This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Introducing the Smart Tamper

The challenge of ensuring the puck is consistently pressured has produced a number of tools. Some prices in the hundred of dollars, some consuming bench top space and many that are designed for pump machines where up 30 lbs (15kg) of pressure is required.

Enter the Smart Tamper from Pittsburgh, PA. https://mgcoffeetools.com

DHL delivered to day just in time for my morning coffee. While you can tamp as heavy as you like, I choose about 5kg. With my L1, an LDT, an E10 and Reiss's Columbian beans, my extraction was 20sec pre-infusion of 18gm in a VST 18gm basket producing 28gm in 30s. A single cone was established at about 8s so it was a little longer than I would like. I now have the tool that provides the same measured tamper pressure from shot to shot and the freedom to adjust one factor at a time.

This photo shows the tool with about 7kg pressure being applied. It is easy to use.

Attached files

image image

Comments

• Nice thing.
    Ordered one.
  • Interesting why are people tamping less than they used to, I was always told 37 lb was the right number ?
  • 37lb is ok for a pump machine infusing at 9 bar.

I have an L1 which infuses at boiler pressure, about 1.4 bar. The LR infusion is via a pump and the pressure can be adjusted. The LR is initially set at 3 bar for infusion.

Lever machines rely on proper infusion to saturate the grinds and then the spring level begins to push with its initial 9 bar pressure. If tamping is too heavy, part of the action of the spring at 9 bar is taken up with just get water into the puck. The result will be under extraction with issues such as channelling.