This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

New Londinium IMS Shower Screen

if you didn't know, Reiss has been working on a modified version of the IMS 35uM shower screen, and they are now up on the site for purchase!

https://londiniumespresso.com/store/accessories/ims-35um-shower-screen

Reiss was kind enough to share an early prototype with me as I was having some issues with channeling from the initial water pressure. Here is a photo of the two side by side so you can see the difference in build. Reiss's version has more holes in the center than the stock version.

I tested this as much as I could side by side with the original 35um, and did notice improvement in my extractions. I was able to get more consistent pre-infusion behavior and more single, unified streams with lower doses. I am using a 18g VST & Monolith Flat and I've always had to dose up around 19g to get better extractions, especially with lighter roasts. Now, I can dose around 18.5 and follow Reiss's workflow of around 12-15s of PI before the first drop hits the cup and then letting the lever release.

Please keep in mind that this is not an end all be all answer. You still need to make sure to be consistent with your WTD, tamp and overall prep or consistency will be hard to obtain!

Attached files

Comments

• thanks for posting dan - that was a long time ago! apologies for taking so long to get these to market. reiss.
  • So is this the same shower screen as say august 2017 on the webpage (30 um ims shower screen)?
  • hi nico

the londinium screen uses the same 35 micron mesh, but the stainless former that sits behind the mesh to support it has more holes drilled in the centre to promote flow through the centre of the puck

best

reiss.
  • Looks nice, and those additional holes in the center makes perfect sense.
    Cannot wait to try the new shower screen.
  • It really looks great and makes sense to have. Glad to see that lever optimised equipment is coming to the market. Sad though that shipping to Germany is way more then the item itself. I will probably wait for a longer list to order.
  • Hello Reiss, got a little confused by the different screens - did i understand right: there are now 3-4? types of screens out:
    - the standard londinium R - Screen which is the 200um screen?
    - the 35um screen old version (no holes in the center)
    - the 35 um screen new version with holes in the center
  • hi christian

happily you can mount any screen that is intended for use on an E61 group

the group is supplied by the group manufacturer with a generic mesh shower screen

we have then spoken of a number of screens from IMS, namely one of their 200 micron screens, one of their 35 micron screens, etc

the IMS 35 micron screen that is currently in our web store simply has extra holes added in the centre of the former that lies behind the mesh to give the screen some strength & rigidity

these extra holes in the centre of the former reduce the chances of a donut shaped extraction by promoting flow through the centre of the puck

best

reiss
  • I installed the new shower screen today, to replace the previous IMS 35micron mesh screen one that I had been using. An initial flush to examine the flow was very satisfying: even, full, gentle, just what you want to see. Thank you Reiss for your continuing innovations and improvements in your line of lever machines. It's much appreciated.

Matt
  • Matthew Hoffman post=14715 wrote: An initial flush to examine the flow was very satisfying: even, full, gentle, just what you want to see. Thank you Reiss for your continuing innovations and improvements in your line of lever machines. It's much appreciated.

Matt

I can concur to that with the addition that it solved the popping out of the normal 35 µm mesh which I sometimes had. Thanks Reiss!

• Hi Nico

Thanks for the post. Please be aware that the new screen will pop out just as happily as the stock 35 micron screen if you allow it to become fouled with silicone grease and/or coffee silt; clogging of the fine screen produces pressure above the screen and this is what causes it to pop off

The remedy when this occurs is to clean the screen by standing it overnight in acetone or a citrus solvent if prefer something less aggressive - place out of reach of children and away from naked flame and spark and all the other usual caveats that go with leaving potential hazards lying around for a period of time

Using a coffee detergent will not dissolve silicone grease

Kind regards

Reiss.
  • just gotten the shower screen. It is slightly flatter than the normal 35wm with reduced height of around ~0.5mm