This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Basket of choice for the R ?

Hey guys,

I'm wondering what L-R users have tried for baskets, brands, sizes and what you like best? I would use a 18g if I bought another one and using lighter roasted beans. Are most sticking with stock basket, using 16-18g?

Thanks,

Roger

Comments

• hi roger

the beauty of a 58mm group is you have a vast array of baskets at your disposal

err on the side of a slightly larger basket with this group as it likes a little more headroom between the shower screen and the puck

ive got some new IMS baskets on order for january

best

reiss.
  • right, thanks.

Just wondering since the stock baskets are 16g correct? Fitting 17.5g in them seems tight even with a fine grind. I can sometimes see the screen impression on the dry puck. I was considering an 18g ridgeless VST.

Roger
  • well i would say the stock baskets are nominal 16g baskets; if you are grinding fine enough youll get 18g in and it wont touch if the need arises

but yes, an 18g VST undoubtedly is a bigger basket and a good choice

the top of the puck should definitely not touch the shower screen when dry, but do not confuse this with an impression on the puck after the shot has been pulled; you will get this becuase the puck floats when the water comes in, until you release the lever and it drives the puck down

reiss.
  • Hi Reiss,

what baskets will you get for the shop? Is there a size and hole type you prefer (N vs E)? What about ridgeless? Did you try the IMS Superfine yet? It is quite hard to obtain reliable information on this topic and it would be great to hear what experiances you and other Londinium users have collected over the time with different (precision) baskets.

Also I saw that the Londinium Butoon Tamper was once available with a cylindrical metal base in an older tamper post. Why did you change it to a trapez? For me it seems harder to tamp evenly because of the missing alignment from the longer cylinder of the tamper base against the basket.

Sorry for the many questions, but this is currently my main concern regarding espresso.
  • hi nico

they will definitely be ridge less - ridged baskets are for commercial operations where the baristas keep knocking the baskets out into the knock box and cafe owners become tired of buying replacement baskets, but in a domestic setting they are not needed

ive not tried the superfine baskets yet - it will be interesting to do that one day

you are correct about the current londinium tamper being more difficult to tamp lever with than the original cylindrical design but i made the change to stop the tamper binding in the basket as our tampers are 58.55mm

the key thing that will improve the quality and consistency of your espresso is the distribution tool - any flat snug fitting object will suffice for tamping; tampers are vastly over rated in terms of their impact on the espresso in my view; if anything represents 'barista bling' it is surely the tamper

kind regards

reiss.
  • Reiss,

Did you mention you will be receiving some new VST baskets early '18? If so, are they are different size or what is different than the 18g ridgeless you stock now?
    Regards,
  • If I recall correctly they will be IMS baskets
  • yes, that's right frans, they will be IMS baskets. roll on january!
  • So the new Londinium IMS baskets are available and I noticed that you went for the flat bottom ones. Did you compare them to the convex bottomed and found them better or does it, just like having a flat tamper Base for a flat shower screen, make more sense extraction wise (water path)?

I got several ims baskets and noticed that only the ones with a rim knock out very easily. Accidentally these are also with a flat bottom so maybe the coffee grounds better stick to the curve? Just a wild theory.

Taste wise I couldn't compare directly because of different sizes, holes, etc.
  • hi nico

yes i have the convex baskets from IMS for some years - these flat base, vertical side baskets are an improvement and i dare say they may have drawn inspiration from VST

in moving from an 18g ridge less VST i have no hesitation in saying that for the super light nordic style roasts the IMS baskets we are now selling give a significant improvement in taste

the super light roasts are relatively insoluble so a bigger dose is needed to ensure your coffee machines the tasting notes of the green been merchant, in our case nordic approach

this new IMS basket allows us to dose 22g with plenty of headspace remaining

the increased dosed has replaced the 'wooden' taste with the sweet yellow stone fruit notes that should be there

best

reiss.