This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

The old wet puck thing

L1/new -type group seals/IMS screen and basket
18.5 grams bean
I pre-infuse until it drips and pull shot with 27-30 second target
Lever usually catches around 45 degrees
Recently pucks are wet/soupy
Don't know what to try.

Any suggestions would be appreciated....

Comments

• Ron Sanders post=14284 wrote: L1/new -type group seals

What L1 do you have. Is it the big commercial machine with pre-infusion of line pressure or the older version of what is the L-R now with pre-infusion at boiler pressure?
    Ron Sanders post=14284 wrote: 18.5 grams bean

In an 18g basket I assume? How fresh are the beans? Dark/ light roast?
    Ron Sanders post=14284 wrote: I pre-infuse until it drips and pull shot with 27-30 second target

You say the intention was 30g espresso in almost 30s, right? Is that also what you got?
    Ron Sanders post=14284 wrote: Recently pucks are wet/soupy

Is that a problem for you? Is the espresso okay?

How long after pulling away the cup to drink it, do you wait before you take off the portafilter?
  • It is the old original L1 Luxe...should have posted in the other forum I guess...maybe Reiss can move it
    I guess it is the 18 g basket..
    Beans 2 weeks from roast
    I'll weigh the output
    Shots are...ok
    Just never had soupy pucks before
  • You say the espresso is good enough but the puck is wet.

So in terms of delicious shot there's no issue.

The puck is there to throw away so how it looks is also not a problem ;-)

My guess it's this specific bean. It might have been roasted faster or lighter or both, needing a finer grind and the remaining air pressure above the puck after preparing your shot is not big enough to push the last water drops out through the dense puck and leave a dry puck. Some of the last grams of thin coffee water that normally would fall into the drip tray are now still in the puck, being harmless all the same.
  • Sounds very plausible Frans. I'm going to reduce the beans to 18 g and play with grind a little.

Cheers
  • hi ron
    how long after the lever stops moving are you releasing the lever?
    if you pull the PF immediately it is going to be soggy every time
    if you pull the PF 30s after the shot completes it should be dry; if it is still soggy the dose is too high/grind too fine
    kind regards
    reiss.
  • My first guess would point to the bean as I've recently gone through exactly the same thing. Been getting the same beans for the past few months and have had crisp dry pucks but the last batch was a lot sloppier. Made for a messy knock box but didn't seem to have a noticeable impact on the taste.
  • To round this off...pretty sure it
    was the beans. I have been using different ones and the wet pucks are pretty much gone.
  • good. thanks for reporting ron.