This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Portafilter Gasket - Reseating post replacement

Changed the piston seals, the screen , and portafilter gasket this evening.

(All using the provided parts in the L1 maintenance kit.)

Stupid question, but I'll ask it before applying more force…

Can't seem to get the screen and gasket to seal completely - any hints?

Putting the screen in first, than adding the gasket and pressing up with a dull edge, never to seems to fully seat.

Thanks!
Mark

Comments

• I take the basket out of the PF and then lock in the PF and turn it as far as it goes to reseat the shower screen
  • There is a top and a bottom to that seal. Notice the slight bevel on one side and put it up toward the Group.

I heat the seal in very hot water. Apply a thin layer of lube to it. Start the seal onto the bottom of the Group with your fingers. I then use a clean smooth PF WITHOUT basket and insert it up under the Group and push up with both hands evenly on either side of the Group. Then rotated the PF and it will push the seal into a position where you will be able to remove the PF and put a basket into it and finish seating the seal by locking it into place.
  • Thank you James and Stephen… I was able to successfully reseat last night per your recommendations.

This may have been a case of me being shy with force, as with after several back/forths with the basket less portafilter it seemed to finally seat. Was apprehensive about turning the handle with much strength...

All the best,
    Mark