of all: I use a Brita filter (a can) and I did change some months ago from the standard Brita filters to a more cost effective alternative called 'Ice Pure'. I did not measure the hardness but there could be a change. Maybe adding some unfiltered water with each fill-up would help but I will make some measurements.
    secondly: I removed the sensor and it looked all right. I did put it in a descaling solution for some time to be sure.
    But most interesting is your remark about the depth (height) of the probe: in my case the probe was pulled up fully, just leaving 2 mm protruding from the white insulation. At the top the wire and screw terminal were routed over the small diameter tube routed to the gauge, so it must have been like this from the start.
    I've pushed the probe almost all the way in (protruding 41mm from the insulation now) so the boiler should not fill nearly as much.

Back to testing (and coffee drinking) now. Thanks.
  • Hi Mattijs

Thank you for reporting back, it’s always interesting

Kind regards

Reiss