This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Londinium R - User Manual clarification

Hello,

I just put and order for LR (so happy :)) and now I ma reading User Manual. Thanks for version 1.3, with the pictures it is much easier to understand.
However I still have some questions, probably because I am not native English speaker.

1. Check the piston seals and the internal bore of the group have a good covering of gease and are free from any debris that may have found its way on the grease during transport

Pistol seal - I assume those are the black rings?
So first I assume we make the, clean and dry using soft cloth, and then we use - Loxeal No.4 silicone grease? And the grease should go directly onto the pistol seals or like in Frans video we put the grease inside the bore (using finger from top and form the bottom)? Or we do both?

2. GENTLY lower the group top in to the group body, until the bottom seal on the piston touches the inner bore of the group body,
then gently rotate (do not spin) the group top around its centreline, whilst lowering the group top. This method ensures that the grease is worked into the seals ensuring correct operation.

Do not spin, it means we do not do full circles (360 degrees?). So we do this as in Franse video, or we do it slightly diffrent? Frans mentioned he will need to redo this, so maybe it was not perfect fit?
Or we turn it - like here: ?

And we have to move the lever 30 times to remove grease excess as per video?

3. Fit the sealing ring to the bottom of the water tank as shown. Follow the instructions supplied with the filter-softener then fit the filter to the sealing ring as shown, gently push the filter on to the sealing ring, the filter will hold itself in place

If I do not use the filter, should I still use the sealing ring? Or i can leave water tank as it is?

Is the Low water alarm modification still recommended?

4. Open the steam valve for a second or two to vent a small amount of steam
Is this needed only if we want to steam milk, or every time after machine was turned on?

Pawel

Comments

• hi Pawel

i dont endorse the video that you have referenced above

please refer to the three clips in the permanent file which detail every conceivable step in painful detail;

https://londiniumespresso.com/forum/permanent-file/743-video-changing-the-piston-and-portafilter-seals

dont over think it - you wont have any trouble with the LR, just follow the instruction manual and have a flick through the permanent file whilst you await the arrival of your machine

the reason for pumping the lever 30 times before fitting the shower screen is to drive any excess silicone grease to the bottom of the bore where you can wipe it off before fitting the shower screen

otherwise the excess grease will gradually work its way down into the shower screen, clogging parts of it, which then produces dead zones in the shower screen where the holes in the screen are clogged with grease and as a result produces accelerated rates of flow in the unclogged areas of the screen which is likely to be detrimental to achieving an even extraction across the entire surface area of the puck

kind regards

reiss.