This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Loose flick valve

The long metal valve that carries the steam arm and toggle switch has worked loose a few times. I’ve tightend the nut inside the case that holds it in place but the fix doesn’t last long. Should I use a thread locker?
Thanks,
Matt

Comments

• hi matt, you could resort to that but an engineer wouldn't really approve

i think all you need to do is use correctly fitting tools (no adjustable wrenches/spanners please) and a bit more grunt

you need to fit a 25mm set spanner to the base of the valve, like this;

before placing any tools inside the machine be sure to unplug the machine from the electrical socket, particularly so in this case as you are working right beside the on/off switch

then you need a second 25mm spanner to place on the nut on the inside, here;

but the proper way to do it would be to remove the copper pipe (shown in the image above) that connects to the back of the valve (at both ends, the boiler end too) then use a 25mm socket, or a 25mm ring spanner, to tighten the nut on the back of the valve

then refit the copper pipe

today tools are quite inexpensive to buy and once you have them, you have them for life
  • Thanks, Reiss. I'll try the socket wrench route. Is there anything I need to know about disconnecting the copper pipe?
  • hi matt
    again, use a set spanner, not an adjustable - i think it is a 17mm you need for that nut
    then strike the end of the 17mm spanner with a hammer to shock it loose
    do the same when you come to tighten it back up; this is especially important on the boiler end of the fitting
    it might be counter-intuitive but just pulling harder and harder on the end of the spanner by hand is what twists boilers
    striking the end of the spanner with a hammer, even quite hard, will not twist a boiler
    plan on doing the nut up with the spanner until it comes up snug without any heaving on the spanner
    then strike the end of the spanner once with the hammer and the spanner will usually present so little resistance it will fly out of your hand if you are not expecting it
    the second strike of the spanner with the hammer will cause you to feel the nut coming up tight on the mating thread
    the third strike of the spanner it is only like to turn perhaps 1/16th of a turn and that tells you to stop
    if it only turns that much and you hit it a fourth time you run the risk of bursting the threads
    its less intimidating than it sounds - with the information above you will not get into trouble
    reiss.