This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Londinium R in Warsaw

Good morning,

This is my first week with Londinium R.
This is really amazing machine. From first shots, I have best espresso shots ever.
I use LR together with Compak K10 WBC, looks like good match.

Right now I have pretty light roasted coffees from La Cabra, so I am using 20g VST basket not the OEM one. With 3,0 bar pre-infusion, this machine can easily deliver perfect shots even for higher dose.

What is really uprising, is that even when I was calibrating grinder for new coffees, even if the extraction was bit too quick, or bit to slow - the espresso always taste good, looks like it is not possible to have a bad shoot with LR. I do not know who you did it, but this is magic :)

My routine?
Very easy!
Start LR automatically early in the morning.
One hour to heat up.
Grind directory to PF, then use funnel and LDT for quick WDT.
A bit of steam 2s, wait for the red light to go off, fix the PF and pull the lever down.
7-10 second for pre-infusion (first drop in the cup) and the move lever up.
And then just look in silence for the espresso to complete.
I go now for around 50g of coffee in the cup with 20g dose.

The only thing right now I am struggling a bit is how to finish the shot when I want to. For now I just take the cup and scale, but it make a bit of mess if I am not very careful. Any tips here from more experienced users?

So now I know, that this is my espresso machine. The search is over. Thank you Londinium.

Comments

• hi pawel

if you click 'insert' i think the button is called it will embed your image into the post in full size so people can see the image, rather than just the thumbnail

im pleased to hear that you are enjoying your machine

kind regards

reiss.
  • As a try to understand the machine better.
    When I pull the lever down I start the pre-infussion.

I know by default we have 3,0 bars set. First I hear the voice of rotary pump, then only silence. My questions:
    - Is water pump onto coffee puck only when we hear the noise of the pump? If yes how much water is pump onto the coffee puck?
    - Or the longer we keep the lever down the more water lands onto coffee puck with pressure of 3 bars (even I hear nothing)?

Thanks in advance. I just want to understand how this beautiful machine works. I am still amazed how good espresso tastes with this lever machine.

Pawel
  • hi pawel

its very simple. conceptually the LR is mimicking the L1/2/3 but without the need to plumb to the water supply

so the rotary pump in the LR is simply trying to present water against the coffee puck at 3 bar - if the secondary pressure switch detects a drop in the pressure it switches the pump on to restore pressure to 3 bar

so as you can see it is identical to the L1/2/3 in that the water is constantly being pushed down on the puck at 3 bar

if the coffee in the puck is ground too coarse, or there is insufficient coffee, the water at 3 bar will be able to force its way through the puck and you will know if this is occurring because coffee will run out the bottom of the puck and the pump will start turning on and off, on and off, constantly lifting the pressure of the water above the puck back up to 3 bar

so it is critically important to wait for the first drip in the cup before releasing the lever otherwise you have no indication as to whether your grind and dose is correct. for an 18g dose of a modern fairly light roast we would suggest a grind such that the first drip falls at about 7 seconds after the pump has turned off after you pull the lever down (i.e. 7 seconds after the pump has brought the pre-infusion pressure up to 3 bar once you pull the lever down)

kind regards

reiss.
  • Thank you Reiss. This is clear for me now.

Next step, next question. The speed how we operate the lever. Any advice here?
    How fast to pull the lever down for pre-infusio, how fast we move up after the preinfusion is done? Are there any suggestion here, or just common sense and natural movement?
  • hi pawel

i like your words better than any; "just common sense and natural movement"

i think that describes what is needed perfectly

kind regards

reiss.