This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Combating very soft water (very slight yellowish water out of group)

Recently gotten my LR , i ran it with tap water in filter fitted water tank and pulled plain water with very slight yellowish colour. i consulted reiss about it and he said it might be the water been too soft and became acidic, didnt know SG tap water can be this soft and those fish keeping folk here are complaining it been too hard. Is it possible for me to add baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) as a ph buffer to combat the acidic situation?

Comments

• Hi lee
    Why not add the link you sent me that provides the profile for your water?

I seem to recall an alkalinity value of 18ppm average and a range that started at 6 or 8ppm

This isn’t a subjective ‘Reiss said’ issue, this is an objective water chemistry issue

Kind regards

Reiss
  • https://www.pub.gov.sg/Documents/Singapore_Drinking_Water_Quality.pdf

pH Value Units - 7.7-8.3
    Total Dissolved Solid mg/L - 74-263
    Chlorine Note(3) mg/L - 2.00 - 2.98
    Monochloramine Note(4) mg/L - 1.60-2.95
    Total Alkalinity (as CaCO3) mg/L -5 - 47
    Total Hardness (as CaCO3) mg/L - 35 - 138
    Chloride mg/L - 6 - 65
  • Lee Junming post=14477 wrote: Recently gotten my LR , i ran it with tap water in filter fitted water tank and pulled plain water with very slight yellowish colour. i consulted reiss about it and he said it might be the water been too soft and became acidic, didnt know SG tap water can be this soft and those fish keeping folk here are complaining it been too hard. Is it possible for me to add baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) as a ph buffer to combat the acidic situation?

yes you can add baking soda; give it a good stir to mix it in

i also recommend some serious flushing - there is always some water left in the machines from testing at the factory, and you can never be sure how it is going to react with your water. you have also had the BWT softening cartridge in place initially and now removed it as it was softening unnecessarily, so the effect of this also needs to be flushed through

let us know how you get on

there are other machine owners in Singapore, we would be interested to hear what water you are using in your machines

best

reiss.
  • looking at your water profile on a larger screen just now, i think you have great water. i will be surprised if a good flush does not resolve matters, without the need for any additives

you have high TDS (good), yet low levels of scaling compounds (good), and the water is slightly alkaline (good) and not high in chlorine or other contaminants

the more i look at your water profile the less i think you have a major issue

there is an interesting table of reactivity with copper plumbing here; https://copperplumbing.org.uk/sites/default/files/content_attachments/guide-to-suitability-with-chemicals.pdf

i will be most surprised if it doesnt flush clear

let us know how you get on

reiss.
  • I'm still getting similar water as before even after flushing about 3L of water with ph buffer added , Matt Perger's recipe but only baking soda was added. I have also noticed the water has a slight loxeal taste so loxeal can also be the cause of the yellowish.

i will be getting ph meter next week , just to be sure.
  • for the avoidance of doubt Loxeal can not cause discolouration of the water

what may be happening is the loxeal is trapping coffee grounds in it and the coffee grounds will cause the discolouration

unplug the machine

remove the shower screen

pump the lever 40 times to drive any excess loxeal to the bottom of the sleeve

wipe the excess off with a paper towel or rag

use a citrus solvent to dissolve the loxeal from the shower screen

refit shower screen

that i think is the source of the discolouration: coffee grounds trapped in the excess loxeal

reiss.
  • tasted a glob of loxeal , its tasteless , and tasted the water tank water , water taste . Meaning something is leeching from the internal to the water.
  • Lee Junming post=14484 wrote: I'm still getting similar water as before even after flushing about 3L of water

I'd flush more water than that since you're not flushing it out like you would a toilet, but rather diluting it very gradually.

If you throw out the contents of a wine glass and rinse it 3 times, all wine color will be gone from the glass.

On the other hand If you take a gulp, then add water to the wine in the glass and take another big gulp, then filling it up again, etcetera, you will need more water before you see the wine color disappear.

So whatever it was that looked 'yellowish' to you I am confident you will lose it but not with just a few flushes. The brew group will clear up first, then later the boiler water as well. No cause for worry, just cause for being practical.
  • hmmm ic but just now i have pulled some water out of group and the colour of the water was much deeper yellow than previously. The machine was left on for maybe 2-3hrs straight , untouched, group was cleaned with espazzola and im still using water with ph buffer.
  • hmmm ic but just now i have pulled some water out of group and the colour of the water was much deeper yellow than previously. The machine was left on for maybe 2-3hrs straight , untouched, group was cleaned with espazzola and im still using water with ph buffer.
  • I managed to bought litmus paper and tested the water in tank and after group. The ph in tank was ~7.5 and after group was ~8 with machine in standby for 4 hrs, im still getting that yellowish color and weird plastic smell. Piston was took out of group and it has a strong plastic and rubbery smell. So i decided to remove the seal from the piston and give them both a wash and soak in vinegar. Assembled and lubricated the piston and tmrl will see how it goes.

Abit shocked to black lubricant grease underneath the seal and the towel was black when i wiped the piston with it.
  • Litmus paper is, in my experience, not very precise. Can you post pictures of what exactly you used?

Do you have the option to use bottled water of the correct value?
  • Lee Junming post=14520 wrote: https://cniunion.m.ec21.com/mobile/productDetail.jsp?productId=4685936&group_id=4685891&product_id=4685936

Can try volvic but its exp here.

all this experimenting and worrying is expensive too