This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Lever slipping?

Hello to all. I have an L1 and it is going on 3 years old. The only maintenance I have done is replace the group head to portafilter gasket. I have noticed a bit of a slip when I let go of the lever and now when I pull the first shot of the day when I let the lever go it slips almost to the top only pulling a few drops then I have to pull it again and it works fine. On the second cup it does fine. Any thoughts? Do I need to replace the gaskets in the lever?
Thanks
Gene

Comments

• I went ahead and ordered the gaskets for the group head.
    Will update when installed. Can someone please link me to the video?
    Thanks
  • hi gene

new piston seals will fix it; thank you for your order

you can find the instructional video here; https://londiniumespresso.com/forum/permanent-file/743-video-changing-the-piston-and-portafilter-seals

you will need to be logged in to access it

kind regards

reiss.
  • Thanks Reiss.. As always, your prompt attention is appreciated.. The L1 is still cranking out great shots.....
  • Reiss, I just got the parts yesterday. Will work on this wknd. I'll let you know.
    Thanks,
    Gene
  • Reiss, got everything fixed. Working great. No slips, no leaks, and great pressure. How often do you recommend checking/re-greasing those seals?
    Thanks again,
    Gene
  • when they leak gene

it is an unfortunate legacy of well intended comments posted here and elsewhere in the dim and distant past that you should check or otherwise meddle with it as often as possible, as one might with a pet or other animal

'if it aint broke dont fix it' is a rule that has served me well with all things mechanical

the issue is that with time the heat hardens the seals and whilst they will continue to function for a long time in that state if you leave them undisturbed, if you remove the group top and then put it back in there is a good chance that the hardened seals will then not seal properly

so my advice is that you leave it well alone until it leaks; indeed the group manufacture has even gone to the trouble of putting a 4mm drain hole in the back of the group top forging specifically so you can see when the group seals are leaking so water starts dribbling down the outside of the group (at this point it is important that you change the seals)

in my experience with my machine on a timer from 5am until 9pm 7 days a week is it will be more than 12 months before this occurs

if the lever feels 'draggy' out beyond 12 months and I'm struggling to fill my day in, i will change the piston seals, not because they are leaking but because it is nice to feel the piston gliding up and down in the bore (but i would never pull the piston top out at that point thinking I'm going to resolve the situation by adding a bit of grease - ill simply end up doing the job twice)

kind regards

reiss.
  • Great advice. Thank you
  • It's great that I stumbled upon this thread @Gene Flyn @Reiss Gunson as I'm having similar issues with my L1. Once I pull the lever down and release slowly up I find that the biting point is way higher than usual which leaves me with a short volume of espresso, slipping of the lever also occurs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • hello martin
    when did you last replace the piston seals in your machine?
    im assuming it is an L1(2012-16)
    kind regards
    reiss.
  • Hi Reiss

That I don't know, this was a purchase from Dave(CoffeeChap) on the coffee forum UK. I'm thinking it's the original seals from new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Martin, mine cleared up after I replaced the seals. Works like new... Hope this helps.
    Gene
  • Reiss Gunson post=14316 wrote: hello martin
    when did you last replace the piston seals in your machine?
    im assuming it is an L1(2012-16)
    kind regards
    reiss.

Hi Reiss

This is an L1 purchased second hand from coffee forum member CoffeeChap, I'm sure you know him, I don't know the exact year but it is an earlier model.

Regards
    Martin

• Gene Flynn post=14321 wrote: Martin, mine cleared up after I replaced the seals. Works like new... Hope this helps.
    Gene

Thanks Gene I'm quite sure new seals will solve the problem